Remedies for Kennel Cough

Category Health
Kennel cough is a term used to describe both viral and bacterial infections of your dog's voice box and windpipe. It will often clear up on its own, but is very contagious to other dogs. This is a guide about remedies for kennel cough.

Give your dog 1 vitamin C (500 mg), 1 garlic capsule (500 mg), 1 echinacea capsule (125 mg), once a day after food. I hide each pill in a small ball of liverwurst, dogs love it. This is the mildest dosage, for dogs under 10 lbs and puppies. If you have a larger dog, you could try giving it twice a day but not a higher dosage at one time. My Italian Greyhound and Chihuahua mix puppy, 8 lbs, 4 mos. old, came from the shelter with a severe kennel cough. In just 3 days, the infection was going away, after 4 days, only 1 cough. After 5 days, the kennel cough had vanished.

If you read the ingredient list of the very expensive remedies for K.C. found online, the three main ingredients are those. Side effect: A great glossy coat! Additional benefit: I maintain a garlic and vitamin C regimen twice a week, to prevent K.C. relapse and to stave off fleas, ticks and mosquitoes. Ticks cause Lyme's Disease in dogs (and people too), mosquitoes carry West Nile disease and heartworm. Garlic, available in tasteless and odorless capsules in vitamin stores, is the only non-invasive remedy against all those.

I have used it for years on three Doberman pinschers who never caught any of the above and they practically lived outside (My puppy does too). I recommend garlic for people too. Take at least twice a week, 1500 (fifteen hundred) mg for people, 500 (five hundred) mg for dogs. Additional benefit for people and dogs: Mosquitoes won't bite you, bugs won't go on you, and your hair or coat will shine!

By Liz from central FL

This actually works! At first, I chose to take my 3-pound puppy to the vet. He said it was going to last about 2-3 weeks; by the end of the third week, my cost for consultation, medication and follow-up visit would have been about $105. After the 1st week of seeing very ill to no improvement, I decided to give it a try. I got all 3 pills and mixed them in with 4 chunks of dog food and it really worked. I've heard 1 cough in 2 days.

Thank you, for your post!

My dog has kennel cough. I took him to the vet and got meds, now after 2 weeks coughing again. Anyone know anything about this?

Sue from Shoals, IN

Take the dog back to the vet. It could be a relapse.

Hi Robin,

I have worked for a Veterinarian for MANY years. As you know, Kennel Cough is highly contageious to other dogs, as it is an airborne virus. I think you can just call your Dr. and he will give you another RX for your furbaby. It takes awhile for this to go away, so please be patient. Was he/she boarded, groomed or to a dog park recently? Please do not take he/she out around any other dogs until this clears up..... Good Luck

Thanks everyone for posting a response to my question, I did take my dog back too the vet , He was put on another week of coughing pills and antibiotic.. He never had the cough till he when and got his hair cut at the groomer, which just happens to be in the same place the vet is. And now he said if it doesn't get better he wants to do x-rays. this is a small dog 9 pounds. he is about 5 years old...but the vet bills are killing me. Thanks for all the answers I have got.

HI MY GOLDEN WAS DIAGNOSED WITH KENNEL COUGH, HE WAS ON CLAVAMOX AND A COUGH SUPPRESENT FOR 3 WEEKS I CAME HOME FROM WORK TONIGHT AND HE WAS IN RESPIRATORY ARREST AND DIED IN MY ARMS HE WOULD HAVE BEEN 9 IN DECEMBER, NEEDLESS TO SAY I AM INCONSOLABLE.

Editor's Note: Anya, please accept our sincere sympathies. So sorry that he didn't make it. Normally kennel cough is very treatable so it may have been something else. So sorry about this.

Susan from ThriftyFun

What can be done for kennel cough?

By Ruby

Your veterinarian will include kennel cough with your annual c5 vaccination no registered boarding kennel will accept an animal without sighting this current certificate, hope this helps you.

Please click on this link as it's very thorough regarding kennel cough in young to senior dogs.

http://dogs.lov … for_Kennel_Cough

Does anyone know of homemade remedies for cats with kennel cough?

By craftyme from Des Moines, IA

Anonymous

I am not trying to be mean but it's time for a visit to the vet instead of asking questions here! Not only is it dangerous and life threatening to try to treat with homemade remedies, especially for cats, on your own but you are risking any other animals lives who are around this baby!

Anonymous

The vet does not want to see my dogs ifnthey have kennel caugh. Thats how another dog will get it.