Preventing Mildew On a Shower Curtain

How can I keep my shower curtain from mildewing?

MBE from Wilmington, DE

Preventing Mildew On a Shower Curtain

When your purchase your new vinyl curtain, before you hang it, soak it in salt water. This really does prevent mildew. I also towel dry my curtains after showering. It only takes a couple seconds and no mildew can grow. (12/05/2006)

By maryc

Preventing Mildew On a Shower Curtain

How well your bath is ventilated to remove moisture after one showers makes a big difference in keeping mildew at bay.

After each person showers, make sure they wipe down the stall to help it dry quicker. You'll be surprised at how much water is left on the walls. The excess moisture is what causes the mildew.

I also keep a small fan in our bathroom that blows air into the end of our tub/shower stall. The moving airstream dries out the stall and curtain quicker, disabling the mildew from forming in the first place.

In the summer when it's really hot and humid, we live in the South, I have a fan that blows cool air into the bathroom to help clear out the moist steam, and use it with the small fan that moves the air around the bathroom.

I also have two shower curtains that I alternate. While I soak and wash one, the other gets hung so anyone can shower. This allows me to thoroughly clean each before reusing.

I like the idea of filling a spray bottle with a water-vinegar solution and spraying the curtain after each use. I think we'll incorporate it into our routine too.

I know this seems like a lot, but like I said, in the South where it's always humid and the summers are very hot, we need to take extra precautions against mold and mildew. (12/06/2006)

By susanmajp

Preventing Mildew On a Shower Curtain
Cleaning up Mildew From Wood
Removing Mildew from Wood
Photo of a tent set up in the woods.
Removing Mildew from a Tent
Cleaning a Shower Curtain
Cleaning a Shower Curtain
Shower Enclosure
Cleaning a Shower Enclosure