WildlifePhotos

Red-shouldered Hawk

Photo Description
Yesterday morning, my husband shouted, "You want to see something pretty? Come and look!" He was in the kitchen, looking out the window.

I looked, but didn't see anything unusual. Sitting in the pecan tree was a Red-shouldered Hawk. His back was to me and he blended in so well with the tree that I did not see him until he was pointed out to me.

Looking through the binoculars, I thought his back was his front because his head was turned all the way round.

Searching for a good meal, he hung around for about an hour giving me time to take pictures.

The average length of the Red-shouldered Hawk is 19 inches with a wing span of 40 inches and weight 1.5 pounds. They take a variety of prey including, small mammals, snakes, and frogs. "An Audubon Handbook Eastern Birds"

Location: North Carolina

LG

I live pretty close to you but I don't think I've ever seen this bird. Maybe I just need to be more observant. He is one handsome fella. Thanks for the pictures.

Doug

Reply Like this photo? Yes

I live in Florida and I believe one of these has become a permanent "resident" of our area.

I have a very large bird house in my front yard where he spends a lot of time - just sitting on top and looking around. I can see him up close and he is gorgeous! I have never seen him "catch" one of my birds but they do stay away when he is visiting.

Thanks for posting such nice pictures.

Reply Like this photo? Yes

These are great pictures. I love bird watching and it's very rare that you can see a hawk this close up.

Reply Like this photo? Yes