Overwintering a Hibiscus

In colder climates you will want to bring your hibiscus indoors in the winter. They can reside in the garage or in the house. If they do not go dormant you will need to water sparingly. This page contains useful information regarding overwintering a hibiscus.

I brought in a double hibiscus tree for the winter. It is still blooming but the leaves are turning yellow and it is dropping some buds. What am I doing wrong or how do I stop this?

Anne H.

Answers

By Phil (Guest Post)
Best Answer

I bring my hibiscus inside every year. It usually loses some of its leaves but comes back out. I leave it in full sunlight by a window.

Answer this Question

2 More Questions

I'm told that I can bring my hibiscus plant (in a pot) in for the winter. It is only 2 1/2 feet tall and still has about 8 buds on it. It has a bloom right now. Should I cut it back? Some say to leave it in the garage to go dormant. I could, but still don't know if I should cut it back. I live in southern Michigan.

Answers

When I used to have them in NO VA, I just brought them in and our basement had a sunny slider and they lived out winter there. It was a heated room so that was critical as they need to be at at least 50 degrees. I never cut mine back. They sometimes lost leaves, but sometimes not.

If you don't have a sunny spot to keep them going, you can winter them just the same, just make sure they stay at at least 50 degrees. Don't worry about cutting back you can prune in the spring if needed.

Here is probably more info than you need about these lovely plants. They are beautiful. I miss mine (I moved and had to leave them behind).

old.post-gazette.com/.../20011222quest1222fnp7.asp

I would not cut it back. Leave it in a place that gets sun and water evenly.

I would only trim when you want to shape it up or if it needs cutting back

because it got too leggy (not enough light/warmth) and then you can trim it almost anytime after it blooms.

Pghgirl is right about the 50 degrees as I live in Florida and I have to protect my plants when the temperature drops below 50.

Try not to over water it while you have it indoors and it needs sunshine or a light several hours a day.

southern Michigan gets very cold, and if this is a plant that does not do well in under 50 degrees, then maybe having it go dormant, if you can't be assured to provide it the light/warmth it needs, might be the way to go

Answer this Question

Click to read more ideas from older posts on ThriftyFun.

Home and Garden Gardening ShrubsNovember 9, 2018
🐛
🌻
📓
😷
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Overwintering-a-Hibiscus-1.html