How to Can Jalapeño Peppers

Category Canning
Hot packing is the most popular method of preserving jalapeño peppers. A hot vinegar and water solution with a bit of salt is added to the jars of whole or sliced peppers. This is a guide about how to can jalapeño peppers.

I canned two dozen half pint jars of jalepenos. I followed the processing time of the recipe of 10 minutes. I have since read on other sites that I should have increased the time an additional ten minutes for altitude adjustment. Everything is sealed, but I am worried about botulism now. Do you think it was heated properly being small jars or do I have to start over?

Answers

Best Answer

You do not say which canning method you used but water bath canning is safe for peppers. Most canning instructions sites are stating the following: Process pickled peppers in pints or half pints 10 minutes.

Time given is for an elevation of 1000 feet or less. Don't forget to adjust your time for your altitude.

You do not say what altitude adjustment you should have made; 5 minutes, 10 minutes, or even 15-20 minutes. I believe the amount of adjustment might/could make a difference in whether your peppers are safe.

Since you did not adjust for your altitude I am not really sure saying the jars are sealed means they are safe. Here is a link that discusses botulism. http://www.simp  om/botulism.html
I also found a site that gives clear instructions on how to test the seal on your jars - just to be safe. https://www.lit  ome-canning.html

Since peppers are high acid it is possible under cooking time will still be safe but if you have any doubt as to the safety of your jars I would recommend contacting your local county extension office and ask them for their opinion. You can locate your local office from this link. http://npic.ors  st/countyext.htm

I am looking for a recipe for canning jalapenos.

By mpeggy66

Answers

Best Answer

This is the simplest recipe that I have found for canning Jalapeno Peppers.

Step 1
Wash them.

Step 2
Pack them into canning jars. You can put them in whole, or (as I do) slice them up first. If you like, poke a clove of garlic in the jar.

Step 3
I add 1/2 teaspoon salt if putting them up in pint jars or 1 teaspoon for quarts.

Step 4
Mix White Vinegar and water in a saucepan. 1 cup water to 2 cups vinegar. Bring to a hard rolling boil.

Step 5
Pour into jars to cover peppers.

Step 6
Secure lids with bands, and invert them on a towel. You can turn them over in about 20 minutes or just let them cool completely before turning. This makes it easy to do one jar or several.

Harlean From Arkansas