Treating a Dog With Urinary Incontinence

Category Health
When your elderly canine companion has accidents in the house, it is a problem. This guide is about treating a dog with urinary incontinence.

I have a Great Dane that has incontinence. After numerous, expensive visits to the vet's, nothing has been able to help her until I obtained "Natural Pet Pharmaceuticals Urinary Incontinence" treatment from a distributor in Canada. But, effective January 1, 2011, I am no longer able to purchase this product in Canada. Does anyone have any cures or suggestions or ideas that will help me because I really don't want to put my baby to sleep. Thanks much and have a great day. Also, thanks to everyone for your answers to my previous posting.

By Willi from Calgary, AB, Canada

Answers

I googled it, and there are a number of sources. You might need to go through several to find one that ships to you, but it looks like you can still get it. Good luck!

Online. Even if you have to order from an offshore pharma co. Shipping from states to Canada may be extra so order several at a time. If you have a script because Canada requires same, you may have to provide that. Looks like it is a product from a good company that still sells here in the states. Online should work. Type value and the product you want.

I found this product on the following websites. onlinepetdepot.com and carealotpets.com Another site with good products is onlynaturalpets.com Good luck!

Have you tried the 1-800petmeds site. They may have your medication.

I am in the US, my dog takes a product called Proin, but it is prescribed through a vet. It works perfectly, she doesn't have any more problems. Before she was given it I was constantly washing blankets and pillows daily and covering her bed with a thick towel and a waterproof tablecloth to cut down on accidents. Did the vet say why she has incontinence? My dog has it becasue of a bad spaying job when she was spayed at the pound when I adopted her. Good luck!

You may have already tried these since you have been to the vet but my dog was on Proin for many years and it worked. Then the problem began again so she was also put on DES and that has worked wonderfully!! It requires a Rx but I get it through the mail with my vet's Rx at about half the cost. Hopefully you can find something that works. Good luck.

My dog has become incontinent and drinks tons of water. Then he goes and pees in my house. What can I do? He has been checked out several times by a vet.

By Connie from Grover, MO

Answers

Even though he's been checked by a vet, it sounds like it could be diabetes, a UTI, or some other disease that causes excessive thirst and loss of bladder control. I would insist on more tests to get to the bottom of this; he's obviously got something going on with his health. It doesn't sound like he's incontinent as much as he drinks so much he has to go frequently, and might not can make it to the door.

This certainly sounds like diabetes. You dont mention your dogs age, but it is fairly common in older dogs and easy to treat. But it sounds lke you may need a new Vet. :)