Protecting My Hibiscus Plant From Little Green Worms

Category Pest Control
The caterpillar or larval stage of several insects enjoy munching on hibiscus plant leaves. This is a guide about protecting my hibiscus plant from little green worms.

I want to know what is eating my hibiscus tree. It is a green worm like insect. It is eating the leaves. I have put soapy warm water on them and it does slow them down. I want to naturally get rid of them. Does anyone have any idea what they are and how can I get rid of them?

By Sue

Answers

Best Answer

I had a problem for years with the green worms on my hiabiscus and I tried everything. Then last year I planted tomato plants next to the hibiscus and I planted marigolds under the bush and I have no more of these worms. So I feel the marigolds worked. So for everyone out there with the same problem you may want to plant marigolds under your bush. I hope this helps It did for me. lilac 10

How to get rid of the little green worms on my hibiscus?

Answers

Make a spray of 5 cups of water with 1 Tbsp mild dish soap and spray on

Insecticidal soap works well on all kinds of insects

Does it look like this horrible critter:

www.planetnatural.com/.../

If so, it is a sawfly. This site has solutions, but the easiest is to wear gloves and pick them off, if you want to kill them, you can drown them in warm water with soap. I hate that part of the process but if they are too much of an infestation, sometimes you have to.

The most natural solution (mother nature's choice) is if you have bird feeders, move them to near the affected plants as most birds love these things, then spray the bugs off the plants and on to the ground where the birds will eat them up! Snack time!!

Hope this helps! They are nasty critters!

Name: sawfly
These nasty little critters dearly love hibiscus and mallow leaves! If you only have one or two bushes you may be able remove them with hand picking but has to be consistent - like every day or two or they will destroy the bush very quickly.

• If you hand pick them be sure to wear thick gloves and have a container of water with some soap mixed in close by to drop them in.
  • You can take a hose with a medium strong spray and wash the plants to remove some of them - I rake up the fallen worms and discard them but most people seem to think it is okay to leave them on the ground?
  • Ad

• You can sometimes control them with Neem or Insecticidal Soap. Both can be found in garden centers.
  • Here is a recipe to make your own insecticidal soap:
  • www.todayshomeowner.com/.../
  • You can read about other suggestions but consistency is the thing that counts the most.
  • homeguides.sfgate.com/hibiscus-worms-81849.html

Normally these are called sawfly and love to go on hibiscus plants. If you try to drown them in soapy water it won't work. All you can basically do is examine the leaves and pick the worms off. You'll need to crush them in order to kill them. You'll need to check your plants daily and keep removing them until they are gone.

I have used tobacco sprays in my plants to eliminate plants here's a recipe

probably the best aside from that and soap spray is to pick them off by hand, as alluded to by others here

here's a good link to other pest control solutions www.appropedia.org/Making_homemade_pest_control_solutions
from the above link, the rhubarb leaf spray sounds promising. Or barring rhubarb leaves i believe you could use kale too as it is also high in oxalic acid (though rhubarb leaf is way higher hence its toxicity to humans)
" It is suitable for use on aphids, woolly aphids, horned and stink bugs, caterpillars, sawfly larvae, whitefly and leaf miner adults.[1] However, bear in mind that rhubarb leaves are toxic to humans too and must not be ingested. All care must be taken when storing this poisonous spray, including keeping it out of the reach of children and pets.

Rhubarb leaves spray #1[3]
Select 1 kilogram/2 pounds of rhubarb leaves in 2 litres/4 pints of water. Do not use an aluminum saucepan.
Boil for about half an hour (30 minutes).
Remove from the heat. Allow to cool completely.
Strain the cooled liquid to remove the leaves. Pour into a suitable container, such as a large spray bottle.
Add sufficient pure soap to create a frothy mixture. This helps the spray to stick.
Label clearly. Place out of reach of children and pets in a dark, cool place.
Use as needed. Spray on plants infested with non-beneficial insects, targeting those only.
Rhubarb leaves spray #2[1]
Pick 10 rhubarb leaves.
Chop the leaves roughly. Add to a bucket or bowl.
Boil sufficient water to cover the leaves. Pour the boiled water into the bucket with the chopped leaves, to cover. Cover with a lid, plate or other covering. Leave to cool.

Strain out the leaves. Discard the leaves.
Dilute the rhubarb leaf mixture. Add 1 litre of water to dilute the spray.
Use as needed. This should be used within a few days of making it."

I need some help. We have several hibiscus plants and every year they are attacked by something that eats the leaves, they look like tiny green worms and they leave the leaves looking like lace. The plant continues to grow and flower, but the plant looks terrible. We have tried everything, can someone tell us what this is and how to take care of it?

Debbie

Answers:

Have you tried using soapy (with Palmolive green) water? Try it every couple of days for a week or two and if they are anything akin to things like aphids, they will disappear. (05/17/2005)

By lahlbrand

I mix dish soap and water and spray the leaves, every couple of days. This works on most bugs; just a little soap goes a long way. (05/17/2005)

By Susan from Hamilton

You can buy B.T. (bacillus thuriengisis) at any nursery. It's actually a bacteria that gets into almost every kind of above-ground worm and kills it dead. We use it routinely for cabbage, Brussel sprouts, any greens, and even rhubarb. I don't see any reason it wouldn't work on your hibiscus. The best part is, it's totally harmless to any other life form, including kids and pets. (05/18/2005)

By Coreen