Recovery Time for Dog With Parvo

My dog just got home from the vets. He is recovering from Parvo. How long will it take for him to gain his strength back?

By Shea from Wytheville, VA

Answers:

Recovery Time for Dog With Parvo

Several years ago my new puppy came down with parvo between the dates of the parvo shots. She was one sick baby and I doubted that she would even live. It took months before she fully recovered and actually had an appetite. She lost most of her hair due to the bolus injections beneath the skin when a vein couldn't be found for an IV. She was just the most pitiful dog I have ever seen. She is almost 11 now and beautiful with a full coat of hair.

She is a long haired Chihuahua and is a real joy to be around. One thing notable is that after having parvo, she has always appeared more sensitive to pain and becomes frightened if she thinks you are going to do something to her ie., clip nails, clean ears, etc. I have always felt this is because she went through so much pain in her young life. Hope your puppy continues to grow stronger daily and that it will make a complete recovery. (04/24/2010)

By Banty

RE: Recovery Time for Dog With Parvo

Recovery Time for Dog With Parvo

It took my dog a few weeks to get "better" and at least a full month to get back to her "old" self. Our vet only gave her a 20% chance of survival since we took her home and administered the medication ourselves. But I think she survived because we stayed with her 24 hours a day the entire time she was sick. Something a vet and assistants are not able to give. I don't even think we slept for about 3 days since she was so sick.

After the 4th day, we slept here and there (took naps when she took naps) and woke up automatically when she did so she could throw up. We held her little head over the trash can, then cleaned her up. We gave her IV fluid and all of the medications as the doctor prescribed all on time.

I do wish the best for you. I know how we felt thinking we were losing our baby. It's not easy. But Belle pulled through it and yours can too. I'll say a prayer for your little furbaby!
/210215792508?ref=nf (04/25/2010)

By AngelLoveInOhio

RE: Recovery Time for Dog With Parvo

Recovery Time for Dog With Parvo

I have had 2 dogs live through parvo and both times we kept them home for treatment. It depends on your dog and how bad it was for them. The most recent one only took about a week to get back to normal. I would keep giving them something like Gatorade or Pedialyte, something that has electrolytes and try food that will be easy on his stomach. (05/05/2010)

By A_M123

dog with parvo
Information About Parvo
A dog being seen by a veterinarian.
Can a Dog Get Parvo Again?
Heart Patient with Doctor
Open Heart Surgery Recovery Advice for Patient's Family
Puppy Smelling Flower
Getting a Puppy After Losing One to Parvo
🎄