Puppy Bites When Playing

I have a 5/6 month old male Pom that we are having a few issues with. He loves playing (as all puppies do), but he thinks he has to bite and hold on to play. Buddy will nip at your feet every time you walk; or try to chew your hands when sitting.

He loves to play with his toys and when we play retrieve he will drop his toy for me to throw again, but bite my hand when I reach for the ball, etc. Sometimes when he brings the toy to me he will just drop it and grab my hand. I correct him every time he does this, but he seems awfully stubborn.

Are shock/vibrate training collars an option in this situation? Anyone out there with some ideas? Buddy is a handsome boy with a white collar like a collie, and reddish brown body with mostly white tail and paws.

By Nelwyn from Bunkie, LA

Answers:

Puppy Bites When Playing

You have to realize puppy is not being nasty by biting. He too is a baby. He is trying to find someone to play with. You need to play with puppy and take him for walks with the baby and find great chewing toys for him to play with. Watch on National Geographic station the Dog Whisperer, and consider buying his book. (02/16/2010)

By jillc49

Puppy Bites When Playing

The method I have used on every dog I've owned (and it's never failed) from very small to large breeds, is whenever they bite, I don't pull my arm or finger (or whatever) out of the dog's mouth. Instead, I tap, not hit, but lightly tap, their nose firmly saying "Ow" at the same time. They learn that there is a difference between biting and holding with their mouths. Now my dogs will grab hold, but not bite. If they get excited and put too much pressure into the hold, I simply say "Ow" and they let go.

It also doesn't take as long to train them this way. Just be sure and don't yank your hand away, and do not ever punish the dog. She is simply playing in the way that is natural for a dog or cat to play. (02/17/2010)

By Cricketnc