Preventing Slips and Falls in a Bathtub and Shower

Anyone can be hurt by slipping while getting in or out of the bath. This guide is about preventing slips and falls in a bathtub and shower.

Shower
Filter Sort

Question: Ideas for Preventing Falls in the Shower

By edward1956 1 27

I slipped in the shower this morning! I fell right over the lip on the edge and smacked down hard on my left side. I pulled the shower curtain right down with me! Not the best way to start off my day to say the least. Anyhow, if anyone could offer me some assistance on stopping this mishap from happening again I'd be forever thankful. Please and thank you.

By edward1956 from Tacoma, WA

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By dollie 20 16 Flag

Sorry about your fall. Where I live we have bars side and end of tub and that is a great help, but to make it even safer I place towel in the bathtub. When I'm ready to get out I hang onto the bars, and with my feet scoot the towel to the end of the tub. Then I hold on to the the end bar and step out of the tub onto a non skid bath mat. To help even further I place terry cloth slippers beside the mat, insert my feet then I don't slip on the tile.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Tip: Preventing Bathtub Slip and Falls

By Litter Gitter 155 568

I love a tub bath, however, getting out of the tub can be kind of tricky for an old lady like me especially when the tub is slippery. I have found that placing a towel down in the tub before getting up makes it much easier. It keeps me from slipping and I have no fear of falling.

While standing in the tub on the towel, I dry myself off then turn around and wipe down the tile and around the tub. When I get out of the tub, I'm dry and so is the bathroom.

Bathtowel on floor of tub.

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Making a Bathtub Non-Slip

By Amanda 1

How do you make a textured tub non-slip?

By Amanda from MI

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By kathleen williams 76 1,661 Flag

Making your own non-slip tub mat. Rubberized shelf liner is perfect, or you can purchase strips of rubber matting at a home improvement store. The rubber doesn't have to be thick, since rubber of most any thickness will give a no-slip surface. The rubber can be cut into the general shape of the bottom of the tub, with no further hassle. Good luck.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Tip: Using Shower Curtains with Shower Chair

By KatherineC 21 12

When my husband needed to start using a long shower chair, the kind that is halfway out of the tub, we needed to come up with a way to keep the water inside the tub. I put up two shower curtains, side by side, so there is plenty of plastic and he sits on part of one curtain to make sure it is secure. This has worked very well to keep the floor dry.

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Home and Garden Home Improvement BathroomMay 12, 2013
      ThriftyFun on Facebook ThriftyFun on Pinterest Enter a Contest Free Newsletters Ask a Question Share a Post
      Porcelain bathtub.
      Removing Paint from a Porcelain Bathtub
      Photo of decals stuck to the bottom of a bathtub.
      Removing Bathtub Decals
      A bathtub.
      Cleaning a Textured Bathtub Floor
      Shower Enclosure
      Cleaning a Shower Enclosure
      © 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 8, 2016 at 10:37:00 AM on 10.0.0.125 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.

All ArticlesSolutionsQuestions
      NewestOldestMost HelpfulLeast HelpfulMost AnswersFewest AnswersBest AnswersRelevance
      Site MenuShare a PostContestsAsk a QuestionAbout ThriftyFun
      BrowseAll By DateAll GuidesAll QuestionsAll VideosRecent FeedbackLonely Questions
      CategoriesBetter LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness & LegalConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood & RecipesGarage SalesHealth & BeautyHolidays & PartiesHome & GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsTravel & RecreationWeddings