Transplanting a Hibiscus

Category Transplanting
When transplanting a hibiscus there are some things to consider to ensure the success of your new plant. This is a guide about transplanting a hibiscus.

My hibiscus has outgrown its pot and is overflowing. My question is, do I cut off some of the roots? They go way down in the ground from the drainage hole. I want to put it in another pot because I have rental. I've never done this before. And when should I do this?

Answers

The best time to transplant is in the winter, when the plant is dormant. I don't think that cutting the root structure is ever a good idea, just find one bigger so that it can accomodate.

People who cut roots like for bonsai know exactly what they are doing, when to cut, how much, etc and without that knowledge you might kill it.

The best time to transplant is in the fall. Take the plant out of the pot, and try to gently separate the roots. It's best not to cut.

I brought a new hibiscus and changed the plant pot and made it a patio garden plant. But I saw that the leaves were dropping off daily. Yesterday I noticed that all the leaves have dropped off and the stem of the plant is all that is left. I have done pruning to the stem and noticed that the cells of it have not yet died. Can you please let me know what I should do to make the nodes grow and keep the plant alive.

Answers

I was partly raised in Hawaii and remember our old Japanese gardener advising my mother against planting hibiscus in pots but did not know why (she wanted to have a "flowery" but screened patio to avoid skeeters). Checked online for answers-successfully planting hibiscus in containers is tricky, as the site below explains. I doubt you can revive your plant at it's current stage. Consistent watering (sometimes twice daily) and specific plant food are critical to success:

http://www.gard  ntainer-care.htm

Can you transplant hibiscus and garden flox from one area of a garden to another? If so, when is the best time to do this and how do you do it? If not, can you start plants from stems of these plants?

By Linda from Brighton, MI

Answers

The best time to transplant a hibiscus is when it is dormant. I have transplanted them in early spring before they put out green shoots. I have transplanted garden phlox in the spring and seem to get so many seedlings every spring so I dig them out and give them away.

My brother has a hibiscus that was cut back this spring and the new growth is starting. I want to know if it is still OK to transplant it now or do we have to wait until fall. I would also like to know if when I do dig it up can I break it up. It has been growing for at least six or more years now and gets very big.

By Holly S.