Growing Jalapeno Peppers

Category Growing Food
The jalapeno pepper is a popular, mildly hot, chili pepper often used in Mexican cuisine. It is also a good choice for your home garden. This is a guide about growing jalapeno peppers.

I had a lot of success last year with my jalapeno pepper plant and was wondering if I need to dig it up and replant again. Thank you.

Hardiness Zone: 7b

By Juanita from Salisbury, NC

Answers

Juanita, your planting hardiness zone is close to mine so I'll share my experiences. Unless the plant has naturally re-seeded (which is very iffy in the mid to upper U.S.) you will need to plant new seeds or new bedding plants every year. I don't count on the natural re-seeding, but if another plant happens to pop up, I just enjoy the extra harvest. Those home grown hot peppers are yummy, aren't they! Good luck and happy eats.

We lived in Orlando, FL, and had 1 pepper plant which thrived 3 whole years and bore so many peppers that we shared with everyone we knew. The 4th year, it fizzled out. It was in a very large container, and that might have had something to do with its living and bearing so long and good, I don't know.

We also grew a few tomatoes and 12 okra plants. Cooking the okra and tomatoes and a chopped onion together, then
adding just a single pepper, it made the most delicious side dish.

Good luck with your pepper plant.

Pookarina

Photos

Share on ThriftyFunCheck out these photos. Click at right to share your own photo in this guide.

My veggie garden is limited to a few pots on a patio instead of in a yard garden now. No matter where you grow your veggies or herbs of choice it's inspiring, intriguing and beautiful to watch them grow from infancy to maturity.

The first photo is of some of my jalapeno blossoms in very early July and the other photo is of them as of this morning and they're almost ready to pick 'lots of heat size' wise now.

I could wait until late Fall after they've completely matured to red and taste more mild but I love that hot green flavor the most. Okay, perhaps I should take a photo of one of these babies chopped and incorporated in one of my recipes, eh? ;-)

By Deeli from Richland, WA

Comment Like this photo? 11