Using Yeast in a Bread Machine

Category Breads
Unless instructed, do not use rapid rising yeast in your bread machine. It can create a fluffy texture or cause the bread to rise too fast and then fall in on itself. This is a guide about using yeast in a bread machine.

I've experimented a lot over the years with recipes for my breadmaker (makes 2 pound loaves). When I use quick rise yeast, I don't use the full amount of yeast the recipe calls for. 1 teaspoon of quick rise yeast is perfect for my loaf and I can make twice as many loaves of bread with one jar of yeast.

Source: Me :)

Top Comment

I do not cook my bread in the breadmaker...I just make dough and cook it in the oven. Would U suggest to use less Breadmachine Yeast as well for just making dough? Thanks for your input. Terry, Nova Scotia

By no name today (Guest Post)
Top Comment

If you regularly use yeast, you might consider buying yeast in larger quantities. Sam's club sells a package of 2 - 1 lb packages. Many places sell bulk yeast.

Big saving! I freeze mine and just keep a small amount.

Does it matter if you use rapid rise yeast or regular active yeast in your bread maker? The manual doesn't specify. One recipe site recommended to add water to your active yeast before adding to your machine.

I'm trying to become a "professional" before the holidays. I'm trying to make some thrifty gifts so any tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

By Crystal from VA

Answers

Best Answer

I have been making homemade bread for years. I know that regular yeast works very well in these recipes. If the recipe does not specify rapid rise yeast, don't use it.

It will give the bread a fluffier texture. There are recipes for bread machine use. Try them out before you start making changes.

Best Answer

Do not try to use the rapid rise unless your machine has a setting for this type of yeast. If you use it on a regular bread setting the bread will rise too high and then start to fall in the center before it starts to bake. Keep the yeast away from the liquids in the pan and make sure to bring all your ingredients to room temperature prior to starting your machine unless it has a warming cycle. From a financial standpoint, as you are trying to be thrifty, Sam's club sells a 2 pack of 1 pound bricks of yeast for not much more than a 4 ounce jar at the grocery store. In my area $4.24 compared to $3.99. I prefer to spend the extra 24 cents and give a pound away. Best price on bread flour in my area too. Good luck with the bread.

Can I use fast acting yeast in my bread maker? If so, how does the recipe change?

Answers

Best Answer

From a cook on Chowhound:

Instant or Rapid Rise Yeast does not require warm liquid to be activated. This type of yeast has been genetically engineered from different strains of yeast to produce breads that can be made with only one rising.

Rapid rise yeast is also more finely granulated than active dry yeast, so it does not need to be dissolved in water first. It can be added directly to the dry ingredients, making it a popular choice for use with bread machines.

Best Answer

I have used both in my bread machine, and have had success.