Caring for Baby Finches

I have four finches and two of the finches laid eggs. I have 4 babies; one of the finches died. How do I know which one is a male and which one is the female. I think the female may be the one that died. I don't know how to tell the difference. Can someone help me out please I'd like to keep the babies? I just wanted to know if they will make it. Oh also, should I get a new female if that's the one that died?

By Debbie E

Best Answer

You didn't mention what breed of finches you have. Are they zebra finches? The males and females look the same in some breeds, different in others. Don't get another finch yet. It won't look after the babies. The surviving parent probably will, though.