Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Preventing Lint on Clothing

If you are tried of having to get out the lint roller after doing a load of wash; try something new. This is a guide about preventing lint on clothing.

May 9, 2005 Flag

This really helps cut down on lint and pet hair on clothes! Get some "netting" at a sewing shop, I found mine in the wedding section. Cut it into 6x6 inch squares, and toss one in the washer and a fresh one in the dryer, and bingo! It catches pet hair and lint.

By Diana

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Is the netting you used TULLE? The soft, thin netting that bridal veils are made of? If so, I'm about to jump on a YARD OF THE STUFF...I have 8 cats and a dog that sheds like there's no tomorrow!

Thanks...

-Kip

To remove lint from clothes, put in little white vinegar in the wash. Lint will not stick to the clothes as much.

By Sue

That is a great tip. My dryer broke a few weeks ago and I washed a tissue with my clothes last week. I had held off washing because there was still a little tissue in the washer so I tested the vinegar with a load of towels and sheets. It worked.

Want to wash your fleece without getting lint all over it? Wash it alone in cold water. May combine two pieces.

By 1thriftygal from MI

...also turn them inside out before washing. :)

White vinegar poured into your rinse cycle in your washing machine will help eliminate lint from the laundry.

Since lint is highly contagious, remove it before you put a garment in the closet. No clothing brush? Wrap a strip of masking or cellophane tape around your hand, adhesive side out, and move it across the garment.

I always have white fuzz like marks on my black clothes after they dry. I have to take a wet cloth and rub off the marks. Is there something I can do so this does not happen. Thanks

Moe11 from NY

Rince black clothing by adding some vinegar in cold water and drip dry.

Vinegar added during rinse? Or with first wash?

You might be overloading it. Also, always manually set the water level too, and avoid auto. All it is, is undisolved soap powder by the sounds of it :) good luck.

Every time I take a load of clothes out of the washing machine, they come out with fuzz balls all over them. What is the problem?

Sher from Buffalo, NY

One of two things happened. Either you had too many pieces of clothing in the wash load or your washer's lint trap needs cleaning. You'll most likely need to re-wash your load of clothes.

I never knew washers had lint traps!

Where is the WASHER'S lint trap? I didn't know there was such a thing???

March 7, 2011 Flag

I have a LG top loader washing machine. It is an I sensor, invertor, direct drive 9.5kg, wt-h950 model. Every wash comes out full of lint. I do clean the lint holder each wash and have tried more water than recommended. It is ruining my clothes. Can someone please give me some advice?

By Tess from Victoria

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Try adding 1 cup white vinegar to the wash load's rinse cycle. This really seems to cut down on lint. Also, if the lint holder is removable, take it to a sink and run water through it. If the water does not flow freely through it, it may be blocked with fabric softener residue, if you use fabric softener in the washer. If it is blocked, scrub with hot water and detergent until the water flows freely. It will then catch much more lint. If this turns out to be the case, clean it every couple of months. And turn all clothes inside out, and there will be less lint, and it will be out of sight.

I read a hint here on Thirfty Fun, buy a yard of nylon netting (cheap) unfold it and put in your dryer with 'linted' clothing. It works!

I always toss in a few of those "scrubby" mesh sponges for hand dishwashing into my washing machine. I keep 3 or 4 specifically just for laundry. You will be amazed at how much lint they catch which means that there is much less on your clothes.

May 3, 2015 Flag

My husband has a company shirt with an iron-on logo. Behind the logo is a white fabric where it's stitched. I wash it with the proper colors, however the shirt is always covered with white lint. How can I wash it without the white lint getting all over the shirt?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

December 14, 2014 Flag

I have a new wool sweater that gets lint all over the shirt I wear under it. Any suggestions to stop this?

By Jim

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

October 27, 2014 Flag

After washing my clothes small particles like cotton appear on the clothes mainly on dark colour clothes like dark blue or black.

By Santanu

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

December 10, 2007 Flag

How do I keep lint from getting on my clothes in the washing machine?

Patti from St. Petersburg, Fl

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I am having problems with lint in my washing machine. My old machine had a lint trap, this new one does not. when I pull out my laundry it's covered in lint. The clothing I dry isn't a problem, it'll come off in the dryer, but the shirts that I hang to dry aren't even wearable. I have to rewash them. I separate my wash, and I don't overload the machine. What do i need to do?

Kimberly from Oklahoma

Answers:

RE: Washer Lint Problem

Add 1 cup of vinegar to your wash cycle. White or apple cider will work equally well. This really softens and cuts the lint. Also don't wash fuzzy stuff--like towels--with smooth stuff. Wash colors and darks separately whenever possible. Use a clothes shaver if you get pilling. (02/15/2006)

By Mary

RE: Washer Lint Problem

If you have a regular tub/agitator machine you can fill 1/2 with water, add a good amount of white vinegar & allow it to agitate but not empty. Give the machine a break to 'soak', then agitate again. Allow the vinegar-water to sit in the tub between rounds. Do this for the whole day (on weekend?) to give the machine a good cleaning. Often soaking in vinegar will loosen trapped debris so it can go down the drain. It will clean the machine very well even if it does not stop your lint problem. Sounds like there must be some part in the machine that got clogged w/ lint or that there is a hidden lint trap. Read the instruction booklet or try to contact the manufacturer via toll free phone or internet for troubleshooting on the problem. Good Luck! (02/16/2006)

By kidsNclutter

Home and Garden Cleaning LaundryMarch 19, 2013
laundry room with utility sink, washer, and dryer
Making a Lint Trap for a Washtub Drain
Lint Roller
Uses for a A Lint Roller
lint roller
Removing Lint from Clothing
Preventing Towel Lint
Preventing Towel Lint
👒
🐰
You are viewing the desktop version of this page: View Mobile Site.
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on March 25, 2017 at 7:31:58 AM on 10.0.2.212 in 1 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.