Buds Falling Off Hibiscus Plant?

Category Plant Health
Determining the cause of bud drop, will be rather like sleuthing. There are a number of reasons this could happen and you will need to discover the cause through planned trial and error. This is a page about buds falling off a hibiscus plant.

My hibiscus appear to currently have bud drop and a leaf fungus. I wonder what to do now in my area (western KY) now that we're heading into fall. Is it too late in the year to trim, or make amends?

Answers

Best Answer

If this is a white fungus it is important to tackle this immediately. The longer you wait the harder it is to get rid of. There are several things you can do.

Step 1
Avoid high nitrogen fertilizer because they will promote new growth and the new growth is prone to the disease.

Step 2
Trim the affected growth immediately. Dispose of the infected growth and never add it to your compost pile.

Step 3
Spray the plant with Neem oil. You will need to mix 2 tablespoons of neem oil with a gallon of water. Use a pump sprayer to apply the solution to the leaves of the plant. Spray all the mildew on the plant. Repeat this weekly until the mildew is gone.

Step 4
You can make an organic spray using 1 teaspoon of baking soda and a few drops of vegetable oil with a quart of water. Spray all the infected area of the plant. Repeat this weekly until the mildew is gone.

Best Answer

Although I live in Florida I believe treating these problems will be about the same method.

Step 1
I always trim any diseased part of my bushes off as soon as I'm aware its there. Then i can get a good look at what may be causing the problem. i believe you would be safe to do this also even though it is getting late in the season.

Step 2
Your plants will over winter better if they are healthy. I do not know how you over winter your plants but I always have to place a lot of mulch around mine and if a hard freeze is in the forecast, I try to cover some parts even if I cannot cover the complete plant. I only have one potted hibiscus and it goes inside on cold nights/days.

Step 3
The best treatment I have found for any bug/disease on my hibiscus is insecticidal soap.

Step 4
This can be purchased in the garden department at any of your large stores or even on-line from Amazon, Walmart, Lowe's. It can be used safely on almost any plant and is really good for rose problems also.

Step 5
I do have a site that has instructions for making your own insecticide soap but you may need to plan that for later as your plants probably need attention ASAP.

Step 6
www.todayshomeowner.com/.../

Good luck and I hope your hibiscus lives many years as the Luna is one of the prettiest ones around.

How can I keep the new buds from falling off my hibiscus plants on my deck?

By Ann

Answers

Best Answer

Hi! Your hibiscus may have a nutrient deficiency or overload, too much or too little water, could also be a soil pH issue, or an insect pest. I would bet your problem is nutrient deficiency or soil pH problem. What kind of soil is it potted in (where did you get it? if bought was it 'potting mix', general use, or maybe a specific use medium?) and do you fertilize it at all? If so, with what and how often? Lastly, how much sun does it get per day and how often do you water?

Home and Garden Gardening Plant HealthJune 18, 2018
😎
📓
🐛
😷
🌻
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Buds-Falling-Off-Hibiscus-Plant-1.html