Pruning a Hibiscus

Category Pruning
Hand deadheading hibiscus blossoms from a mature plant.
Knowing the best time to prune your flowering shrubs can not only improve their shape, but will not disrupt their blooming. This is a guide about pruning a hibiscus.

What is the best time of year to trim a hibiscus in AZ? How do you do it?

By Sandie from Apache Junction, AZ

Best Answer

I would do it while the plant is dormant, but check with a local nursery to check conditions in your area.

When and how do you prune a hibiscus plant?

Prune in late summer or early fall.

it would take a lot of explaining so here is an excellent web site that will explain everything you need to know:

https://www.gar  une-hibiscus.htm

From gardeningknowhow.com:

Before pruning hibiscus, make sure your pruning shears are sharp and clean, preferably sterilized with alcohol gel, to prevent the spreading of any disease from affected branches. When pruning hibiscus plants, they should be cut about a third of the way back, leaving at least two to three nodes on the branches for new growth to emerge. These cuts should be made just above the nodes, leaving about a quarter inch. Remove any weak, diseased, or dead growth, as well as crossing or leggy branches. Branches that are growing toward the center of the plant should also be removed.

How can I keep my hibiscus pruned to a certain height throughout the summer, but still have flowers blooming constantly? Last year when I cut them back, I didn't get the flowers.

By Brenda from Phoenix, AZ

When can you prune a hibiscus plant? It is outside in a bed facing south. We live in the Houston area.

Jan from Houston, TX

Answers:

Pruning a Hibiscus

I've always pruned my hibiscus in late January or February. I also live in Houston. Mine are potted patio plants. A friend of mine had one in the ground and it got completely out of hand leaning and spreading till it took over too much space. She took the attitude "If it dies it will just be dead" and pruned that rascal back to about 8 inches. That turned out to be a very good thing. It was beautiful the following year and shaped nicely. (12/26/2008)

Pruning a Hibiscus

I would do it while the plant is dormant, but check with a local nursery to check conditions in your area. (12/27/2008)

By Allison

I have had a Hibiscus tree for about 3 years now and it is still hardy. I bring it in in the winter. It is getting very large and growing outward. Can I prune it? If so when is the best time? Where should I cut? I am afraid to kill it seeing as I do not have any information on Hibiscus. I have scoured the net but have not found anything about pruning.

Barb from Phila., PA

Pruning a Hibiscus

Answers:

Pruning a Hibiscus

(title-green)Q:(/title) Can anyone tell me how far back I need to prune my hibiscus? It has been inside this summer. I have a few leggy limbs with new growth, so I would like to keep them. Its sister looks great. They are the twisted branch type.

(title-green)A:(/title) Lynn,

A hibiscus can live for 20 years or more, and can be kept small by regular pruning. Pruning will invigorate the plant and also give it a better shape. Pruning is usually done in the late winter, but can actually be done anytime. To increase the bushiness of your plant, carefully assess how you want to shape it before selecting which branches to prune. Cut back the selected branches by about 1/3, keeping in mind that new growth will occur below each cut. Leave 2-3 leaf nodes (where leaves once grew) on each branch and leave about 1/2 inch of wood between the eye of the node and the cut. Keep the direction of the nodes in mind before pruning. Leaf nodes pointing out, will produce new growth that points in an outward direction. Nodes facing in will produce new growth pointing back toward the center of the plant.

Ellen Brown is an environmental writer and photographer and the owner of Sustainable Media, an environmental media company that specializes in helping businesses and organizations promote eco-friendly products and services. Contact her on the web at http://www.sustainable-media.com (10/20/2005)

By ThriftyFun

Pruning a Hibiscus

I have two Hibiscus bushes in my front garden that are about 8 feet tall and growing out over my entrance way. How low should I prune them down? By the way, I live in central Florida so we don't see too many frosts. (11/11/2007)

By Jon

Pruning a Hibiscus

I live in Savannah, GA and have planted many hibiscus trees this spring which have flourished. Now I need to know how to prune them as they are now 8' feet tall from 3' feet. Just had temperatures in the 20's and leaves and blossoms are dropping. (01/07/2008)

By newgardener

Pruning a Hibiscus

Well, its a job like taking care of children I have found that out, I also went to a site Hidden Valley Hibiscus which helped me out a lot. I wasn't planing on this, but God has a way of getting you out of the house I see, when your a hermit like myself, lol. I moved into a place that had these trees, I know nothing of them, well this year the leaves started turning yellow.

So here I am, and I am learning, this is like taking care of children, family, me. I will search the web for pictures of pruned Hibiscus, that would be a great help, because I don't know what a pruned Hibiscus looks like, I know my tree could be more full, and these trees have their own food, now come on. Well, let me learn how to take care of the new member of the family. ;) (05/04/2008)

By Thea

Pruning a Hibiscus

Wait, I have found out each type of Hibiscus flower has its own name like our names. Yes, like Mary, Henry, yes, this is going to be fun. hehe (05/04/2008)

By Thea

Pruning a Hibiscus

My hibiscus is about 7 feet tall and very thin. Can I cut it down to a shorter height without killing it? (05/21/2008)

By Susan

Pruning a Hibiscus

Hi, just found your site. I have two hardy hibiscus at the back of my house in the ground with an eastern exposure, and I have always cut back the bushes in late fall after blooming has stopped all the way to the ground. Each spring they are the last to put out shoots but I have the fullest hibiscus with the most blooms of anyone in town (small town). The bush blooms from June through Sept. As I write this we still have blooms and seed pods. Harvested the seed pods and am going to try to germinate the seeds this year. Thanks for all your info on this site. (09/17/2008)

By Margi in Ky

Pruning a Hibiscus

I have had a hibiscus for about 2 years. I don't want to kill it. How do I trim it? It's growing crazy. (09/28/2008)

By cassey

Pruning a Hibiscus

I just trimmed the tips of my hibiscus which has grown over the fence, to remove all the seed pods. I don't want to have a thousand seedling in the spring. My plan is to do some cutting from the tree in early spring. Propagation for hibiscus is the best done in the early spring (late March) based on my experience. I tried to do cutting in April, and I guess it was too late. The cutting didn't root.

IN Zone 5b (10/03/2008)

By Quinike

RE: Pruning a Hibiscus

Pruning a Hibiscus

I just bought a beautiful 6' tree. Pink flowers. Still flowering as it was outside until just recently. The last tree I had would never flower after I first bought it. Can someone give me strong hints on forcing flowering. I have a South facing solarium with full sun. shirelyfisher AT hotmail.com (10/20/2008)

By shirely

Question:

I have a hibiscus tree, or a rose of sharon. When is the best time to cut it back? It got infested with aphids and the leaves are not pretty. It has a little new growth on the tips. Should I just leave it alone?

Thank you,
Lorraine from Zolfo Springs, FL

Answer:

Lorraine,

Because it sounds like you're planning on doing some heavy pruning, you're better off waiting until February or March. Since hibiscus blooms on new growth, any pruning during the active growing season will reduce or delay blooming. Light pruning done over the course of several months might be a better solution. You can maintain their size and shape by removing only the longest one third of the branches at one time. A month later cut the next longest third and the remaining third of the branches a month after that. Of course maintenance pruning (removing dead or diseased wood and weak or crossed branches) can be done at any time. If you want fewer, but larger flowers, you'll get them with frequent, severe pruning. Lighter, less frequent pruning (or no pruning at all) will give you smaller flowers, but more of them.

Frequently spraying the leaves with a strong jet of water from the garden hose is a great way to control aphids without using chemicals. Spray you hibiscus off once or twice a week and make sure you get the undersides of the leaves.

Ellen

We have a large Hibiscus growing in the front garden. We want to trim it back now that the blooms have stopped, and eventually move it to another location, possibly splitting the root pack.