Transplanting a Hibiscus

My hibiscus has outgrown its pot and is overflowing. My question is, do I cut off some of the roots? They go way down in the ground from the drainage hole. I want to put it in another pot because I have rental. I've never done this before. And when should I do this?

The best time to transplant is in the winter, when the plant is dormant. I don't think that cutting the root structure is ever a good idea, just find one bigger so that it can accomodate.

People who cut roots like for bonsai know exactly what they are doing, when to cut, how much, etc and without that knowledge you might kill it.

The best time to transplant is in the fall. Take the plant out of the pot, and try to gently separate the roots. It's best not to cut.