Quick Dessert Recipes

Category Desserts
Dump cake (cake with canned mixed fruit  in it) on a white plate.
Oftentimes you want to have a recipe for a quick dessert to make for dinner or for a popup occasion. This page contains quick dessert recipes.

Instructions

• 1 container whipped topping
  • 1 can fruit cocktail, drained
  • 1 can mandarin oranges, drained
  • 1 diced banana

Directions

Mix ingredients; chill and serve.

By Robin from Washington, IA

I am looking for a quick dessert that will feed about 30 people for less than $10.00.
Any ideas?

Debbie from Shallotte, NC

Answers:

Quick Dessert That Feeds 30 People For Under $10

Gosh, I wish I could remember the exact directions, but it involves:

I put it all in a foil oven container and bake til all melted and "cooked". (I "think" I use 350 degrees F).

I'm sorry, I don't make it often enough to remember the name or details of it. But, it was good and cheap. Like a cobbler when it was done.

I wish I could remember the name of it... someone help out? Mud cake or something? (10/13/2007)

By kidseatfree

I think it's called a dump cake. Here's a dump cake I used to make all the time. It's very moist and needs no icing but a little dab of Cool Whip or whipped cream won't hurt.

Fruit Cocktail Cake

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour a 13x9x2 inch baking dish. Put cake mix in a bowl. Add fruit cocktail, including juice, and mix. Pour into baking dish. Bake 55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.

Yield: 12 squares

Buy the ingredients on sale and you can make several of these less than $10.00. (10/13/2007)

By perfume and powder

How about just jello and ice cream? Simple, but light and good! (10/14/2007)

By carolb

Take chocolate chip cookies. Dip in milk Layer in pan, cover with Cool Whip. Make several layers. Set overnight. Very good and easy too. (10/14/2007)

By Baba

I think KidsEatFree is talking about the dump cake, but without mixing anything in the dry mix. First you "dump" fruit pie filling (cherry is always good) and spread it over the bottom of your pan (13 x 9), Then you spread the cake mix over the filling (I use yellow) and then drizzle melted butter over the whole thing (a lot of people slice the cold butter and place it evenly over the top of the dry mix...1 or 2 sticks of butter). Bake it about 1 hour at 350 degrees F. (It's been a long time since I've made it). (10/14/2007)

By Luvyabye

Let the jello set up, kinda thick, not hard set.

When the jello is set beat in Philly cheese and Cool Whip and put in a serving dish, bowl or if you want to cut to serve, a flat dish. Add walnuts (but reserve some for those who are allergic). This can be made ahead two or three days ahead. Red jellos could be used and well as putting coconut, to replace walnuts. With mixer, beat all together. Hope this helps. (10/14/2007)

By Windys__Wonder

Rice Krispy treats always go over well, and you can use Fruity Pebbles to give it color. (10/14/2007)

By Tracy In NH

Here are some dump cake recipes that I got from a Hawaiian newspaper years ago. I always serve them with either ice cream or Cool Whip or whipped cream.

Great Aunt Gertie's Dump Cake

Grease a 9- by 13-inch pan. Dump, in order, the cherries, undrained pineapple, and dry cake mix, smoothing after each layer. Do not mix. Distribute butter evenly over top, then sprinkle with nuts.

Bake 1 hour at 350 degrees F or until cake is golden. Makes 12 servings.

Tropical Dump Cake

Grease a 9- by 13-inch pan. Dump, in order, the cherries, undrained pineapple, and dry cake mix, smoothing after each layer. Do not mix. Distribute butter evenly over top, then sprinkle with nuts and coconut.

Bake 1 Hour at 325 degrees F or until cake is golden. Makes 12 servings.

This is another great easy recipe that I also top with ice cream or cool whip or whipped cream.

Cherry Chocolate Crockpot Dessert

Place pie filling in slow cooker. Combine dry cake mix and butter. Sprinkle over filling. Cover and cook on low for 3 hours.

(10/15/2007)

By Marta

A Jello Parfait (10/15/2007)

By jacqueline

Here's one called:

Cheery Dessert

Stir all of the above ingredients together well and refrigerate over night. Must be kept refrigerated between uses. You can also double or triple the ingredients for a much larger serving batch. This is very good for those of us that like something really rich and sweet!

(10/15/2007)

By 1burrell

Chocolate Eclair Dessert

Make the pudding with the milk according to pkg. directions and set aside. In another bowl beat cream cheese till smooth. Add the pudding to the cheese and beat till smooth. Put a layer of the graham crackers on the bottom of the dish and then a layer of the pudding mix. Continue to layer till you reach the top, but end with the crackers. In a pot melt the chocolate chips and once melted spread a layer of chocolate on the top of the crackers. Put it in the fridge for a few hours, but overnight is best. Tastes just like a chocolate eclair. (10/16/2007)

By bambi2003

I would go for the humble, but very delicious apple crumble, which is basically just a heap of cooking apples stewed, placed in baking dish and sprinkled over the top with a mixture of crumbly flour, butter, sugar, and cinnamon (put in the oven until the mixture browns). Nice to add a dollop of cream or ice cream, which may add a little more to the cost.
(10/16/2007)

By Ellie

Line the unwrapped ice cream sandwiches in a pan. Cover with one tub of Cool Whip. Then place another layer of ice cream sandwiches. Then the other tub of Cool Whip. Then top with whatever topping you desire, (I would avoid the nuts unless you know everyone in the party can eat them). Freeze for a little bit and then slice like cake and serve! (10/16/2007)

By meluvchris418

For well under 10 dollars, you can get two box cake mixes and two containers of frosting. This time of year especially there are sales on the name brand ones. They taste pretty good. I would make two cakes, maybe one yellow and one chocolate. You will have plenty of dessert that way and have change left over. (10/17/2007)

By maggiemay

My fav quick and cheap is brownies from a mix. On sale mixes can be had for $1/box. Be sure to get the mixes that make a 9 x 13 pan. To make them a little fancier, sprinkle them with seasonal M and M candies before baking. People always rave about my special brownies! (10/17/2007)

By Linda