Hawk Photos and Information

Category Wildlife
This guide contains hawk photos and information. These majestic birds are beautiful and intelligent. Here are some amazing photos of hawks from all over the United States.

Photos

Share on ThriftyFunCheck out these photos. Click at right to share your own photo in this guide.

Photo Description
This hawk visited our back yard several times. What a treat! I was lucky to have gotten such a great photo.

Photo Location
Leander, Texas

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 13

I took this photo from my back yard patio. The hawk was soaring on the warm, off shore winds that we are experiencing this week. He circled around for several minutes. What a fantastically beautiful bird.

I once had a friend who loved animals and had a beautiful red tail hawk. He had trained it to fly in the countryside and come back to him when he blew a whistle and twirled a wooden lure over his head on a rope. What a great nature experience to witness. He later became a veterinarian.

By Bobby33

Soaring Red Tail Hawk

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 5

Photo Description
Yesterday morning, my husband shouted, "You want to see something pretty? Come and look!" He was in the kitchen, looking out the window.

I looked, but didn't see anything unusual. Sitting in the pecan tree was a Red-shouldered Hawk. His back was to me and he blended in so well with the tree that I did not see him until he was pointed out to me.

Looking through the binoculars, I thought his back was his front because his head was turned all the way round.

Searching for a good meal, he hung around for about an hour giving me time to take pictures.

The average length of the Red-shouldered Hawk is 19 inches with a wing span of 40 inches and weight 1.5 pounds. They take a variety of prey including, small mammals, snakes, and frogs. "An Audubon Handbook Eastern Birds"

Location: North Carolina

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 2

This was a hawk I saw when I was on Big Sur in CA. I often spent my days off driving around there, it was so beautiful.

It is so wonderful to see birds of prey in the wild. I live on the east coast, and you do not see them often.

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 34

This guy is also a frequent visitor. He helps keep the the squirrel population under control, and also goes after the crows. Crows eat the eggs of other birds.

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 5

I spotted this beautiful hawk on my roof top as I was arriving at the house one afternoon from being out shooting photos. I only had a few seconds to reach in my car and grab my camera, and as I did, the flight begins.

Out of all the photos I took that day, this was the best by far!

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 3

I was in my bedroom watching the morning news, when a hawk swooped in and landed in the tree outside my window. I ran to the kitchen to grab my camera, but this was the only shot I could get. When I snapped this photo, it was through 2 layers of glass. It looked terrible! Once I got it into Corel Draw, all I had to do was an automatic adjustment, and it looks much better now.

Taken November 4th, 2010

By Leigh

Answers:

Wildlife: Hawk

Wow! Thanks for sharing! (11/18/2010)

By Sharon Stone Gibson

Wildlife: Hawk

I think that's a great picture! Large birds are so amazing to look at, they are so majestic and regal! (11/18/2010)

By SuzyQ82

Wildlife: Hawk

Beautiful picture and lovely of you to show us so we all can enjoy him! (11/18/2010)

By bpaddle

Comment Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

I was lucky to get this shot with my new camera while driving down a country road that I travel frequently. I see these hawks a lot but was never able to get a decent shot. I spotted him, slowed down and made sure no cars were coming, grabbed my camera and took it right through the windshield. He was definitely the largest one I have seen and I made sure not to get too close because they will fly off (I knew from experience). The zoom on my camera is great and I considered this a special day!

By Robbie

Answers:

Wildlife: Hawk

I always thought hawks were spectacular, loved to watch them ride the thermals far overhead. (06/24/2010)

By Lelia Jo Cordell

Comment Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

This is the fourth Hawk I've seen this week. Really beautiful animals

By Peggy from Cortland, OH (Texas)

Answers:

Small Hawk

I see them here in Ohio about 12 times a day. maybe you need to get out more :) (03/27/2009)

By amy

Small Hawk

Here in central Illinois we are blessed with hawks as well. We live behind an active field so they have plenty to eat. We have a pair of Red Tail Hawks as well as Cooper Hawks. They keep things very interesting and cut down on the "varmits" such as rabbits mice, snakes,etc. (03/27/2009)

By DEBRA D. JEAKINS

Small Hawk

That is a beautiful picture! I have never seen a hawk up close like that. They truly are beautiful birds, aren't they? Thanks for sharing it with us and God bless you. (03/28/2009)

By Pat Giles

Small Hawk

Great photo! Thanks for sharing it.

(03/29/2009)

By jan king

Small Hawk

BBkitty was not a nice kitty! Thank you for sharing photo and identifying it, as the only birds I can spot are seagulls or a red cardinal or blue bird. Living in MO, I see many birds and sometimes I wonder what they are. Your photo is nice. I hope you post more!
=^..^= (03/29/2009)

By Annie Rios Hill

Comment Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

A hawk crashed into our sliding glass door and was dazed. After getting up, it just stood there and looked at me.

Comment Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

This beautiful little baby hawk was sitting up against my house. I found him when I was bringing in sheets off of the clothesline.

Comment Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes