Browsing: Preventing Lint on Clothing

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Preventing Lint on Clothing

If you are tried of having to get out the lint roller after doing a load of wash; try something new. This is a guide about preventing lint on clothing.

laundry basket of clean clothing
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

May 9, 2005 Flag

This really helps cut down on lint and pet hair on clothes! Get some "netting" at a sewing shop, I found mine in the wedding section. Cut it into 6x6 inch squares, and toss one in the washer and a fresh one in the dryer, and bingo! It catches pet hair and lint.

By Diana

January 16, 2005 Flag

To remove lint from clothes, put in little white vinegar in the wash. Lint will not stick to the clothes as much.

By Sue

February 25, 2008 Flag

I always have white fuzz like marks on my black clothes after they dry. I have to take a wet cloth and rub off the marks. Is there something I can do so this does not happen. Thanks

Moe11 from NY

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

What I do when I wash dark clothes is turn them inside out. Also, make sure you use liquid detergent so it gets mixed well. Hope this helps.

When I have had this problem, I discovered that by using less laundry detergent (you will be amazed how little it really takes to get clothes clean and fresh) and not washing as many clothes at one time, I was able to alleviate the problem completely. My problem was too many suds and too many clothes; the clothes couldn't circulate enough to rinse the suds out of the folds of fabric efficiently.

The best thing to use is a fabric shaver. http://www.filtrationtek.com/fabricshaver.htm The best one I know of is on the link.

Rince black clothing by adding some vinegar in cold water and drip dry.

Read More Answers...

March 7, 2011 Flag

I have a LG top loader washing machine. It is an I sensor, invertor, direct drive 9.5kg, wt-h950 model. Every wash comes out full of lint. I do clean the lint holder each wash and have tried more water than recommended. It is ruining my clothes. Can someone please give me some advice?

By Tess from Victoria

Try adding 1 cup white vinegar to the wash load's rinse cycle. This really seems to cut down on lint. Also, if the lint holder is removable, take it to a sink and run water through it. If the water does not flow freely through it, it may be blocked with fabric softener residue, if you use fabric softener in the washer. If it is blocked, scrub with hot water and detergent until the water flows freely. It will then catch much more lint. If this turns out to be the case, clean it every couple of months. And turn all clothes inside out, and there will be less lint, and it will be out of sight.

I read a hint here on Thirfty Fun, buy a yard of nylon netting (cheap) unfold it and put in your dryer with 'linted' clothing. It works!

Hi there, sometimes if you add a towel or that kind of material, like washcloths or sweaters, it might wash off more lint than usual? Hope it helps.

I always toss in a few of those "scrubby" mesh sponges for hand dishwashing into my washing machine. I keep 3 or 4 specifically just for laundry. You will be amazed at how much lint they catch which means that there is much less on your clothes.

June 5, 2008 Flag

Every time I take a load of clothes out of the washing machine, they come out with fuzz balls all over them. What is the problem?

Sher from Buffalo, NY

What mix of fabrics are you washing together? Are you stuffing your washer or leaving room for them to actually move in the agitation cycle?

Acrylic fibers in your clothes will fuzz almost immediately. Try to avoid clothes with acrylic in their content.

One of two things happened. Either you had too many pieces of clothing in the wash load or your washer's lint trap needs cleaning. You'll most likely need to re-wash your load of clothes.

I never knew washers had lint traps!

Read More Answers...

February 16, 2011 Flag

Want to wash your fleece without getting lint all over it? Wash it alone in cold water. May combine two pieces.

By 1thriftygal from MI

January 29, 2005 Flag

White vinegar poured into your rinse cycle in your washing machine will help eliminate lint from the laundry.

December 10, 2007 Flag

How do I keep lint from getting on my clothes in the washing machine?

Patti from St. Petersburg, Fl

I am having problems with lint in my washing machine. My old machine had a lint trap, this new one does not. when I pull out my laundry it's covered in lint. The clothing I dry isn't a problem, it'll come off in the dryer, but the shirts that I hang to dry aren't even wearable. I have to rewash them. I separate my wash, and I don't overload the machine. What do i need to do?

Kimberly from Oklahoma

Answers:

RE: Washer Lint Problem

Add 1 cup of vinegar to your wash cycle. White or apple cider will work equally well. This really softens and cuts the lint. Also don't wash fuzzy stuff--like towels--with smooth stuff. Wash colors and darks separately whenever possible. Use a clothes shaver if you get pilling. (02/15/2006)

By Mary

RE: Washer Lint Problem

If you have a regular tub/agitator machine you can fill 1/2 with water, add a good amount of white vinegar & allow it to agitate but not empty. Give the machine a break to 'soak', then agitate again. Allow the vinegar-water to sit in the tub between rounds. Do this for the whole day (on weekend?) to give the machine a good cleaning. Often soaking in vinegar will loosen trapped debris so it can go down the drain. It will clean the machine very well even if it does not stop your lint problem. Sounds like there must be some part in the machine that got clogged w/ lint or that there is a hidden lint trap. Read the instruction booklet or try to contact the manufacturer via toll free phone or internet for troubleshooting on the problem. Good Luck! (02/16/2006)

By kidsNclutter

January 5, 2005 Flag

Since lint is highly contagious, remove it before you put a garment in the closet. No clothing brush? Wrap a strip of masking or cellophane tape around your hand, adhesive side out, and move it across the garment.

Home and Garden Cleaning LaundryMarch 19, 2013
laundry room with utility sink, washer, and dryer
Making a Lint Trap for a Washtub Drain
Lint Roller
Uses for a A Lint Roller
lint roller
Removing Lint from Clothing
Preventing Towel Lint
Preventing Towel Lint
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on August 25, 2016 at 6:06:04 PM on 10.0.1.155 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.