Problems with Neighbors Cats

Hi folks , I am having MAJOR problems with my neighbors cats ( live in a manufactured home community) and they let cats run wild. I own no cats, yet my entire driveway and yard is FILLED with cat poop. I can't walk to my car without being assaulted! I am tired of cleaning my driveway EVERYDAY and I want my 1yr old daughter to be able to play in her yard without all the poop land mines.

Nicole

Answers:

Problems with Neighbors Cats

First, are you sure it is your neighbor's cats you're having a problem with? I have never heard of cats pooping all over. Cats normally dig a hole before they poop and cover up afterwards. What you describe sounds more like a dog to me.

Cat repellent sprays and gels are available from many plant nurseries, pet stores, and some hardware stores (Shake-Away, Cat Stop and Scat are a few names). You can also try making up your own repellent using a number of scents that cats dislike. We suggest trying the following:

• A mix of ground black pepper & chili
  • Scatter citrus peel (oranges & lemons) around the garden
  • Place pine cones around near garden borders
  • Plant geraniums, marigolds and petunias, cats apparently dislike those plants
  • Grow spiky plants near areas you want to keep cats from (base of trees that attract birds)
With thanks to the Community Biodiversity Network for these hints.

(09/22/2004)

By FlaKathy

Problems with Neighbors Cats

I put chicken wire down in the gardens in between the plants, and the cats do not like to dig in wire.Our neighbor had the same problem and we put big rocks in between the chicken wire and planted in the wire, so there was no space to dig and squat. The plants grew up and there was no room left. The stuff in the drive way is dog doo. We also had a squirt bottle handy , when a cat came wandering. Just water in the bottle works.

(09/25/2004)

By Susan from Hamilton

Problems with Neighbors Cats

I've never tried this myself, but apparently you get some plastic soft drink bottles and fill them with water, then place them around the yard. That's it! For some reason this is supposed to keep intruding cats and dogs away. Hope it works! (10/12/2004)

By Cathy

Problems with Neighbors Cats

Wow, that's a big problem! I read 33825-4730's response and I believe he/she may be right when he/she talked about cats burying their waste, and that it may be dog's going in your yard. As for the cats, I used to have alot of cats hang around my yard as well. I just bought a large outside dog to scare off the cats, they haven't showed up since then.
(11/10/2004)

By Steven S

Problems with Neighbors Cats

We have one of those odd cats. We have a fenced in yard. I have seen our orange female fixed cat poop and pee all over the yard doesn't even try to bury it. There is even a covered litter box outside. We have 3 cats in this area. One climbs the fence and leaves when she chooses and uses the box. another uses the box ( we can see it from the kitchen sink window) the orange one goes anywhere just squats and poops and walks away. Its killing the lawn and makes for an annoying minefield. We used cat repellent powder didn't do any good because cats "normally" smell the ground first and thats how the repellent works well our cat doesn't smell the ground so repellents don't work. We can't spray her because we aren't going to sit outside all day and watch the cat hoping she goes to do it we have to work. We are at our wits end. (01/19/2005)

By Joe

Problems with Neighbors Cats

Hi, I do a lot of cat rescue work and I know what you mean about people who let their cats run wild. Those cats are probably unaltered as well, which contributes to the problem of overpopulation and also nuisance behavior and noise.

To start with, you might talk to the management of the complex about requiring that their tenants spay/neuter their cats. That will cut down on the population. As for the cats who are already there, there may be a cat group in your area that will spay or neuter them for free. Check the internet for listings. Having said that, there are some things you can do to discourage cats from coming into your yard. Sprinkling citrus peels around (they hate the smell), putting a sprinkler out there or spraying them with the hose may also deter them. It's hard to imagine them pooping in the driveway - cats bury their poop so either there's just no place for them to go or possibly it's a small dog... but they will get into your yard and flower beds. The main thing is to remember that it's not the fault of the cats - it's the irresponsible owners. Good Luck. (05/03/2005)

By Ginger

Neighbor Cat on a fence
Problems with Neighbors' Cats
Dealing With Stray Cats
Dealing With Stray Cats
Giving Christmas Gifts to Neighbors
Giving Christmas Gifts to Neighbors
Treating and Vet Examining Cat
Treating and Preventing Urinary Tract Problems in Cats
Two couples, who are neighbors, talking.
Getting to Know Your Neighbors
🎉
🎄