Raising Finches

I just looked in my bird cage and noticed two eggs. One was just laying in cage cracked and the other egg was in the log. I was so happy, until I noticed the cage window open and one of the finches gone.

It had to be the male, because the other bird did not leave and sits on the egg. I always close the window when I give them water. Is it possible the bird is in apartment? Is it possible he opened the window?

I know that finches don't like to be alone. Do I get another male? Do I do anything extra for the egg? How long does it take to hatch? Do I need to buy something extra so the egg has more cushion? She just used the the stuff in the cage that you buy, those wood chips.

By Dori from Houston, TX

Raising Finches

It is very possible the bird is still around. I wouldn't be looking for a replacement anytime soon. Just keep your eyes and ears open. You may hear it before you ever spot it.

I had finches once and found an egg as well. But the egg never hatched. Talking to a friend of mine, he said finches sometimes lay dormant eggs. I have no idea and I don't know how much he knew of finches other than he raised them as well. (11/27/2009)

By Suntydt

Raising Finches

If you tape record the sound of the bird then maybe the other bird will hear it and return to its haven. I had two parakeets that escaped outdoors and did a look up on the "net" about getting them to return to the cage and I read this helpful tidbit. (11/27/2009)

By Lorelei

Raising Finches
Daughters Horse Riding Daddy
Raising Girls
Fledgling Beige Bengalese
Breeding Society Finches
Pair of Zebra Finches on Perch
Breeding Zebra Finches
Bengalese Finches
Breeding Bengalese Finches