Zebra Finches Not Caring for Chick

Category Birds
Because zebra finches easily breed in captivity they provide pet owners many opportunities to observe and intervene, if necessary, in the raising of the chicks. This is a guide about zebra finches not caring for a chick.

I have 4 finches; 2 are adult parents and the others are near adult males and the first 2 finches children. They have another egg and it's hatched, but it seems as if they aren't tending to it and are plucking feathers off its back. I have two nests and before only the one with the baby finch had cotton, but it seems like they switched the cotton in the nests and it sits alone at the bottom while the other 4 are perched atop. Should I assume it means they've abandoned it?

Answers

Best Answer

Normally a mother will attend to her babies. However, if you have a large cage and have mixed the male and female, the female will not attend to her babies. This is the same with rabbits. The mother will either kill her young or ignore them.

You will need to move the mother and her young to another cage. Keep them away from the males and don't allow a lot of people near the cage when they are small. Once the young start to grow, you can try moving the cage closer to the other birds.

The finches will sit on the eggs when all are hatched. They may not be abandoned.

Are you saying the baby finch is sitting below while the 4 adults are sitting above and ignoring it? Not too clear but if birds do not take care of their little ones it usually means there is a health problem and in the wild they would just abandon it.

Many people do try to save a baby that has been abandoned or is being "mistreated" but that is a very difficult job. Not sure I could let a baby be harmed but then I do not raise birds so I'm not familiar with their care - I only know from what I read.

Does the other nest have eggs? Are the adults taking care of the other nest?

for the birds' sake call a vet