How do you take the itch out of ant bites?
Shannon from Margate, FL
Make a thick paste of baking powder and water. Then smere on the bites, leave for a few minutes, wash off and the bites should start to go. It works better with bicarbonate of soda, apparently.
When you get the ant bites this is what you do.I have fixed for outside use in different areas spray bottles of water mixed with chlorine bleach.It doesn't matter really how strong the bleach is.When bitten spray as soon as possible.It takes the sting out as well as preventing little blisters turning into scars later.It really works.It's great.We use it all the time.Just don't get it on any colored clothes and keep away from your eyes.Try it.I think you will be amazed.God Bless.Katy
We use a paste of "meat tenderizer" and water. Put it on your ant or insect bite off and on until it quits itching. It usually will stop in a few minutes.
I'm not sure about ant bites, but I have used rubbing alcohol when the gnats and "no-see-ums" have gotten hold of me and it really helps to ease the sting. My mother used to use Dr. Tichenor's antiseptic on us for bug bites, but I can never find it at WalMart. Used to love that stuff.
As soon as possible, spray bites with WD40. Works great!...even on fire ant bites.
I keep a tube of 1% hydrocortisone ointment in my purse. If you put it on soon enough after the bite, it helps prevent an ant bite from blistering and a mosquito bite from swelling up as well as taking out the sting/itch.
Looks like you have received many good tips. I found that spraying amonia works as well. Will give some of the other ideas as I also get bitten by fire ants here in Florida
Put your feet in cold water, wash your feet really well with soap. Then pour rubbing alcohol on them. You get no blisters and the itch goes away.
Walmart does sell AfterBite "The Itch Eraser" which is 3.5 % ammonia and comes in a convenient stick to just dab on
What if a fire ant bite you on your eyelid and it's swollen, do you know any remedy that's harmless and quick-effective?
Just mix up a 1/2 of a cup of water and a 1/2 of a cup of bleach. Mix them up and take a cotton swab or a cotton ball and dab some on it. Let it sit for about 2 minutes, wash off, dab some vinegar on it, hold it there for about 3-4 1/2 minutes. Then, wash off and do that 5 times a day. It will get rid of the sting fast. GOOD LUCK! (It works on fire ants, too!)
Editor's Note: Use caution as mixing bleach and vinegar can result in toxic chlorine gas.
I was at soccer practice on Saturday and I was completely eaten ALIVE by ants all over my body. I am so itchy and they hurt! I didn't know what to do, but thanks to google I have so many ideas!
Don't listen to any of the other treatments. This one works for sure I work as a nurse and they use this on all the patient for ant bites no matter how serious.
1/2 cup of sprite
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
Zest from orange peel (2 scrapes)
The juice from buffalo mozzarella cheese
Put regular toothpaste on the bite and wait for it to dry, than gently wash it off. it gets rid of the itch for me.
While weeding a little while ago, I got attacked by fire ants. Naturally, I was bare legged and sitting on my legs. I felt a sudden heat on both my legs and stood and looked at my legs to see a lot of dark spots all over both of them.
It has been about 30 minutes and the burning sensation is almost gone, the redness has calmed, the welps are still there, but sure does feel better.
Thank all of you for your suggestions. I do not have just one remedy, because I used them all, almost. :)
Thanks so much for posting your remedies! I got bit taking the trash out and didn't know if it was a regular ant or fire ant (which I'm highly allergic to). So I waited a few minutes to see if I was going to have an allergic reaction and I didn't so I looked up some remedies, found this page and tried the baking soda paste, worked awesomely!
I have ant bites all over my toes and my neighbor put some dye free frosting with banking powder all over my toes. Then I let it sit for two hours and the itch and the redness from the bite was completely gone...
Mouthwash! Soak a paper towel in mouth wash and place it over the bites, in about five minutes the swelling will subside and the itch will also greatly diminish. I had been layering the anti-itch cream on for nearly two days and it wasn't really helping, but I just wanted to try anything...that's when I broke out the mouthwash. Ah the relief!
This failed miserably for me. I have blisters all over my feet now.
Except that WD40 is toxic when absorbed into your system. It's a great lube, but not meant for a medication
Only with prolonged contact, may WD-40 possibly irritate the skin. It's not bad. You can Google the material safety data sheet if you don't believe me.
I got bites all over my foot. it won't stop itching. I don't know what to use for ant bite.
Hi! I think hot water works well, or a nice and warm shower (not really hot!) or cold works well, just try not to let the water go to room temp, then you can put any of the suggestions above on the bite, the water sooths the bite a little, but water only wont do too much.