Remedies for a Dog's Bad Breath

Category Health
Dogs can have problems with teeth and gums, or it can be a sign of another health issue. This guide is about remedies for a dog's bad breath.

This is a guide about puppy with bad breath. Puppies can have very bad breath when they are quite young.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

I have a 11 year old miniature Dachshund and I have noticed that she has really bad breath that actually smells like her poop. I have also noticed that she sometime does eat her own poop.

I have asked a vet about it and they informed me that it is sometimes natural for some breeds to eat their own feces. I have tried giving her Milk Bones and brushing her teeth with doggie toothpaste, but it only works temporarily for a day or two.

My question is, are there any other home remedies to help her with her breath? I have heard from some people that garlic can help, but I have not tried it yet because I know that garlic is part of the onion family and onions are toxic to dogs. She also does not care for apples or carrots. Any other suggestions? Anything helps. Thanks.

By anjelah monrreal from San Jose, CA

Answers

I have one dog that thoroughly enjoys munching on his (or any other dog's) poop. Yep, it's indeed disgusting and will result in very, very, very, bad breath. Our other dogs outgrew it as they matured from puppy-hood, but not this big guy. All breeds do it to some extent.

The only solution to improving his breath I've ever found is to scoop up and dispose of the poop before he has a chance to consume it in the yard! Best to drag out that pooper-scooper and eliminate the source of the problem. If you notice an improvement after you do so on a regular basis, you can then assume that the bad breath problem was just that (poop eating) and not another, possibly intestinal or infectious, issue. Good Luck! :-)

Check your dog's teeth, especially in the back, to see if they are coated with tartar. This can cause bad breath in a dog. To help eliminate the odor, the teeth will need to be cleaned by the vet. Another possible reason is worms. Have your dog checked for them.

Yes, there is a dog mouth rinse I bought on jefferspets.com and it is expensive, but lasts a long time. I pour a little onto a child size battery operated toothbrush and clean my small dog's teeth with it. Allow the brush to do the work and don't scrub them manually too or the gum-lines can get sore. A few times a week should be enough brushing to keep them clean and odor free.

The same link I provided sells something that helps dogs to not enjoy feces. You might want to check it out. They will also send you a catalog if you prefer not to order over the 'net.

Giving your dog marrow bones to chew will clean his teeth more effectively than you brushing them. If his breath is bad it's because his teeth are dirty.

Chewing on marrow bones will even remove tartar. You should make sure he has no bad teeth that actually need removing, because no amount of chewing on marrow bones will fix that!

Cayenne pepper sprinkled dry on the dog cigars.

Hey neighbor, I am up in Petaluma.

I have worked for a veterinarian for over 27 years. You need to speak to your vet about having a dental done. The anesthesia is safe and gum disease can be an indication of mouth odor. Plus at his age, he might have to have a few extractions. Good luck.

I have a 3 year old Chihuahua mix. We got her via a couple who found her in a orchard where we assume she had been dumped. She is a wonderful dog with a huge heart and tons of love to give.

My question is - are there any natural cures for bad breath? I had her fixed and got her shots within days of getting her. My vet has told me that her teeth are in good shape. She has the stinky breath. I used human tooth paste and it worked, but I then found out that this was poison to her. Thanks for your help.

By Virginia G. from Porterville, CA

Answers

Hello,
Maybe she needs a dental? This can be a cause of bad breath, please ask your veterinarian.

Marrow Bones. Dogs love them and chewing on them keeps their teeth cleaner than you can. Cleaner teeth means better breath. But only give your dog the large marrow bones. Never give your dog bones from poultry or pork or any small beef bone.

I have a 11 year old cocker who has very bad breath. I thought it was due to her getting older (never had a dog this old before) then today I lifted up her mouth to look at her teeth and they were very rotten and a lot of them were loose. I'm going to get her a vet appointment, but I was wondering what this could do to her health? It's sad when your close to your pet and you see things like this. My 7 year old daughter and myself started crying together when we thought something could happen.

Thanks for your help,
Christina from San Antonio, TX

Answers

THIS CAN MAKE HER SICK. TAKE HER TO THE VET

She needs to go to the Vet ASAP. Healthy teeth is a must.

I know exactly how you feel. My dog is 12 and has just been through the same thing. I took her to the vet and she had to have several teeth removed and all of her teeth cleaned under general anaesthetic. I was so worried for her to be having a general at her advanced age... But! She came out fine! Her mouth is now fine! All is well! Just take your little darling off to the vet and let him sort it all out for you.

By (Guest Post)

Husbands dog is 4 yrs. old and had bad breath,Vet said his teeth were infected,cleaned his teeth,gave him anti-biotic, still taking that, see the vet,

By starlite (Guest Post)

Take her to vet ASAP.Bad teeth can lead to heart problems in animals as well as humans.Some vets use very light anathesia like for tropical birds.It is much safer for older animals.My 15 year old poodle had this done and did just fine.

By (Guest Post)

Take her to the vet as soon as possible. In the mean time, make sure she gets soft food that doesn't require lots of chewing, since she has loose & rotten teeth, she might not be able to chew and therefor might be hungry and not getting enough food & nutrients to keep her healthy. Good luck and give her lots of love and pampering (& treats), she's old, you won't regret it.

By Autumn (Guest Post)

Not being mean, but-didn't you ever check before? It's something you need to keep up on regularly by brushing their teeth, giving them hard treats and food, things like that. It's part of being a responsible pet owner.

By marvy (Guest Post)

i have an 11 year old blind cocker with very bad breath and i also just realized his teeth are rotting away.
He seems to eat the hard food just fine, but it looks as though everyone thinks he should have soft food and go to the vet. It is heartbreaking to see them get old. thanks for the advice.

By pam (Guest Post)

I have the same problem with my manchester terrier. He goes to the vet on a regular schdule his whole life and I had to switched vet because I moved and I ask him about the breath problem and cleaning well he told me he is to old to be put under and get his teeth cleaned well now it's been 6 months and i noticed that his gums and teeth are very bad so my questions is what can you do to make him more comfortable eating I know to give him soft food but it has to be painful with a bad tooth .

I have 5 dogs that I got when they were puppies. No one wanted them, so my husband and I took them in. We do have a problem. Three of the dogs have stinky breath. I mean really putrid smelling.
Can anyone help my family of 7?
Thanks.

By Sherry H.

We are organic and natural product users. We have 3 dogs and their breath smells awful. Are there any natural remedies or does anyone know what we can do? We don't want to give them chemicals.
Thanks.

By bettyj1000

Are there any natural ways to improve a dog's breath?

By Judster from Canton, OH

Why does my dog have bad breath? It isn't the food he has. Could it be something else serious?

By Joyce from Ontario, Canada

Anyone have any ideas as to what I can do for a puppy with stinky breath? I have a five month old Cocker and his breath stinks like anal glands. I brush his teeth at least every other day and am trying to do this more frequently. He does not have access to the litterbox and because I work from home and he's my shadow, I can safely say he's not pooping anywhere/eating stool. I live in an apartment, so he's not outside unless he's leashed, and because he'll grab everything, I'm super watchful as to what's on the ground so he doesn't eat something harmful or just plain gross.

He was just at the vet less than a week ago for a neuter and hernia repair, and had a full mouth check and cleaning while he was under due to a broken puppy tooth that needed to be pulled. There's no infection, abscess, something trapped in his teeth, and they did a full exam and bloodwork before putting him under. There's no apparent reason for the nasty breath, but it's raunchy.

It's been a long time since I had a puppy, so is this kind of normal for teething puppies? He has tips of some adult teeth starting to break through, so maybe he has ick-breath because of that? Are there any home remedies I can try to make his puppy smoochies a little less ripe?

Thanks in advance for any ideas!

My Shih Tzu has bad breath. Is that common? I would like to know what to do about it. It does not bother me but my daughter and son cannot stand it.

By bonnie from Niagara Falls, Canada

Answers

It has been my experience that bad breath comes from teeth that need to be brushed. There are dog toothpastes and different kind of chews that help clean the plaque off of the dogs teeth. If it is really bad it may need to have it's teeth cleaned by the vet. Is the dog taking any medication? Ask you vet if you can give the dog cloraphyl tablets and how much. I am not sure if this is good for dogs or not but it makes us have less bad body odors!

Good luck, Robyn

Also make sure the hair on his face is clean too. I also have a a shih tzu and when I keep his face clean it seems to help. Hope this helps :)

You probably need to brush his teeth. You can get doggie toothpaste and brush and do it yourself or you can pay your vet to do a thorough job. I think it's easier if you start when they are puppies. Dogs need their teeth cleaned just as much as people do. Many people don't even know this as I didn't for many years until one of my dogs had a swollen face and an abcess. He ended up needing surgery and costing me plenty which could have been avoided by brushing his teeth regularly. I felt so badly for not knowing about brushing his teeth.

Many times bad breath indicates an infected tooth so you should take your dog to your vet and have teeth checked.

What can I give my dog for bad breath?

By missy from Navasota, TX

There has to be something for a dog's bad breath other than greenish and chews. And what can cause the bad breath other than teeth? Also what can I use to remove tartar from their teeth?

I have a 1 year old Yorkie with really bad breath. What can I do about it? Please don't suggest brushing his teeth because it takes 2 of us to brush his teeth and I have been almost bitten by him by brushing his teeth.

By zan

We have a mixed small breed dog who is 13 yrs old. His teeth were bad when we got him and he will not let us anywhere his mouth. His breath is horrible and he has to eat soft food because his teeth are so bad. We tried the stuff that you spray in his mouth with no results. Does anybody know of anything that will help his breath or his teeth. The vet has said he is too old and fragile to go under to get his teeth cleaned.

By Jan

I have a little dog, part Chihuahua and part Pomeranian. He is 7 and was diagnosed with lymphoma (leukemia) in May. The last month his breath started to smell so bad, really bad. I have tried the Denta bones, but they don't seem to help. Any suggestions?

By LEONA LABINE from St. Paul, AB

Answers

Denta bones won't help if it's not coming from his teeth. It could be his stomach and if that's the case he may need a vet poor poochie. I'd give them a call. It's probably related to his disease.

He's been to the vet, he is losing his teeth. I love, love, love him but the smell is awful. Both of us need a solution.

What a good home remedy for dog breath?

By c.a.rodriquez5780@gmail.com from Hutchinson, KS

My Dog Has Bad Breath

I have a Yorkie that is nine years old. Just recently she has developed bad breath. I have started brushing her teeth. It helps somewhat, but it has to been done everyday. I just wanted to know if that is normal?

By AngelicTouch from IL

Answers:

My Dog Has Bad Breath

Yes, it's normal to brush an older dog's teeth daily. Also, there's an expensive mouth wash you can use for your dog called Nolvadent that is pepperminty fragrance and does help control doggie breath. It's about $20 - $25 for an eight ounce bottle. A little goes a long way and I also bought a battery powered round head bristled toothbrush for my small dog to reach in the back teeth. It's a Colgate Power brush and paid about $5 for it at WalMart.

A dog's teeth should be cleaned by a vet once a year. My dog is now two years old and I noticed her breath had an odor. I checked her back teeth and they had a light coating of tartar build up where a regular brush didn't get well. That causes mouth odor. Check your pet's back teeth. At the age she is if she hasn't had her teeth cleaned she may well be having more than tartar build up problems that only a vet can remove. Brushing won't get it off and that's why it's important to brush your pet's teeth.
I did a lot of research about dog's teeth and keeping them clean and have shared with you what I just learned.

It's also important to give the dog treats that are for dental care. WalMart sells a product called Natural Healthy Biscuits for Dogs. They are shaped like leaves and help keep the dog's teeth clean, strong and gums healthy. Natural rawhide chews are also good for helping to keep teeth, tartar free; buy 2 so when one gets a bit soft, you can change it to the other dry one. Supervise your pet closely so it doesn't digest big pieces chewed off and create a choking hazard.

Also, raw uncooked bones you can get at a slaughter house preferably beef and freeze for three weeks before giving to the dog so bacteria is killed first. These bags of bones cost around $2.00 and you may be able to get bones the right size for your pet. (02/12/2010)

By Myrna

My Dog Has Bad Breath

I think Yorkies are noted for having trouble with their teeth. This is what my vet told me. I have a 12 year old Yorkie-Poo, and I had her teeth cleaned 2 years ago. When I took her this year she had a bad infection, so I had to get that cleared up and then had to get a lot of her teeth pulled out. She may be small, but it took 2 of the vets to get her mouth open and that is why I can't clean them. (02/13/2010)

By miss penny

My Dog Has Bad Breath

First, I must say that your dog is adorable. Second, I have first-hand experience with a senior dog who had dental issues. I had an 8 1/2 year old rescued Sheltie (former puppy mill momma) who came to me with horrible breath. Things like biscuits and brushing masked the problem temporarily, but didn't cure it. So, I took her in for a very thorough cleaning at the vet. The total was about $200 and she was put out completely for the procedure. However, in her case, the underlying gum disease had entered the bloodstream, and she was humanely euthanized shortly after due to a neurological problem. Before her, I never fully understood the importance of routine dental cleanings at a vet's office. My best advice would be a check up at the vet. Tell them your concerns, and they can recommend the best solution for your dog. :) (02/13/2010)

By Stacey

My Dog Has Bad Breath

Rotted or abscessed teeth could be the cause. Also, bad breath can denote an underlying health problem (kidneys, liver, etc). I suggest you take her/him in to your vet and have her checked. If money is a big factor, I suggest you make several phone calls to different vets or even shelters for a referral. As an underlying problem, even abscessed teeth, can cause further illness and sometimes death. (02/16/2010)

By Susan Gaskell

My Dog Has Bad Breath

My Jack Russell/Beagle mix has had terrible breath. He has clean teeth and is taken very good care of, but it was still terrible. I bought breath refreshers and oral care chews. The other day I was in Walmart and saw Pedigree had an Oral Care treat. I bought them and they work fantasticly, you can give your dog up to 5 a day and I could not be happier! Good luck! (08/09/2010)

By Heather

My Pomeranian has very bad breath. I have her teeth cleaned, but it doesn't last more than a few days. We have also had her on antibiotics one week a month and used stuff in the drinking water. Nothing works; any suggestions? Also she is not a chewer so the fresh breath bones won't be used.

Mo from Dayton, OH

Answers:

Getting Rid Of Dog's Bad Breath

With people as well as pets, if their breath is bad and it's "not" their teeth, it's usually their stomach. He may not be digesting his food properly. I'd try changing his food or using digestive enzymes. These simple things can really make a difference. Also, try "Greenies". They'll send you a free sample. Not only do these have chlorophyll (which is great for bad breath), but they also have a process that helps plaque not stick to dog's and cat's teeth. They really work to help keep their teeth clean and my cat absolutely loves them!

greenies.com

I don't know if your dog will eat wheat grass (the kind you buy growing in flats at the pet store), but if he will, then this can really help his breath. You can also buy supplements that are high in chlorophyll. Remember anything green is high in chlorophyll.

You can plant your own wheat grass. Just buy unprocessed wheat in the large bins at the grocery, heath food store, or feed store and plant it in soil and water daily. It's best eaten when it's under 6 inches long, as this is when it's the most tender and sweet. Don't give your dog too much or he may throw it back up. Just a teaspoon several times a day for a medium size dog is enough and maybe 2 teaspoons for a larger dog. This does not have to be chewed to work (it's all about getting it into the stomach), but of course chewing the grass could help even more. (08/04/2008)

By Cyinda

Getting Rid of a Dog's Bad Breath

You might try a few cheap and easy things first. Since your dog doesn't like to chew; I'd skip the Greenies. They're pricey and I haven't found many dogs that really like them.

Make sure your dog is really getting enough water. Bacteria and fungus tend to grow when we're dehydrated; not when our systems are well flushed.

Like with people, yogurt can eliminate bad breath in most cases where the cause is the stomach. Try mixing in some with the dog's food. As always, go slowly and stick with plain, low fat stuff.

Look at what the dog is eating in an unbiased way. People tend to treat small dogs like kings instead of dogs and it really is a disservice to the dogs.

Is the dog getting a lot of sugary or fatty foods? (Yes, crumbs and "bites" count too!) A lot of very processed foods so the snacks look like something else? Sharing some snacks of yours that he happens to love? Remember a small "people" cookie is a big portion to a 7 lb dog. If so, try going with healthier and less processed foods, but do it slowly. A fast change could cause more problems than it helps.

Even if your dog is not a chewer, you might try to get him interested in some natural snacks. Many dogs do like carrots, broccoli stalks, cantaloupe, etc. While the veggies are good for the dog; it's the chewing action that stimulates the flow of saliva that's important here. Again, a flushed system has less bacteria and fungus.

Good luck. (08/05/2008)

By pet Lover

Getting Rid of a Dog's Bad Breath

I am thinking since your doggies breath smells good for a few days after cleaning that it might just be she needs her teeth brushed daily like we humans need to. Your vet can recommend and sell you an appropriate tooth brush and tooth paste. My dad had a poodle who needed her teeth brushed daily because of, not only breath, but also plaque problems. Once she got used to it, she loved it and my dad didn't have to smell icky breath or spend so much money on vet dental care as often after that :-) (08/05/2008)

By Ann

Getting Rid of a Dog's Bad Breath

Try to change her to a different food. It could be stomach/digestive issues. (08/05/2008)

Getting Rid of a Dog's Bad Breath

Be careful giving your dog Greenies. I've heard that if they swallow a big chunk it can get stuck in their intestines. Make sure to supervise your dog if you decide to give a Greenie. (08/05/2008)

By Oberhund

Getting Rid of a Dog's Bad Breath

I have to add to those saying "No Greenies", since pieces not only get stuck in the intestines, they swell up with water and become a life-threatening agonizingly painful crisis in a short time, so usually the surgery is too late!

Yes, every dog needs its teeth brushed. There is nothing special about an official dog brush, just use a kiddie brush that is soft and comfortable on the gums. It is important to clean the gum edge, so don't back off from brushing there. My dog likes the cheese that comes in a spray can and squirts out like noodles. I put it on the toothbrush and all the time she's licking, I'm brushing, and a couple good scrubs per spot is all I try for. I started by just letting her lick it off. I never hold onto her head, I only do what she will allow and I do turn her head left and right with one finger on the side of her muzzle. Never a power struggle, just very delicious toothpaste and a comfortable brush. At first she bled, but I knew that was because her gums had started to get infected a little, and they got healthy quickly, so by the fifth day there was no bleeding. Then to finish, I let her stand there and keep licking the brush for a few seconds. God bless you and your dog! (08/05/2008)

By Kim Churchman

Getting Rid of a Dog's Bad Breath

She may be a chewer if you give her something else to chew on. Dogs who chew real bones, marrow and all, from the butcher or meat counter usually do not have bad breath. For a couple of bucks, it's worth a try. (08/06/2008)

Getting Rid of a Dog's Bad Breath

I also have a Pom who had a problem with bad breath. I learned that corn in the kibble can cause it. We bought her a good kibble made without corn and the problem disappeared. Give it a try! (08/07/2008)

By Candyce Hagler

I have a need to understand about a dog's bad breath. I have a 9 month old Chihuahua. Her breath is very smelly. Not in a good way, for a young dog.

My dog is a 14 year old terrier mix. While I love him dearly, I have a very limited income and cannot afford high vet care. Do you have any low cost suggestions for dealing with his bad breath?

I have a 5 month old Pitbull and I was wondering if I could give her Listerine Pocketpack sheets for bad breath? And if so how many?

I have two dogs. When the older dog does his business outside the younger dog licks up the pee. Consequently the younger dog has horrible breath. They use a doggy door during the day when I am not home, so there is no way to let them out separately.

Click to read more ideas from older posts on ThriftyFun.