Ask a QuestionHere are the questions asked by community members. Read on to see the answers provided by the ThriftyFun community or ask a new question.
Can kohlrabi be canned? I have some kohlrabi and would like to can it but don't know how. Please help.
Sweet & Sour Kohlrabi
2 lbs. shredded kohlrabi
1 Tbsp. kosher salt
1-1/2 cups Cider Vinegar
1/2 cup water
1 cup white sugar
1/2 Tbsp. whole cloves
1/2 tsp. ginger
1/2 Tbsp. peppercorns
Making this is a two day process. If you try skipping the first step the texture does not come out right.
Also, if you do not have kosher salt, canning salt works just as well.
1. Remove stems, leaves and roots of kohlrabi then peel
2. using a kitchen slicer with the smallest blade, shred kohlrabi. OR
3. using a food processor with a medium sized grating blade, grate kohlrabi making sure you get mice round pieces
4. place in bowl and sprinkle with salt
5. toss with hands making sure that the salt is evenly distributed
6. cover and allow to sit in a cool place for about 24 hours
1. Drain Kohlrabi
Makes about 6 pint jars
Can I can kohlradi
I see many places where is says to not pressure can kohlrabi; why not? And if you do, for how long, and do you have to put something in each jar when you do can it?
It seems to me that kohlrabi can be canned if it is pickled. There's a great recipe here: http://www.putt i-mustard-seeds/
Trim and peel kohlrabi. ...
In a medium-sized, non-ionized pot combine vinegar, water, and pickling salt.
Divide remaining ingredients between 4 sterilized pint jars.
Pack kohlrabi chunks into jars leaving approx. ...
Wipe rims, apply lids and rings (finger tight) and process in a hot water bath for 20 minutes.
Kohlrabi is better suited for feeezing than canning. Once thawed you can boil it or stir fry it.
I am looking for a recipe to canning my kohlrabi and cannot seem to find one. Any suggestions?
I pickled mine
Try Jackie Clay at Backwoods Home. If she hasn't canned it, you probably shouldn't.