Recipes Using Leftover Pasta

There are ways to use up leftover cooked pasta in delicious meals. This page contains recipes using leftover pasta.

Pasta salad with veggies is quick and easy, if you think leftovers. During the summer months, I try to keep a container of cooked rotini noodles in the freezer. If I find I have small amounts of cooked vegetables, such as broccoli, grilled zucchini, carrots, etc. I put the frozen cooked pasta in a colander and run cold water over it until defrosted (takes less than 30 seconds).

Next, dump in a bowl the pasta, the veggies and bottled Italian salad dressing (your preference on how much), mix and refrigerate. If I have sliced black olives to use up, in they go, too; same for chopped onion and diced tomatoes that need used up. I refrigerate several hours before serving, mixing occasionally. I am adventurous with the veggies I try, and so far, haven't found a combination or medley that I didn't like.

By Ronsan from Southwest Missouri

I save leftover pasta in the freezer, too but instead of a salad, I thaw, add veggies (again leftovers) a little butter, milk and parmesan cheese. Heat thru and serve. Makes a great side dish.

Heat skillet, dice tomato and mix with macaroni and cheese. Place in frying pan and cook until brown on both sides.

When I make something with pasta, I always have some uncooked pasta in boxes left over. Now I have about 3 boxes of different kinds of uncooked pasta that just have a little left in each of them (less than half the box). I have some lasagna, fettuccine, elbows, etc. Different lengths and sizes. Could someone please suggest a way for me to use up these extra amounts of pasta rather than throwing them out? Thanks in advance for your clever replies!

Jennifer from Buffalo, NY

In my house, my kids LOVES spaghetti with different shaped pasta.

Or, the next time you make soup, throw a few different pastas in the soup broth.

How about parsley buttered noodles or just add it when making spaghetti like the one lady said. Just have fun when you cook. Our grandmothers did the same thing they never used measuring cups or anything. Just a pinch here and there. Or as Emered say BAM and have a ball.

I just keep all my dry pastas in gallon jars and add to them as needed so I never have leftovers and always have it when I need it. I store the jars on the top of my cupboards. They look neat and decorative, and they are sealed from bugs and dust. Pasta is much cheaper when bought in large packagesa rather than single recipe sizes. I agree with everyone else as to great ways to use small amounts. Why would you throw out something that keeps forever?

I just keep my pasta in a large canister, When the canister gets low, I add the pasta to my grocery list.

I purchase different shapes of pasta for my marinated pasta salad - bow tie, wheels, etc...and all colors. Besides pasta I add whatever I have in the refrigerator: chopped ham, chicken-turkey, salami, pepperoni, cubed cheese - cheddar or mozzarella, marinated artichoke hearts, onion, peas, broccoli, corn, olives. While pasta is warm I add Italian or a Feta Greek dressing to in. I often take this to church in the summer months and rarely bring any home.

Family Circle has a wonderful feature called 1-2-3 Ingredient Meals. I learned that if you mix 1 part ground turkey, 1 16 oz. can of Cranberry Jellied Sauce and 1 24 oz. can of Spaghetti sauce, you have the best goolash I have ever had. Its tangy, sweet, and low cal.

So, what better way to use up mismatched pasta than to break up the larger pieces and make some Goolash!!

And, if you are in a need for something to decorate with, here's an idea. Break up the lasagna, mix it with the other, maybe add some spinich pasta or some 16 bean soup for color, and put it in an old jar! Keep in up high and away from heat, and it's a nice addition to that country home look!

Why not break it all into different size pieces and use it in a casserole, using pasta sauce and spices and maybe add some ground beef. Top with cheese and bake it a while and presto all the pasta is used up and a dinner is made. Hope this helps.

Once you've cooked all of the pasta, try stirring in some olive oil. That way you can keep it in your refrigertor for days and have it handy for any recipe since it won't stick. You can throw it in soups, toss with herbs and parmesan cheese, etc. Also, if you steam some frozen vegetables and mix in spicy cheese sauce (like Tostitos salsa con queso), it's wonderful!

Try breaking your pasta into similar sizes and toss into your favorite rice mix 7-9 min. before rice is done. Adds flavor, shape variety and good taste!