Question
Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Propagating Hydrangeas

0 0EmailFollow
Pin It
Propagating Hydrangeas

Propagating hydrangeas from cuttings is surprisingly easy and a great way to increase your plantings and share with neighbors. This is a guide about propagating hydrangeas.

Solutions: Propagating Hydrangeas

Read and rate the best solutions below by giving them a "thumbs up".

Tip: Propagating Hydrangeas

If you love hydrangeas, as I do, now is the time to propagate them. If you don't have one, maybe a neighbor would let you take a few cuttings. It won't harm the existing plant, so don't be shy in asking. In about 6 weeks you'll be able to plant the cuttings in their permanent site. Hydragea flower.

I took my cuttings from a Macrophylla Hydrangea. They are very adaptable, I have one planted on the north side of my house (shady) and one on the south side (sunny) and some in dappled sun, under trees. They all bloom beautifully! I have propagated all my hydrangeas this way, but I recently read you can place the cuttings in water to root them. You might want to try that.

Approximate Time: 1/2 hour

• hydrangea cuttings
  • sphagnum peat moss
  • vermiculite
  • perlite
  • rooting hormone
  • paper plate or scrap cardboard
  • 6 - 4 inch pots
  • tray to place pots in
  • watering can
  • water
  • scissors
Potting supplies.

Instructions:

1. Prepare the growing medium first. Mix equal parts of peat moss, vermiculite, and perlite.
  2. Put mixture into 4 inch pots, add water to moisten.
  3. Place the prepared pots on the tray.
  4. Take 6 cuttings from the newer green growth, preferably without flower buds, about a quarter inch thick and 6 inches long. Gently strip all but the top leaves. (Too many leaves make the cutting strain to feed all those leaves.)
  5. Hydrangea plant. Hydrangea cutting.

6. Pour about a tablespoon of rooting hormone on a paper plate (read label for any precautions). Wet the bottom inch of each cutting, roll the wet part of cuttings in the rooting hormone. Poke your finger in the peat moss mixture about 2 inches deep, to form the hole for your cutting. Place each cutting into holes and push dirt back into place.
  7. Potted Hydrangea cuttings.

8. Pour a little water in the tray. (You could cover in plastic if desired) I don't cover; I keep in a shady spot for about 6 weeks, water to keep moist but not drenched.
  9. After 6 weeks, acclimate the plant to where you want to plant it. Check to see if there seems to be enough rooting system to plant your cuttings. If so, plant in groups of 3. (3 cuttings should be sufficient to form a nice hydrangea) Place a marker where you planted it, they lose their leaves in winter and you might forget about it.

Give a "thumbs up" to the solution that worked the best! Do you have a better solution? Click here to share it!

Here are questions related to Propagating Hydrangeas.

Question: How Do I Propagate Hydrangeas?

I have tried to propagate hydrangeas and have not had any luck. When is the best time to take the cuttings? Any help will be very much appreciated with detailed propagation tips.

By Theresa from St Charles, MO

Most Recent Answer

By Susan Mickelson [6]04/30/2010

My best friend, whom I call my Master Gardener, Has started new hydrangeas by laying a low branch on the ground in the soil. She places something like a rock on the branch to keep it held down. By next spring, you should be able to cut the main branch from the "Mother" bush and transplant your new bush where you want. Good luck! It has worked for her. Lots of shrubs can be done this way.