Preserving Fresh Hot Peppers

I grew a lot of hot peppers in my garden this year, and now I need a recipe on how to store them. Maybe in olive oil? Thank you.

Theresa from NY

Answers:

Preserving Fresh Hot Peppers

My family usually takes the hot peppers and places them in a clean narrow mouthed jar, such as an empty ketchup or syrup jar. Then pour in enough apple cider vinegar to cover the peppers and cap jar. Store in a cool, dry place. The hot pepper vinegar is good on greens or other vegetables. Or most any other ways that you may use vinegar. (09/06/2008)

By readingiggits

Preserving Fresh Hot Peppers

Are you talking about chilies? If you are (we Brits have a few different names for our veg), I simply freeze them. I don't blanch them or anything, just pop them straight in the freezer and when you take them out for cooking, just chop them while they are still frozen. They keep their flavour and colour perfectly. (09/07/2008)

Preserving Fresh Hot Peppers

I usually just cut the tops off and put them whole in a Ziploc freezer bag and put them in the freezer. If you want you can also half them. I have been doing this for all of my hot peppers as well as bells for years and it works great! Do not slice, the juice will make the peppers soggy.
(09/07/2008)

By Amy

Preserving Fresh Hot Peppers

Halving and freezing works good, but for use in cooking stew, chili, etc. I chop in food processor and put in ice cube trays and freeze. Then put the cubes in freezer bags in the freezer. Then just pop a cube in your stew, or chili , etc. (09/07/2008)

By tejas

Preserving Fresh Hot Peppers

While the idea of preserving in oil sounds tempting I think I read somewhere it's a bacteria risk. Other ideas sound good. Call your state agricultural university extension number.

They will know how do do it safely and tell you what your options might be. (09/07/2008)

By pikka

Preserving Fresh Hot Peppers

Got this from an 89 year old gentleman in Ashtabula, Ohio (my father in law,"JJ"). It works.

Place the washed dry peppers in clean jars. Heat a mixture of half white vinegar and water. Place one clove of garlic in the jar and add the heated liquid. Seal with sanitized clean lids. Wipe excess liquid from the rim and jar. Allow to cool. Place in storage.

They will be crisp and tangy from the vinegar, but good eats. (09/08/2008)

By Victor

Preserving Fresh Hot Peppers

You can make oils, but it's only recommended you keep them in the fridge and for about 10 days. I have frozen them. Another way to keep them is to dehydrate them. I also crush them so they are smaller pieces. One word of caution, use the dehydrator on a porch or downstairs away from where you are as the air will be pretty heavy with hot peppers! (09/08/2008)

Preserving Fresh Hot Peppers

My husband grills them then peels the skins off and then freezes them in foil and placed in a freezer baggy. (09/08/2008)

By Joanne

Preserving Fresh Hot Peppers

I've always just hung them in a wire basket in the kitchen and allowed to dry, place in Ziploc bags or old spice bottles. (09/08/2008)

By msburny

Preserving Fresh Hot Peppers

When I lived in New Mexico, people would just string them on thread and let them dry that way. They'd have them hanging outside. It is very dry there so it worked very well.

Susan

(09/08/2008)

By ThriftyFun

RE: Preserving Fresh Hot Peppers

Preserving Fresh Hot Peppers

My husband loves habenaro peppers, so when I find them, I freeze what I don't use in a Ziploc bag or even grocery produce bags. When I need some, I just pull out what I need to use, let them sit for just a few minutes and chop or cut up. I have not noticed any problems with this method. (09/08/2008)

By Chris

Preserving Fresh Hot Peppers

I thread my cayennes on a thick piece of thread (quilters thread or dental floss-not mint flavored) and hang in the window. When they are completely dried I crush and place in a spice bottle. (09/09/2008)

By Diana

A chile pepper cut lengthwise so you can see the seeds
Storing Chili Peppers
Freezing Bell Peppers, Canning Bell Peppers, Peeling Bell Peppers, Drying Bell Peppers, Storing Bell Peppers, Growing Bell Peppers, Selecting Good Bell Peppers, Red, Green and Yellow Bell Peppers
Peeling Bell Peppers
Freezing Hot Peppers
Freezing Hot Peppers
Selecting Good Bell Peppers
Storing Bell Peppers
🎉
🎄