Remedies for Dry Skin

What to do for dry split skin the your heels? My daughter-in-law needs help.

By Shirley from KY

Answers:

Remedies for Dry Skin

I use a mixture of two things in one overnight process.

1st - I coat my feet in lotion. Don't rub it in too well.

2nd - I sprinkle with Gold Bond Powder, because I like the menthol in it. I suppose some other mentholated type powder or even a cream mixed in with the lotion would work just as well, but Gold Bond is GOOD STUFF....
3rd - I bag my feet in small (unscented) trash bags and slip into my socks.
4th - sleep in this.
5th - Wash thouroughly the next morning.

You can do this as much as you want but watch for irritations the first couple of days.
(07/21/2010)

By Dedeswrkshop

Remedies for Dry Skin

After her bath or shower, do not dry feet. Coat feet with Vaseline and wear socks to bed. CVS has a very inexpensive cream that works very well. In about three days her feet should be better, but this needs to be done ever couple of days especially during the winter. I learned this from a WWII vet when I was at IU in the 60's. (07/21/2010)

By Chloelizabeth

Remedies for Dry Skin

You've already gotten several good suggestions. I either use AandD ointment, or plain Vaseline, and wear thick socks to be to keep it on. (07/22/2010)

By fatboyslimsmom

Remedies for Dry Skin

I would try virgin coconut oil and put a plastic bag on that, and then a sock over it. Coconut oil has antifungal and antibiotic, and softening properties to it. I use regular coconut oil but if you can find virgin coconut oil that is great too. Failing that, I would do the above actions with crisco shortening or oil. But Crisco doesn't have the same antifungal or antibiotic properties as coconut oil does.

Robyn (07/23/2010)

By Robyn Fed

Remedies for Dry Skin

Absolute best stuff I have tried is Aquaphor healing ointment. I had dry elbows that used to hurt they were so dry, and Vaseline and lotions did not touch it. After I used Aquaphor, it worked so well that I discovered my elbows were ticklish! Haha, that's a sensation I never remembered feeling before! Plus it's the best balm to use on lips because it does not contain any drying agents that a lot of lip balm companies add to keep customers needing to use their products :) Amazing stuff, you can buy it in small tubes now, too. (07/24/2010)

By dorinmoz

Remedies for Dry Skin

I used to work in a hospital where almost everyone wore Birkenstock shoes and we all had cracked heels. One of the docs came up with the cure. Use a pumice stone in the shower every day and slather on Vick's Vaporub. Works like a charm! (07/28/2010)

By Bethmom1961

Remedies for Dry Skin

I had this problem and after reading one of these posts, I realize it has only been since wearing Birkenstocks!

Anyway, I tried a bunch of things and had failure each time. My husband bought me Earth to Skin's HeelTastic Intensive Heel Therapy. It's a clear tube container like round deodorant. It works wonderfully! It has a lot of oils in it. I love it. I apply after my shower, then again before bed. Hubby got it at Bed, Bath and Beyond for around $15-$20, but you can now find it almost anywhere for $10. (Also on TV.) I noticed significant difference by day three. Don't forget to pumice off the dead skin in the shower. (07/28/2010)

By dvg

Remedies for Dry Skin

What is causing this dry skin? I get it in the summer from wearing sandals all the time. I can prevent it by keeping the calluses worn off with a foot scraper or pumice stone. I do this when my feet are dry - before the shower or tub, as it is far more effective then! If I should get careless and get cracks, I put band-aids on them, with a petroleum based salve on the crack to aid healing.

I find that it takes awhile for the hard dry skin to heal, so sometimes I have to shave/scrape that off so that the new skin underneath can heal and not be re-opened constantly. If I had many cracks, I would use the salve and plastic bag and socks to bed remedy, as that sounds like it would work. (07/28/2010)

By louel53

Remedies for Dry Skin

Slather on Vaseline at bedtime covered with socks. Simple and cheap.
I had a friend give me a pair of soothing socks. They were the kind with gel in a slipper sock. Gave me foot butter to use too. It was a gift, not a gag type. She thought I might try it. (07/29/2010)

By TandT Grandma

Remedies for Dry Skin

A warning about using the Vicks Vaporub on cracked skin. If the cracks are severe and there is bleeding it is NOT recommended. Got that from Walking Magazine. (08/05/2010)

By thriftmeg

Lotion happy face on foot
Remedies for Dry Skin
A package of cornmeal.
Dry Carpet Cleaner Recipes
Dry Sunburned Skin Remedies
Remedies for Dry Sunburned Skin
bandaid covering a skin tag
Remedies for Skin Tags
Cracked Fingertips
Remedies for Cracked Fingertips
🎉
🎄