Recipes Using Applesauce

Applesauce makes a nice accompaniment to many meat dishes, especially pork. It can also be used in baking and other recipes. This page contains recipes using applesauce.

Applesauce with Pork Roast
Filter Sort

Question: Using Applesauce Instead of Oil

By lkon 1

Can applesauce by substituted for oil in all recipes?

By lkon

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

thr522587 Flag

Well, if you're asking regarding baked goods I would think it would be okay for many, many recipes but I definitely wouldn't take the chance of ruining any general meal recipes by switching out the oil with applesauce which would certainly change the flavor outcome!

Keep in mind that substituting applesauce in baking also changes the way a recipe behaves structurally.Here's a link with some information that should be helpful for you with switching the ingredients for baked goods:

http://community.thenest.com/cs/ks/blogs/dinner/pages/124027.aspx

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Recipe: Applesauce Pork

By Bob 7 41

Pork and apples go great together! The pork is tender and very tasty; my kids love it.

• pork such as a pork roast or loin
  • olive oil
  • 1 onion
  • 1 medium jar of cheap applesauce

Directions:

Empty the jar of applesauce into a saucepan on medium heat and allow applesauce to come to a slow boil.

Add olive oil to another pan and sear the pork on high heat on all sides then place in slow cooker.

Top pork with sliced onions. Cover pork and onions with boiling applesauce. Cook on low for about 8 hours until done.

You can server the pork with or without the applesauce. If you serve the applesauce you can add some herbs and/or Dijon mustard.

Source: I created this recipe with trial and error. I found that cooking the applesauce on the stove was the trick to the process.

By rjwilcox from Wilmington, NC

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Substitute Applesauce for Oil in Baking

By Nina 2

Do I use the same amount of applesauce as I would oil in baking a cake?

By Nina

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Lilac 20 1,329 Flag

Yes, my daughter does that. Her cakes taste flat and awful. I don't even bother to eat a piece. The amount of oil in a slice of cake is small when you consider only a fourth cup goes into the whole cake.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Recipe: Applesauce Salad

By Sandy 135

• 1 can applesauce
  • 2 pkgs Jello (your choice but I use 1 lemon and 1 lime but raspberry is good also)
  • 1 sm can pineapple crushed
  • 1 can 7-Up

Directions:

Bring to boil the applesauce and add the dry Jello. Then add the crushed pineapple and the can of 7-Up. Refrigerate until ready to serve.

By Sandy from Graettinger, IA

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Recipe: Applesauce Pancakes

By Robin 5,893 29

• 2 eggs
  • 1 cup applesauce
  • 2 cups Bisquick
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 1 tsp. cinnamon
  • 1 tsp. lemon juice

Directions:

Beat eggs slightly; add other ingredients and blend. Bake on griddle and enjoy!

By Robin from Washington, IA

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Recipe: Applesauce Jello

By Robin 5,893 29

Ingredients

• 1 pkg. raspberry gelatin (3 oz.)
  • 1 can applesauce (15 oz.)

Directions

Dissolve gelatin in 1 cup boiling water. Add applesauce; stir well. Put in small mold or bowl. Refrigerate. Note: Use sugar free gelatin and applesauce for persons who cannot have sugar.

By Robin from Washington, IA

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Archive: Using Applesauce Instead of Oil

Looking for info on applesauce instead of oil in recipes. If it calls for 1 cup of oil do you use 1 cup of applesauce?

Thanks,
Bagossage

Answers:

RE: Using Applesauce Instead of Oil

Yes - just substitute unsweetened applesauce for oil in whatever amount the recipe calls for. (05/15/2006)

By Crystal

RE: Using Applesauce Instead of Oil

I have used applesauce in baking to replace oil for quite some time. Yes, use the same amount of unsweetened applesauce in the recipe instead of oil. I once tried to replace butter in a recipe thinking it would be the same, IT ISN'T. So, I only replace oil. (05/15/2006)

By Darlene in Mississauga

RE: Using Applesauce Instead of Oil

I have found that if you use the whole cup of applesauce, the baked item is just too heavy and dense. I use 1/2 to 3/4 cup and the rest canola oil. That seems to work fine. (05/15/2006)

By Sandy

RE: Using Applesauce Instead of Oil

I have used unsweetened applesauce in my baking recipes for some time now and no one can tell the difference. I use the same amount of applesauce as what is called for in the oil or shortening measurements. No need to reduce liquid and everything comes out moist and delicious! (05/16/2006)

By maggiemay

RE: Using Applesauce Instead of Oil

You can also use nonfat yogurt in recipes (cakes, breads etc) and get great results. You use the same amount that the recipe calls for in oil.
(05/16/2006)

By Crys

RE: Using Applesauce Instead of Oil

Yes, just substitute the oil measurement with applesauce. Though I personally do add a little oil otherwise the texture changes. Do not try this with pie crust, anyway for me it does not work. Otherwise you can use any of your favorite recipes with the applesauce.

happy baking Lori (05/17/2006)

By Lori

RE: Using Applesauce Instead of Oil

While you can substitute the same amount, I prefer to start out by using 1/2 oil and 1/2 applesauce, then go from there. I've had certain cookies turn out tough and cakes that do not rise the same. Also without any oil, sometimes there is a texture change. By starting with 1/2 of each, you are able to make any necessary adjustments. (05/22/2006)

By susanmajp

Archive: Applesauce Instead of Oil

To lower fat and cholesterol, replace most of the oil in your baking recipes with plain, unsweetened applesauce. It will add moistness without all that fat content.

By Kathy

Responses:
It's Great 11/15/2004
We have done this for years and you honestly can't tell the difference!
By Scott Howard (Guest Post)
Question 02/22/2006
Should I reduce the liquid in a recipe if I use applesauce?
By matilda (Guest Post)

Can applesauce be used instead of oil in cake mixes and box brownies? And if so, how much? Thanks!

roseoma3 from Liberal, MO

Feedback:

RE: Using Applesauce Instead of Oil

Thanks to each and every one of you who kindly replied to my query! Will try it and see my results.

Thanks again!
roseoma3 (09/12/2008)

By roseoma3

RE: Using Applesauce Instead of Oil

You can use and puree fruit in place of oil (pears, peaches, bananas, etc). I have also been using pureed zucchini, just the white pulp to replace the oil and milk in recipes. I sometimes add a bit of water to thin it out for replacing the milk. Doesn't change the taste and makes it a bit denser, but oh so good. Made pancakes the other night using the pureed zucchini for the oil & milk then put the batter about 1/4 inch thick, into a well greased cast iron fry pan, put chopped apple on top and cinnamon sugar, cooked on one side until ready to turn, cook another minute or two and they were delicious and hearty. (09/15/2008)

By Anna from Maine

RE: Using Applesauce Instead of Oil

I also use mayo, and they are very soft (09/16/2008)

By church1040

RE: Using Applesauce Instead of Oil

Hi, one more to add to your list. I use the cinnamon flavor applesauce in chocolate cakes/brownies. It adds a little "something" else to flavor. (Same amount of measurement as oil) (09/16/2008)

By Pat @ PA

RE: Using Applesauce Instead of Oil

Yes, it does work on all baked goods (but not pie crust, for me anyway), even biscuits, muffins and such. You use equal measurements. If cake calls for half a cup of shortening, I use half a cup of applesauce. Though I do remove about 1-2 Tbsp of apple sauce and add the shortening. It keeps the texture right.

Happy baking. (09/16/2008)

By Lori

RE: Using Applesauce Instead of Oil

I'm doing a school science project on this. I am going to bake a batch of cupcakes the normal way and another with some sugar-free applesauce. I'm going to bring the two batches in for my classmates to taste and I will then survey them to see if they look different, taste different, and even smell different. I hope I get an "A". Maybe when I'm done, I'll post my results and a picture. (12/08/2008)

By skittle60920

RE: Using Applesauce Instead of Oil

I tried it and loved it. (02/16/2009)

By Paige D.

Does it have to be unsweetened applesauce when you use applesauce to replace oil in a recipe? Will regular applesauce work just as well?

By Jillard95 from Chicago, IL

Feedback:

RE: Using Applesauce Instead of Oil

I've used regular old apple sauce. Replace the same amount of oil with it in the recipe. (09/08/2009)

By Corene

RE: Using Applesauce Instead of Oil

Yes, of course, but reduce the sugar you use in the recipe. If your trying to remove fat, then adding more sugar just doesn't make sense. Good job looking after yourself. :) (09/08/2009)

By quiltmum

RE: Using Applesauce Instead of Oil

I use applesauce instead of oil all the time. When I first started doing this, I only replaced 1/2 the oil, to get my family accustomed to it. Then I started slowly replacing more and more until I did not have to use oil anymore. Using applesauce, does give the cake a little different consistency than oil. I would not suggest to use all applesauce in a brownie recipe. Substitute 1/2 and 1/2. (09/10/2009)

By monnat96

RE: Using Applesauce Instead of Oil

Yes, I use a standard chocolate cake mix which calls for 1/2 cup of oil, I replace the oil with 1 cup unsweetened apple sauce, use skim milk in place of water, add 4 heaping tbsp of unsweetened cocoa powder, 3 eggs. also I use fat and sugar free chocolate pudding made with skim milk(as frosting). the cake is rich and wonderful and fat free :) enjoy!
~Ter! (10/13/2009)

By Ter!

Archive: Applesauce Pancakes

Ingredients

• 2 cups biscuit mix (like Bisquick or generic)
  • 1 egg
  • 1 cup applesauce
  • 1/2 tsp. lemon flavoring
  • Milk to desired consistency

Directions

Add ingredients in order given and fry as usual. Serve with hot maple syrup.

By Robin from Washington, IA

I just made low fat brownies from mix, with some chopped pecans added, by substituting 2/3 cup unsweetened applesauce in place of 2/3 cup oil. A little different texture, but they are good. Cuts down on fat consumption.

By Ivy from Porter, TX

Feedback:

RE: Using Applesauce Instead of Oil

I find in just substituting a little bit of the applesauce with oil, it doesn't change the texture. (02/24/2010)

By lgintrnj

Archive: Use Applesauce In Holiday Baking

When doing all your holiday baking, try substituting 1/2 the oil called for in the recipe with the same amount of applesauce. The result will be more nutritious, moister, and less costly. The taste will not be affected.

By Anne from Green Bay, WI

Feedback:

RE: Use Applesauce In Holiday Baking

I have been substituting applesauce for oil in baked goods for years and it works wonderfully! (12/02/2008)

By hostapartyonline

RE: Use Applesauce In Holiday Baking

I do this often too. It even works with bread baked from scratch. But make sure you use UNsweetened! (12/02/2008)

By waxghost

How much applesauce do you use instead of oil in a recipe?

By Linda from WV

Feedback:

RE: Using Applesauce Instead of Oil

I have used cup for cup, but the cake mix and brownie mix baked up very, very light and spongy. Not terrible, but you could tell that I didn't use any oil. The texture did change. The brownies didn't come out all fudgy and chewy which is how I like them, but I also like fitting into my jeans.

I think 2/3 cup is good - have done that before and things bake up a little more normal. I have heard you can use prune 'filling' actually I don't know what it is, but it's also called 'Lekvar' by certain nationalities. You can find it easily in the canned pie filling section of the baking aisle in the grocery store.

I've always wanted to use it, but never have. I did read, though, that you cannot taste prunes in the final product. Fiber? I would imagine it would add some in the way of a laxative effect, but have directly spoken with anyone who used it.

I've heard you can use plain pumpkin pie fruit - not pumpkin pie filling'. Also with no taste in the finished goods. (06/13/2010)

By metroplex

RE: Using Applesauce Instead of Oil

My daughter does that and I'll be honest, I would just as soon not have cake if I have to eat it that way. If you take the amount of oil you should use and divide it with the number of pieces in the cake, you aren't really getting much.

You still need to subtract the oil calories and add the applesauce calories to get the true difference and it really isn't that much. You still have the carbs and sugar of the cake so why not add the oil and enjoy a piece of cake once in a while. I never eat my daughter's cake. I'd rather have something else like a piece of fruit. (06/15/2010)

By Lilac

RE: Using Applesauce Instead of Oil

When I do this, I never replace more than half of the measurement called for. I sometimes use the little snack size cups. If the recipe calls for a cup of oil, I'll use a snack cup of applesauce and then make up the difference with oil (canola). (06/15/2010)

By ahastings7878

RE: Using Applesauce Instead of Oil

Someone in a much earlier post mentioned using prunes. I've done this. I found a lowfat bran muffin recipe (that I've since lost) years back in a Shape magazine and, instead of oil they used baby food prunes. I works awesome, makes a very moist muffin, cupcake or cake. You would seriously never notice a difference in texture.

I found a low fat chocolate cupcake recipe using 1/3 cup cinnamon apple sauce and a Tbsp of oil. I replaced the oil with one jar of baby food prunes and they are wonderful, very moist and yummy. You can also use mayonnaise with very good results although that can be high fat too, depending on the mayo. I have a mayonnaise cake recipe and used a very low fat eggless mayo with very good results

Racquelle (06/28/2010)

By Racquelle

Archive: Substitute Applesauce for Oil in Baking

To cut down on calories, I use applesauce in cakes and other goodies. The applesauce is a substitute for oil and makes the cake or goody you are making more moist. So by using applesauce not only are you cutting calories, you are also making a moister cake.

By Gem from VA

Feedback:

RE: Substitute Applesauce for Oil in Baking

I have been doing this for many years. (10/04/2010)

By redhatterb

My daughter does this and I hate her cakes. If you take the amount of oil and divide it into the number of slices in the cake, you will find you are getting very little oil. Compared to the sugar in the apple sauce there is not enough difference in calories to make much difference. (10/05/2010)

By Lilac

Food and Recipes RecipesFebruary 7, 2013
ThriftyFun on Facebook ThriftyFun on Pinterest Enter a Contest Free Newsletters Ask a Question Share a Post
Applesauce
Applesauce Bar Recipes
Canning Applesauce
Canning Applesauce
Applesauce bread with chunks of apple.
Applesauce Bread Recipes
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 7, 2016 at 6:24:19 PM on 10.0.1.238 in 830 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.

All ArticlesSolutionsQuestionsArchives
NewestOldestMost HelpfulLeast HelpfulMost AnswersFewest AnswersBest AnswersRelevance
Site MenuShare a PostContestsAsk a QuestionAbout ThriftyFun
BrowseAll By DateAll GuidesAll QuestionsAll VideosRecent FeedbackLonely Questions
CategoriesBetter LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness & LegalConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood & RecipesGarage SalesHealth & BeautyHolidays & PartiesHome & GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsTravel & RecreationWeddings