Puppy With Bad Breath

I got a puppy for Christmas. He's 7 weeks old. He's part Golden Retriever and part Rottweiler. He has really bad skunk-like breath. It's so bad that it makes me feel sick. What can I do to fix this problem?

Julie

Answers:

Puppy With Bad Breath

Congrats on your new puppy! I have a 5 month old Husky and a 1 year old Shepherd mix. They grow up way too fast so enjoy them now!

I have been using a product called the Pet Beverage from BioWorld Products for a while now. It has been amazing. I got my Shepherd mix from a local pound and she had really bad body odor and bad breath. I started using the Pet Beverage in April and have not stopped using it. It works great. It is very safe to use on all ages of dogs and it is easy. I just add about an ounce to their water dish every time I fill it and I have noticed a big difference. If I run out, I even notice that their bad breath and body odor come back. So I do know it is the product!

Don't give your puppy the dental bones. I made that mistake with my Shepherd when we first got her as a puppy. It didn't say on the box not to give it to puppies so I gave her one. She devoured it within seconds and so I was concerned and went on their website and on there it said not to give it to puppies. They should have put it on the box somewhere big!

Good luck with the new puppy! The potty training is the hardest! Ha.

http://www.adbio.com/pet-beverage.htm (01/09/2009)

By Katie

Puppy With Bad Breath

Oh yeah, and about dog gas, I heard it can be caused by highly digestible dog food. I give my dog Science Diet which is highly digestible. The vet told us we should probably try another food. I just bought like 5 bags because they were on sale but I might be changing soon. If you do change, you need to mix their old food with the new food. Otherwise it will upset their stomach! (01/09/2009)

By Katie

Puppy With Bad Breath

Some pups eat their poop or eat cat poop. Why? Because they find it interesting! They also like to lick their butts, so bad breath happens there too. Buy a baby soft toothbrush and just use plain water and rub their gums and teeth gently. A tiny dab of doggy toothpaste for pups. (01/10/2009)

By meoowmom

Puppy With Bad Breath

Puppies normally have skunk-like breath; they will outgrow it in a few weeks. (01/10/2009)

By doglvr

Puppy With Bad Breath

It's funny to read how many people say that puppies have bad breath. I always thought my little Shih Tzu's breath was so sweet when she was a pup. She's an old lady now and smells like it!

Anyway, one thing I didn't see mentioned in the feedback was a possible abscessed tooth. I had a dog one time that had rotten breath, and when the vet looked at her teeth, it turned out she had an abscess (infection) in her tooth. They removed it and the problem got much better. I'm not sure how likely a puppy would be to have an infected tooth, but perhaps if he/she was chewing on something and it damaged the tooth or gums, it's possible that area got infected. Good luck! (01/16/2009)

By khilde80

Puppy With Bad Breath

What you are smelling is puppy breath. It is what the mother's milk smells like. I love the smell of it! I like the smell of skunk too. I know *weird*. It should start smelling like normal stinky dog breath after about a week off the mama. (11/07/2009)

By AshleyMc

Yawning beagle next to man making a yucky face
Puppy With Bad Breath
Jack Russell Terrier with bad breath.
Remedies for a Dog's Bad Breath
Woman with bad breath covering her mouth.
Getting Rid of Garlic Breath
unwrapped gum on top of several foil wrapped pieces
Uses for Chewing Gum
Photo of woman covering her mouth with her turtle nick.
Remedies for Bad Breath
🎉
🎄