VegetablesCanning

Processing Time for Canning Jalapenos

I canned two dozen half pint jars of jalepenos. I followed the processing time of the recipe of 10 minutes. I have since read on other sites that I should have increased the time an additional ten minutes for altitude adjustment. Everything is sealed, but I am worried about botulism now. Do you think it was heated properly being small jars or do I have to start over?

We are giving away $200 in Amazon gift cards (US only) for people who answer recent questions on ThriftyFun this month! Click here to find out more...

Best Answer

You do not say which canning method you used but water bath canning is safe for peppers. Most canning instructions sites are stating the following: Process pickled peppers in pints or half pints 10 minutes.

Time given is for an elevation of 1000 feet or less. Don't forget to adjust your time for your altitude.

You do not say what altitude adjustment you should have made; 5 minutes, 10 minutes, or even 15-20 minutes. I believe the amount of adjustment might/could make a difference in whether your peppers are safe.

Since you did not adjust for your altitude I am not really sure saying the jars are sealed means they are safe. Here is a link that discusses botulism. http://www.simp … om/botulism.html

I also found a site that gives clear instructions on how to test the seal on your jars - just to be safe. https://www.lit … ome-canning.html

Since peppers are high acid it is possible under cooking time will still be safe but if you have any doubt as to the safety of your jars I would recommend contacting your local county extension office and ask them for their opinion. You can locate your local office from this link. http://npic.ors … st/countyext.htm

Thank you for the links. At my altitude of 5432, I should have processed for 20 mins. Meaning I was at half. And I used water bath processing.

If your jars are sealed now you have completed the processing time correctly. I don't see a need to open the jars and reprocess the jalapenos.

If they're sealed they are still okay.