Remedies for Incontinence

Category Home Remedies
bathroom toilet
Losing control of bodily functions can make for new health challenges. This guide is about remedies for incontinence.

My mom has Alzheimer's and is incontinent. She gets bleeding sores on her cheek area. She wears a Depend pull up and a Poise pad. I change and clean her about every 4 hours. However, I can't win, as soon as one sore heals another breaks out.

By Geri from Fort Worth, TX

Best Answer

You might want to perhaps use a zinc oxide type of cream or a incontinence cream for bed sores between changing. It will help protect her skin. It is a little more of a mess to clean up each time but helps the skin not to break down as much.

Best Answer

Powder Alum will also help heal sores. Mix with water, 1/2 teaspoon of alum in a pint of water. Apply with a wash cloth several times a day, get it in drug store, if the don't have it ask them to order it, 3 oz cost about $4.00, last a long time, good luck.

Best Answer

I think that its really important to have the area really clean before you put on any ointments or salves. The salves can hold in the acids and germs from the urine that has soaked into the skin. Can your mom sit in a tub? When my children were small I would let them soak in a baking soda bath under a watchful eye for 15 to 30 minutes. Then I would make sure the irritated area was really dry--air dried or dried with a Blow dryer on low. You don't want to abrade the irritated area by rubbing it dry with a towel. Then put on the ointment of your choice. Best wishes and good luck

Best Answer

Sitting in urine for possibly 4 hours at a time is not good. She may also have a yeast infection from the moisture. I would get rid of the pull-ups and Poise pads and move directly to adult diapers. It's only a matter of time anyway, and will make your job easier.

My Mother had Alzheimer's for 10 years, bedridden for about 8 years. We put her on the toilet every couple of hours which cut down on the need for diaper changing, during the day. (Is your Mother eating or drinking something that is making her urine very acidic? Orange juice, other citrus fruits?) Give her yogurt daily to help with that. I would suggest that you check her diaper more frequently, say, every other hour to get the sores under control. Her skin needs to be kept dry. Try medicated powder once the sores are healed.

If she is sitting upright a lot, get her a donut to sit on (find in a medical supply store). If she is bedridden, you'll need to give her skin even more care to prevent pressure sores (bed sores). Once they start, they are difficult to heal and can get very bad, going right to the bone. Frequent turning, gentle massage, range of motion movements/exercises, a healthy variety of fresh foods, vitamins and supplements, etc. will help keep them at bay. Find a geriatric specialist in your area (check local hospital or Alzheimer's Association for referrals). Good luck to you, I know it's not easy. "An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure."

Best Answer

First, bathe her diaper area each time you change her,with soap, like Ivory or Dial,which is good to fight germs. Then pat dry and apply peroxide and pat on for several minutes. They dry with a blow dryer set on warm. After the skin is thoroughly dry, apply a Monistat type cream-you can ask for it at Dollar General, it is much cheaper to buy the Dollar General store brand,called MICONAZOLE. This fights the yeast which will try to grow in any cracks in the skin, fed by the sugar found naturally in urine.Do not use vagisil, it contains nothing to kill yeast.

After you have the sores healed up, continue to sponge bathe with soap and dry her each and every time you change her, same as you would a baby.

But please don't play around with this. My other wise healthy father died from a bedsore which developed after he wrenched his knee and was put in a "rehab" facility to learn how to walk with a knee brace. He never walked again, had a bedsore within three weeks, and within three months was dead from the bedsore which spread bacteria to his bones.

I also recommended the monistat to a neighbor whose 90+ mother suffered pitifully from urine on her skin,and within a couple of weeks, the neighbor was thanking me with tears in her eyes for the relief she was able to give her mother.

Bless you.

Best Answer

You might want to use a product that is called Butt Paste. You should be able to get it in any drug store. This is what the hospital used on my Mom. She had the same problem. It is a product that is used for babies, but works just as well for adults. Good Luck and God Bless.

Best Answer

We were told to use Hibiclens (we bought it at Walgreens) to cleanse the area when my husband had MRSA, and it worked great. This may help with her bedsores.

I have a friend with incontinence that has a sensitivity to the chemical in adult incontinence pads and underwear (same result with different brands). I suggested we figure out how to make a layering of diaper material as a sanitary napkin, but need suggestions. Or how to keep the chemical off her, while still using the commercial pads.

She tried plastic panty covers, but they dripped and became uncomfortably hot.
I appreciate any help you can give me to solve this perplexing situation. Thanks for your time and creative suggestions!

Holly from Richardson, TX

Of course it would depend on how bad of a problem she has but couldn't she use menstral pads. There are several varieties and some Im sure are made more safe then others? Just a thought? Good luck.