Red-shouldered Hawk

Vote for this contest contender!

Photo Description
Yesterday morning, my husband shouted, "You want to see something pretty? Come and look!" He was in the kitchen, looking out the window.

I looked, but didn't see anything unusual. Sitting in the pecan tree was a Red-shouldered Hawk. His back was to me and he blended in so well with the tree that I did not see him until he was pointed out to me.

Looking through the binoculars, I thought his back was his front because his head was turned all the way round.

Searching for a good meal, he hung around for about an hour giving me time to take pictures.

The average length of the Red-shouldered Hawk is 19 inches with a wing span of 40 inches and weight 1.5 pounds. They take a variety of prey including, small mammals, snakes, and frogs. "An Audubon Handbook Eastern Birds"

Location: North Carolina

LG

I live pretty close to you but I don't think I've ever seen this bird. Maybe I just need to be more observant. He is one handsome fella. Thanks for the pictures.

Doug

I live in Florida and I believe one of these has become a permanent "resident" of our area.

I have a very large bird house in my front yard where he spends a lot of time - just sitting on top and looking around. I can see him up close and he is gorgeous! I have never seen him "catch" one of my birds but they do stay away when he is visiting.

Thanks for posting such nice pictures.

These are great pictures. I love bird watching and it's very rare that you can see a hawk this close up.

grosbeaks in the snow eating
Wild Bird Photos
Photos WildlifeDecember 16, 2016
Cardinal in a tree.
Cardinal Information and Photos
Red Wine
Removing Red Wine Stains from Microfiber
Red delicious apples.
Recipes Using Red Delicious Apples
Glass of Red Wine Spilled on Carpet
Removing Red Wine Stains from Carpet
🍀
💘
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on January 4, 2017 at 10:28:02 AM on 10.0.1.206 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.