Recipes Using Canned Chicken

I already requested recipes for canned corn and dried beans. Now this one is again from the food pantry. I have several large cans of chicken. It is meat from a whole chicken, 4 cups worth actually. I don't know what to do with it. I am single and when I make a recipe, it is always too much. I have to do with what is on hand, so I don't have the nerve to give it to a neighbor.

Help please,
Sandy from Baltimore, MD

Answers:

Recipes Using Canned Chicken

Sandy, you can divide the chicken meat up and make several different recipes up in small serving sizes, cook, cool and freeze for quickie meals later. Example; soup, dumplings, stuffing, noodles, a couple canned biscuits for dumplings, stuff the rest with chicken and veggies making a tart, use one of those cup o noodles, add chicken and voila! Get some snack size bags and freeze it plain for other uses. Hope this helps. (03/14/2007)

By KELLYCAJUN

Recipes Using Canned Chicken

After opening the chicken, freeze in 1 cup portions. To use 1 cup of it:

1. Make chicken salad with mayo, chopped celery/onion, and have sandwiches.
2. Shred chicken into a can of cream of mushroom soup mixed with 1/2 can milk, heat and serve over toast, rice, noodles or mashed potatoes. Add peas if you wish.
3. Make macaroni salad with chicken instead of tuna.
4. Make chicken quesadillas by putting shredded chicken and shredded cheese between 2 tortillas, and browning both sides in a frying pan. Serve with salsa/sour cream.
5. Cook 1 cup noodles, make 2-3 cups chicken bouillon, combine noodles, and add chicken for a fast soup.
6. Add shredded chicken to chicken ramen noodle, if you make them. (03/14/2007)

By jean

Recipes Using Canned Chicken

Try this casserole. My family loves it!

CHICKEN CASSEROLE:

• 4 cups cubed cooked chicken
  • 1 can cream of chicken soup
  • 1 1/2 cups elbow macaroni, cooked and drained
  • 1 can cream of celery soup
  • 1 jar (2 oz.) diced pimientos, drained
  • 8 oz. cheddar cheese, grated
  • 1 medium onion, chopped
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 1 medium green pepper, chopped
  • 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning

Topping: 1/2 cup crushed cornflakes, 1 tablespoon butter or margarine, melted.

-Mix all ingredients, except topping. Pour into greased 13x9x2 inch baking dish. Cover and refrigerate overnight. Take out of refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Bake covered at 350 degrees for 45 minutes. Combine cornflakes and melted butter; sprinkle over casserole. Bake uncovered for 15-20 more minutes. (03/15/2007)

By Jean

Recipes Using Canned Chicken

Chicken and noddle dinner. Take a can of cream of chicken soup and mix with the canned chicken. Heat on stove. Do not add water. Pour over egg noodles and mix all together. A nice easy and inexpensive meal! Hope this helps you! (03/15/2007)

By Elby

Recipes Using Canned Chicken

You might want to buy one of those vacuum sealing Food Saver type machines. This way you can package and freeze your culinary excess and put it to good use later. (03/15/2007)

By cookwie

Recipes Using Canned Chicken

Again this food is from the state food bank. I get what they give me. At this time all I buy at the store is milk, eggs and cheese, and if feeling overwhelmed I will buy some veggies. But for the most part I am eating this canned food. Thank you. (03/15/2007)

By sandy63

Recipes Using Canned Chicken

I would freeze it like suggested, but put it in small air tight containers (I like the cheap ones that they sell for freezer jam - look for them by the Ball jars in your supermarket) and top off with water or broth (canned is fine). This creates a "seal" against freezer burn. Some recipe ideas:

Cook some rice (white, brown or mixed), add some cheese sauce (Ragu Double Cheddar is good and keeps for awhile in the fridge), butter, a bit of cream of mushroom soup (freeze the rest in small containers), broccoli, cauliflower, carrots or whatever you like, and some chicken. Bake in a small oven proof bowl until bubbly.

Mix chicken with some cheese sauce, sour cream, canned diced tomatoes with green chilies. Place some of the chicken mix down the middle of a couple of tortillas and roll up. Place in a small casserole dish and bake for a few minutes. Top with salsa, sour cream, more cheese sauce, etc.

Use the rest of the can of diced tomatoes with green chilies to make an easy salsa: Mix the contents of the can (including juice) with a pinch of salt, a couple grinds of black pepper, a pinch of parsley and a couple pinches dried onion flakes. You can add a pinch or two of dried cilantro if you like. Let it sit for at least 10 minutes before using. This will keep in a glass jar (like a spaghetti sauce jar) for a week or two. Great on tortilla chips, eggs, baked potatoes, frozen burritos, etc.

Mix chicken with some mayo and some sour cream and then add the "homemade" salsa to taste. Serve on bread, chips, tortilla chips, etc. You can also do this with canned tuna. (It sounds weird, but try it.)

Mix some cooked rice, reserved frozen (thawed) cream of mushroom soup, chicken, sauteed peppers and onions.

Combine chicken with Jarred Alfredo sauce, spread on a mini pre-baked pizza shell or a soft pita. Top with onions, mushrooms, green peppers, spinach, broccoli, etc. Bake until bubbly. Top with some shredded mozzarella or Parmesan and bake a few minutes more. (03/15/2007)

By thriftyboo

Recipes Using Canned Chicken

All the ideas are good ones. So I will just say that when you open the chicken, one frugal idea would be to open a can of broth and add it to the extra chicken and bag it together in quart freezer zip bags, squeeze all the air out. Use one serving and freeze the rest in individual amounts.

Using freezer quart zip bags will save freezer burn from happening. Using broth with the chicken will extend the freezer life. Use a Sharpie marker to date your package the date it was frozen. Freeze flat or put a cardboard box the size of the bag to keep flat until frozen. Then can be put in another spot in the freezer. (03/16/2007)

By chml

Recipes Using Canned Chicken

I use can chicken quite often. If you look at www.bisquick.com, you will find many good recipes that include can chicken. If you can not eat all of the recipe at one time, you can freeze it and use for another day's meal. (03/16/2007)

By Lee

Recipes Using Canned Chicken

I get the large cans of chicken, split it into three parts. I freeze two servings, use the other with canned gravy and heat. It makes a great chicken gravy for over mashed potatoes or add a can of cream of chicken soup, and some ritz crackers (generic works fine), crush the crackers, a little pepper, and a tad bit of onion. Put in crock pot, makes awesome shredded chicken sands. Enjoy. (09/06/2007)

By teresa

Recipes Using Canned Chicken

It also makes a very good tasting BBQ sandwich by just adding bottled sauce to meat. (02/28/2008)

Recipes Using Canned Chicken

Get a package of Lipton creamy chicken and rice or noodles. Cook as directed add a can of chicken, and mix together. We put soy sauce and oriental rice noodles on ours. It is a family favorite. Tastes great as left overs. Any kind of package noodles or rice will work as long they are creamy. (09/02/2008)

By grace_46241

• Comments

Tin of canned chicken on a granite countertop
    Recipes Using Canned Chicken
    Chicken a la King in puff pastry shell
    Chicken A' La King Recipes
    Canned Beans
    Using Canned Beans in a Crockpot
    Fried Chicken
    Canning Fried Chicken
    Cute Little Girl in Chicken Costume
    Making a Chicken Costume
    🎉
    🎄