Browsing: Preserving Fresh Cilantro

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Preserving Fresh Cilantro

Finding the best way to keep this herb, also know as coriander, will let you use it in meals year round. This guide is about preserving fresh cilantro.

Fresh Cilantro
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

March 11, 2013 Flag

I have had excellent results by chopping the whole bunch of cilantro into approximately 1 inch pieces and putting it all into the blender. Add approximately 1/2 cup of olive oil and turn the blender on to the lowest speed. Mine has a speed for chop and grate. You may have to carefully stir the top part to get it to rotate to the bottom of the blender. Be especially careful not to stir deep enough to touch the blender blades. It might be best to turn the blender off while doing this.

Stop the blender as soon as the entire bunch has reached the blades. The object is to achieve a coarse chop of all the cilantro. You don't want a puree. Remove the mixture from the blender and place in a container that closes tightly and store in the refrigerator. The oil and cilantro mixture will congeal. Then just spoon out as much as you need for your dish and stir it in.

I have only used this for dishes that I'm cooking but it has proven excellent for that. It will keep for months in the refrigerator.

Total Time: 15 minutes

• 1 bunch cilantro ($1.99)
  • 1/2 cup Olive Oil

Related Products:

February 24, 2010 Flag

Any tips about how to keep cilantro fresh and crisp? I try to dry it and it becomes damaged, then smelly and mushy. If I leave it alone (moist), it gets smelly and mushy. I've tried green bags, paper towels, leaving the container open in the fridge to pull moisture out, but nothing seems to work.

By Sandra from San Diego, CA

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I use a wide mouth jar, with about 1 inch of water. Trim the stems of the cilantro, and store in fridge in the jar. Put fresh water in about every 3 days. I do this for most fresh herbs that are not in my garden. Also works very well for asparagus.

I wash it first and put it on paper towel for like 2 to 3 hours on paper towel for dry. allow paper towel soak water on the cilantro, and then take another paper towel & put on it like separately not bunch of the cilantro. just spread on paper towel. and wrap it and put in one plastic bag and in fridge. Try it. I always do like that, and it keeps fresh about a week and half.

Grow a bunch from seeds and keep it in a sunny kitchen window then clip as much you need.

Wash and wrap in a paper towel (wet keeps paper towel moist ) then wrap in foil. Mine has stayed fresh for 4 weeks that way. My sister-n-law gave me this tip. Love it

March 10, 2010 Flag

For your cilantro to last longer, put them with the roots in a cup or container of tap water and leave it on the kitchen window sill. Take a sheet of newspaper or paper towel, dampen it, and wrap the cleaned cilantro. Put it in a plastic bag or sealed lunch box, and keep in the fridge.

For longer storage, you can also wash, dry and chop. Put it in blender by itself, or with different herbs, and pour in ice cube trays. Freeze until you need it. Then just take a cube, and add to your curry or soups.

By Dorty from SA

August 24, 2014 Flag

Can cilantro be frozen?

By Joan from Harrisburg, PA

Yes, if you blanch it in boiling water for a few seconds then cool it fast in ice water then pat dry and freeze.

August 14, 2008 Flag

To keep cilantro from wilting after you bring it home from the store, stand the bunch in a glass of water and stick it in the fridge. It will stay fresh for a week+. The same holds true for parsley.

By Anne from Green Bay, WI

March 3, 2010 Flag

How do you freeze cilantro?

By Trapper Cook from Riverton, Wy

Answers:

Preserving Fresh Cilantro

I rinse, pat dry very well, remove stems and place in doubled freezer bags. One of the great things about frozen fresh cilantro (or basil, etc) is that it easily crumbles when taken straight from the freezer and no need to chop ;-) (08/06/2009)

By Deeli

February 24, 2010 Flag

Can anyone tell me how to keep fresh cilantro? When I buy it, there is so much in a bundle that I have trouble using it all before it starts to go bad. I usually just keep it in the bag, it comes with a paper towel in it to absorb moisture and I leave the bag partially open to breathe. I'm sure there is a way that would keep it fresh longer.

Thanks for any tips.
Shirley from IA

Answers:

Keeping Cilantro (Coriander) Fresh

The best trick I have found is to simply wrap in a papertowel. It will keep it fresher longer. (02/27/2005)

By Jeanie

Keeping Cilantro (Coriander) Fresh

I placed the unwashed cilantro in a glass of water, covered with a plastic bag and keep refrigerated. The water is changed daily. (02/27/2005)

By Sandra

Keeping Cilantro (Coriander) Fresh

I cheat. I buy a freezable tube of cilantro paste by Gourmet Garden. It should be available in the produce section of your local market. It lasts 3 months in freezer and tastes great in salsas and other dishes. It's more expensive than a bunch of fresh cilantro, but because I use it all up (and waste 3/4 of the fresh stuff), I feel like I'm saving $ by using it. (09/23/2005)

By Sarah

Keeping Cilantro (Coriander) Fresh

If you have a Tupperware Fridgesmart container it will keep it fresh for about 10-12 days. It really works. (09/24/2005)

By Doris

Keeping Cilantro (Coriander) Fresh

Overall, the key for produce of any type to keep well is to treat it gently, no bruising. Yes, the papertowel wrapped around the cilantro or other green produce works well. Greens that are washed and then either gently patted with a clean towel or in a salad spinner, or whatever, to remove excess moisture then wrap in a paper towel then placed in a regular plastic grocery bag keep well.

Another option is to take fresh cilantro (or parsley) and trim the bottom a quarter inch or so to expose fresh stem bottoms, then to put this in a glass of water, but do not allow leaves to dip into water, just stems. When I harvest it I cut it close to the ground to have the longest stems to put in the glass and trim a bit as stated. Cool fresh water. Clean glass.

I just set this on the kitchen counter to use as needed. I do check it daily for any wilting and to trim the stems again every day or every other day, and change the water. This helps the cilantro to continue to "drink". It keeps pretty well, and is readily available. Either option works well, it does keep better in the refrigerator, but it fares quite well kept in a glass as described. (12/06/2005)

By Pippi

Keeping Cilantro (Coriander) Fresh

If only using for cooking or salsa, I freeze individual portions wrapped in papertowel and plastic wrap. It goes dark green, but tastes the same and is easy to cut up or blend while partially frozen. (02/27/2006)

By Lex

August 4, 2009 Flag

They have a great deal on cilantro right now. What is the best way to preserve fresh cilantro in your refrigerator?

Food and Recipes Food Tips Herbs and SpicesFebruary 6, 2013
Homemade Salsa
Salsa Recipes Without Cilantro
Dried Carrots
Drying Vegetables
dried cilantro
Drying Cilantro
Preserving Fresh Chives
Preserving Fresh Chives
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on September 25, 2016 at 8:58:13 PM on 10.0.2.220 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.