Put Twigs and Leaves in Plant Pots

My German daughter-in-law showed me a neat trick for planting in pots. She put a coffee filter in the bottom of the pot then we went around the yard picking up little twigs and leaves. She broke the twigs up small to drop in the pots and crushed or tore the leaves. She put about two inches in the pot then put in the potting soil and the plant. There are three benefits from this method:

1. It helps keep the yard neat.
  2. It will compost in the pot.
  3. The pot will not be so heavy as it is with rocks in the bottom.

I have done this all summer and really like it better than having to wag around a pot full of heavy rocks.

By Elaine from OK

Good idea! Like a mini-composter.

This is a cool idea and I just chopped up my old Christmas tree to use as filler in my pots. However, you want to make sure you have plenty of room for the roots. If they grow too close to the twigs, it could be bad. Decomposing matterial uses up nitrogen during it's decomposition process and this can suck away nutrition from plant roots. If you have enough space though before the plant roots, this will be ok though. If it's a slow rooting plant (will take more than a year for the roots to make it to the decomposing matter), you should also be ok. By then, it will probably be decomposed in most warm to moderate climates (if kept moist).

This is good. I put 'rough stuff' in the bottom of my pots, too. Rather than coffee filters, I cut circles of landscape material to place in the bottom of the pots. I have some that has been in place for twenty years and show no signs of deteriorating.

Looks like this is an old post since the comments are years old. But I am glad that it has been run again! I've never thought of putting twigs and things in a pot. Love this idea and plan to use it.

Wonderful idea... I will be doing that from now on!