Caring for Baby Finches

Category Birds
Baby finches, like any baby bird, need much care and nurturing. This is a guide about caring for baby finches.

My father in law has two society, two zebra, and two Asian spice finches that laid eggs (not sure exactly which). 3 eggs hatched, but one of the chicks seems underdeveloped and has solely white feathers that don't cover his (or her) whole body. Could he or she have hatched later than the others, or could there be something wrong? The adults are feeding him or her, and he seems to be flying from one side of the cage to the other in short bursts, but I am concerned about him and whether there is something we should be doing for him. He has had finches before, but never had anything like this happen. I can upload a picture tomorrow when he is out of the nest again.

Answers

Best Answer

He will probably grow feathers. His parents are taking care of him and didn't reject him, so that is a good sign.

My baby finches are between 2 - 3 weeks old. The mom and dad are constantly sitting on them and I'm afraid they are smothering them or stiffling their growth. Is this normal? It is a small enclosed nest.

By Karen

Answers

Best Answer

The babies don't smother. The parents are supposed to do this. As soon as one hops off another hops on.
My mom raised Zebra finches when I was a kid and it sounds like yours are being good parents.

I have four finches and two of the finches laid eggs. I have 4 babies; one of the finches died. How do I know which one is a male and which one is the female. I think the female may be the one that died. I don't know how to tell the difference. Can someone help me out please I'd like to keep the babies? I just wanted to know if they will make it. Oh also, should I get a new female if that's the one that died?

By Debbie E

Answers

Best Answer

You didn't mention what breed of finches you have. Are they zebra finches? The males and females look the same in some breeds, different in others. Don't get another finch yet. It won't look after the babies. The surviving parent probably will, though.

I've read that you should separate the babies from the parents after 6 weeks. Can the parents and offspring ever live together?

By Rick

My finch eggs have hatched. Yey! I am very happy with this as we have had eggs before, but all were infertile as we had two females and weren't very clued up about birds!

Since then my white female sadly died from egg binding. I now have done some very intensive research on finches. Since my girl past my other female was depressed so I made the choice to get her a male and now we have eggs that have finally hatched. The babies are about 1 week old now and are making lots of noise even though I have yet to see them. And I am wondering if there is anything I can do to help mum and dad to give them a better chance of survival? I have yet to find any information about how I can help?

By Elle