Pruning a Hibiscus

When can you prune a hibiscus plant? It is outside in a bed facing south. We live in the Houston area.

Jan from Houston, TX

Pruning a Hibiscus

I've always pruned my hibiscus in late January or February. I also live in Houston. Mine are potted patio plants. A friend of mine had one in the ground and it got completely out of hand leaning and spreading till it took over too much space. She took the attitude "If it dies it will just be dead" and pruned that rascal back to about 8 inches. That turned out to be a very good thing. It was beautiful the following year and shaped nicely. (12/26/2008)

Pruning a Hibiscus

I would do it while the plant is dormant, but check with a local nursery to check conditions in your area. (12/27/2008)

By Allison

Hand deadheading hibiscus blossoms from a mature plant.
Pruning a Hibiscus
Pruning a Hedge
Pruning a Hedge
Growing Hibiscus
Growing Hibiscus Plants
Transplanting a Hibiscus
Transplanting a Hibiscus
Hibiscus Flower
Getting Hibiscus Flowers to Bloom