Reducing the Yeast Taste in Homemade Bread

Category Breads
Sliced homemade bread on a cutting board
Sometimes when making your own bread the recipe you use produces loaves that have a noticeably yeasty taste. This is a guide about reducing the yeast taste in homemade bread.

Help! I am baking my own bread because I'm getting sticker shock from the store bought loaves. My family complains that it tastes too yeasty. I agree that there is a bit more of that flavor in my bread, but I thought that was how it's supposed to taste. Any advice would be most welcome!

Amy from Canton, OH

Anonymous
Best Answer

I make homemade bread with a potato flake starter; you can "google" potato flake starter recipe and find it; it is a very easy recipe - it is a sourdough starter and does not have a yeasty taste.

Best Answer

This is a great bread recipe. I use it for my pizza dough. 2pkg instant yeast

2 cups warm water

2Tsugar

1t salt

2 eggs beaten

1/4 cup oil

6 1/2 to 7 cups flour

put warm water in bowl add sugar desolbe

sprinkle in the yeast

set til foamy--add eggs oil

add flour

knead well

put in loaf pans or make 24 buns or pizza dough.

no need to let rise .it rises as it bakes. 400 degrees about 12 min.It is country crust white bread This is delicious. Tina

Best Answer

An old lady once told me that you could make anywhere from 2 to 12 loaves of bread with 2 yeast packets( the old kind). Now it is desert spoons.

She was right, I've done it when my kids were at home. Now I'm alone I certainly don't want 12 loaves in my tiny freezing compartment so I got a bread maker. It only uses 1 1/4 tsp for a 3 lb. loaf. Yeast is not good for gout so it's a blessing.

Best Answer

Here is the recipe that I use for white bread, although I bake whole grain breads mostly anymore. This recipe came from the husband of a friend. He made the mistake of criticizing her home made bread, and she said if he thought he could do better, he could start baking the bread. So he did and came up with this really good bread. He added extra yeast to shorten the rising time, and to reduce the yeasty flavor, he added his "secret" ingredient. The only thing that I have changed is the amount of the ingredients so that I could use the bread maker and make a single loaf. Incidentally,he still does the bread making!

Les's White Bread

Add ingredients into breadmaker in the order listed

1 cup warm water

1 teaspoon salt

2 Tablespoons sugar

1 Tablespoon oil

1/2 teaspoon vanilla (secret ingredient)

1 Tablespoon yeast

3 1/2 cups white flour

You may let the breadmaker mix, knead and bake the loaf,

but I prefer to transfer to a greased loaf pan after the first rise and bake in the oven. Let it rise again in the pan until it is just a little above the edge of the pan. Bake in the oven at 400º for 25-30 minutes. Remove from pan immediately and allow to cool before wrapping.

Notes: For a softer crust, wrap the hot bread in a heavy towel until cool, then store in a plastic bag.

I have altered this recipe by using 2 cups white flour and 1 1/4 whole wheat flour plus1/4 cup wheat gluten. Or substitute 1 cup quick oatmeal for a cup of the flour.

This also makes great cloverleaf rolls. Just form into walnut size balls and put 3 balls in each cup of a greased muffin pan. let rise and bake at 350º until golden brown. Wrap in a towel to cool.

Harlean from Arkansas