Puppy With Bad Breath

Puppies can have very bad breath when they are quite young. This is a guide about puppy with bad breath.

How can I cure bad puppy breath? I would like something that is cheap or free.

By Christy from IN

Answers

When a pup has bad breath it's usually because he has worms (usually a smokey kind of smell). I find Panacur 10% liquid is the best, you can find this cheaper than the vet's at canine chemist, or he could have a little infection. :-)

My Golden Retriever puppy has horrible breath and a consistent case of gas. Any tips on freshening his breath? He gets a small amount of soft food mixed in with his hard food each day. I've tried dental sticks, bones, and specialty treats.

Mel from Atlanta, GA

Answers:

Puppy With Bad Breath

Check the roof of your puppy's mouth. I had a dog once (a stray that I took in) that had a stick stuck in the roof of his mouth. It had been there awhile, the flesh was growing around it. He had a bad infection. Got him straightened out with a trip to the vet. Good luck with your pup! (02/09/2008)

By Paula

Puppy With Bad Breath

I would change his diet, as he isn't digesting everything if he is getting gas. That means no table food. Get a better quality dog food like Science Diet, Iams, I personally use Eukanuba which is totally digestible.

This will make the breath smell better. If it doesn't work take him to the vet. You can look on the bag and it will say totally digestible.

These foods are more expensive, but worth it in the long run. (02/09/2008)

By Sally

Puppy With Bad Breath

Check roof of mouth for small stick. My pup has done this to herself twice now. The stick breaks to the width of her mouth between her molars and becomes firmly lodged, then starts to stink to high heaven after a day or two. (02/18/2008)

By Paul

Puppy With Bad Breath

When we bought our first Golden puppy she was only 6 weeks old and had terrible breath. We called it skunk breath because that's what it smelled like.

We were told that it was from the mother's milk and that it would disappear in time and it did. I always kept a hardened bone for her made by Red Barn. They come individually wrapped and are filled with many different flavors and they come plain or basted. She loved them and would chew on them obsessively.

Her teeth, up until the time of her death, were beautiful and she never had bad breath again. Her vet was very impressed with her beautiful teeth. (05/30/2008)

By Beverly

Puppy With Bad Breath

My opinion...

Puppies probably do not have developed "predigestive enzymes" in their mouths like humans do, and I would guess, adult dogs probably do. Though we have bad breath at times, it normally is not like a puppies (except those adults with deficient nutrition).

So the food particles ferment and cause a rotting odor. Remember they are designed to suck from the nipple til 8 weeks, and then start with food brought by their mother, which I would guess is meat, meat, meat.

In humans, at least, proteins are not digested in the mouth at all, they are broken down by stomach acid, then digested in intestines. Carbs are broken down by saliva that forms when food is in mouth, that slimy feeling in the back of one's throat (if you chew long enough that is!). This pre-digests carbs, which are then cleansed in the stomach (not broken down) and then further broken down in the intestines.

My guess is that puppies are better on meat, less of a rotting smell, until they lose their temp teeth, just a guess, no research done on puppy enzymes in mouth. Adult dogs need a 50/50 carb/protein mix, puppies may need (another surmise) a bit more protein.

I think the more carbs (cheap dog foods are loaded with carbs hidden in those little mystery meat chunks, you know those neat little square "meat cubes") Even expensive dog foods have carbs in their meats.

I would suggest beef for the puppy mostly (some carbs, even fresh fruit snacks, little ones 1/2 hour before eating-gives you time to prep his food while the snack digests). Just hold beef in the air over a puppy, then do the same with dog food (the response is quite dramatically different).

I am not saying no carbs, just that a puppy instinctively has an attraction to meat. (12/20/2008)

By Bud

I got a puppy for Christmas. He's 7 weeks old. He's part Golden Retriever and part Rottweiler. He has really bad skunk-like breath. It's so bad that it makes me feel sick. What can I do to fix this problem?

Julie

Answers:

Puppy With Bad Breath

Congrats on your new puppy! I have a 5 month old Husky and a 1 year old Shepherd mix. They grow up way too fast so enjoy them now!

I have been using a product called the Pet Beverage from BioWorld Products for a while now. It has been amazing. I got my Shepherd mix from a local pound and she had really bad body odor and bad breath. I started using the Pet Beverage in April and have not stopped using it. It works great. It is very safe to use on all ages of dogs and it is easy. I just add about an ounce to their water dish every time I fill it and I have noticed a big difference. If I run out, I even notice that their bad breath and body odor come back. So I do know it is the product!

Don't give your puppy the dental bones. I made that mistake with my Shepherd when we first got her as a puppy. It didn't say on the box not to give it to puppies so I gave her one. She devoured it within seconds and so I was concerned and went on their website and on there it said not to give it to puppies. They should have put it on the box somewhere big!

Good luck with the new puppy! The potty training is the hardest! Ha.

http://www.adbio.com/pet-beverage.htm (01/09/2009)

By Katie

Puppy With Bad Breath

Oh yeah, and about dog gas, I heard it can be caused by highly digestible dog food. I give my dog Science Diet which is highly digestible. The vet told us we should probably try another food. I just bought like 5 bags because they were on sale but I might be changing soon. If you do change, you need to mix their old food with the new food. Otherwise it will upset their stomach! (01/09/2009)

By Katie

Puppy With Bad Breath

Some pups eat their poop or eat cat poop. Why? Because they find it interesting! They also like to lick their butts, so bad breath happens there too. Buy a baby soft toothbrush and just use plain water and rub their gums and teeth gently. A tiny dab of doggy toothpaste for pups. (01/10/2009)

By meoowmom

Puppy With Bad Breath

Puppies normally have skunk-like breath; they will outgrow it in a few weeks. (01/10/2009)

By doglvr

Puppy With Bad Breath

It's funny to read how many people say that puppies have bad breath. I always thought my little Shih Tzu's breath was so sweet when she was a pup. She's an old lady now and smells like it!

Anyway, one thing I didn't see mentioned in the feedback was a possible abscessed tooth. I had a dog one time that had rotten breath, and when the vet looked at her teeth, it turned out she had an abscess (infection) in her tooth. They removed it and the problem got much better. I'm not sure how likely a puppy would be to have an infected tooth, but perhaps if he/she was chewing on something and it damaged the tooth or gums, it's possible that area got infected. Good luck! (01/16/2009)

By khilde80

Puppy With Bad Breath

What you are smelling is puppy breath. It is what the mother's milk smells like. I love the smell of it! I like the smell of skunk too. I know *weird*. It should start smelling like normal stinky dog breath after about a week off the mama. (11/07/2009)

By AshleyMc

Any advice on bad puppy breath? Puppy is 7 weeks old.

Colleen from Buffalo, NY

Answers:

Puppy With Bad Breath

If you are feeding your dog wet/canned food, start him on dry food. The soft food may be getting stuck in his teeth and rotting, thus causing the bad breath. We have always kept our Shadow (14 years old now) on dry dog food and he has never had bad breath, not even once! (11/12/2007)

By Sally Pifer

Puppy With Bad Breath

When he has his adult teeth, let him chew on those big soup bones from the meat department or butcher. Dogs who chew on real bones regularly, rarely have bad breath or yellow teeth. (11/12/2007)

By Lynn Beth

Puppy With Bad Breath

All young puppies have skunky breath. You can change foods and everything you want and eventually it will change to normal dog breath. You will think it is from changing foods or giving them certain treats it will only be because they have grown. I am not sure why but we used to raise puppies and they all had skunky breath especially before 12 weeks of age. I know some will say I am crazy but in my experience it is true. (11/12/2007)

By

Puppy With Bad Breath

I don't see any postings regarding anal glands and bad breath in dogs, so here goes an unpleasant subject.

Dogs have glands around the anus that usually are emptied out when the dog has a bowel movement. These glands can fill up if the BMs are soft or loose. When they fill up they are uncomfortable, so the dog will lick the area then kiss you on the face.

If it smells like rotting fish, it is very likely the anal glands need to be expressed. Some groomers will do this for you, but you have to ask. Of course your vet can do it and teach you how. It's no big deal, you just need some latex gloves and a clothespin for your nose.

Dry food makes the stools firmer and that may help. Also certain breeds are notorious for getting clogged anal glands.
Good luck! (11/14/2007)

By nancycorinne.

Puppy With Bad Breath

Ok. Puppies with bad breath is usually an indication of a kidney infection or a throat infection. At that age, a throat infection would definitely be preferable, because a kidney infection can be very fatal to a puppy of 7 weeks. The reason I know this is because I had the same issue with my currently 6 week old puppy. She's been to the vet clinic and that's what was suggested. Good luck! Take your puppy in to the clinic ASAP.

-Veronica (12/04/2007)

By Veronica

Please tell us what to do with puppy bad breath. He is a Silky Terrier. Your help appreciated.