Remedies for Split Ends

Keeping your hair from splitting is always desired. This guide is about remedies for split ends.

Girl With Split Ends
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

1. Trim your hair every 6-8 weeks.

2. When you get out of the shower, use a comb not a brush.

3. Crack an egg in the shower. Wash it with shampoo and conditioner.

4. Don't put or rub conditioner on your roots.

5. Lastly, don't play with the ends of your hair. Don't twirl or scratch at it.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

What can I use to help my frizz and split ends on my shoulder length hair?

By Mandie B from Empire, AL

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

My hair is below my waist, finally. First, there is no cure for split ends; that part must be cut. Prevention is the next step. As others are saying, condition, condition, condition. Allow your hair to air dry rather than using any kind of dryer. Don't wash your hair every day, or at least don't use shampoo; a water rinse will be enough in very hot weather if your scalp gets sweaty. Also use gentle shampoos and follow the directions others have posted. I have used most of those and they work.

Read More Answers...

Are there any natural or inexpensive remedies for split ends?

By ecoscrimper101

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Yep scissors, lol - sorry I couldn't resist that! But actually I have long hair & I cut 1/4 inch off every month to keep it healthy.

Read More Answers...

To maintain your split ends in between hair cuts, twist a section of hair between your fingers. You will notice that the dry and damage hairs stick out from the twisted section. Simply take some scissors and snip these off. As you let your hair unravel, you can see that the split ends diminish greatly. There is very little chance of ruining your hair cut as you're basically just thinning out the ends.

Source: I learned this tip in boarding school when an opportunity for a hair cut was far and few between.

By abrupt_silence from Seattle, WA

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

How can I fix split ends except trimming? Please suggest some alternative solutions. Thank you.

By Ananya from Karachi

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I was a hairstylist for 35 years (as were both of my parents before me) and I can honestly tell you that there is no way to 'repair' split ends other than trimming them off. Anything else is just a smoke and mirror cover up fix because hair is a dead appendage. Spending a bunch of money or time trying to repair it would be like trying to put a piece of scotch tape on a piece of torn paper hoping it will look better and hoping it will not tear any further. Please know that split ends can continue splitting up the hair shaft so your best safe bet is gentle handling of your hair and trims as needed.

Read More Answers...

I am looking for a moisturizer for dry hair and split end treatment.

Christina from Jacksonville, TX

Moisturizer for Dry Hair and Split Ends

I have very dry hair, since childhood, and I like anything by Abba. The Moisture Sensation works for me, my stylist suggested it. You can always use Infusium Leave in Treatment for a quick fix. Really nice leave in, for this is Sebastian Formula 9. I have really "picky" dry curly, very long hair and I go through a lot of products before I find something that works. Anything that's a moisturizer is worth a try. Reconstructors are good too, but depending on which one, sometimes they just coat your hair with a type of wax, yum. But if you can handle it (and I can't) get them cut off. I guess they can travel up the hair shaft and do more damage. Don't cut them off yourself, though, because if you don't use very sharp sheers you can do more damage.

My sister was working towards her license, and she had a great technique if you can't handle cutting them all off. Take small sections of hair, twist them tight. The little ends that stick out of the twist, are usually dead, clip just those off. But don't cut chunks off, re-twist smaller sections, and what I'm talking about are single hairs that randomly stick out, there may be a lot of them, but they're one or two hairs not chunks of hair. The smaller and tighter the twist, the more of them will pop up. Dry hair, of course. You wouldn't believe how much hair I have, and for me this can be time consuming. If you do this with very sharp sheers, you'll see improvement. Then, moisturize the rest to prevent more. Hope that helps.(05/23/2007)

By MAnne

Moisturizer for Dry Hair and Split Ends

Apply Mayonnaise to entire head of hair and cover with plastic wrap leave on head for about an hour, wash and rinse well. This moisturizes well and gives your hair a nice shine. Mayo has natural proteins and fat that nourishes your hair. You can do this as often as needed. Olive oil is also great. (05/25/2007)

By Lisa

Moisturizer for Dry Hair and Split Ends

I have had that problem for years until I started using an organic shampoo and conditioner. I like Nourish Spa from Trader Joe's, but you would have to find what works best for your hair. Shampoo has a lot of chemicals in it and a lot of them are meant to dry out your hair so you spend money on deep conditioners and treatments and such. There is even a chemical that has been linked to thinning hair and baldness. I would even though it might sound painful, (I don't know how long your hair is) cut off everything that's ugly and start fresh with a good organic shampoo and conditioner and see if that helps. (05/26/2007)

By bambi2003

Moisturizer for Dry Hair and Split Ends

Being a frugal person, still have hairdresser's license, I'd use egg, Mayo, and olive oil. Just on the ends of the hair, applied with a 2 inch paint brush and let it sit about 3 hours, if you have the time. Check the harshness of your shampoo, and try to improve it with something that is PH balanced, even if cheap.
    If coloring, use Herbal Essences Shampoo. If bleaching, use above treatment all over, then carefully wash out for a long time. Also, check to see if your hair brush has rounded tips. If not, try to invest in a brush that does. At one time Stanley brushes had one. Give them a call. It will last a lifetime.

Also, after swimming, rinse your hair in a weak Apple Cider Vinegar solution, 1 tablespoon per
    16 oz. of water to "neutralize" the chlorine residue as often and quickly as possible. Don't sit in the sun when by the pool. Wear a fun hat, if possible. Don't swim at all if you bleach or frost/highlight heavily, or risk losing all hair. Conditioners don't work too well, only "coat" the hair, so try the above natural treatment. I believe you'll like the results. Trim off whatever split ends that you can and really analyze exactly what your hair is exposed to.

If you ride in a convertible, beware of sun damage. Wear a hat. If you use strong hair spray, search for
    something in a pump that is alcohol free. Rave use to make one, I believe and it is cheap, but may no longer. Go to beauty supply and search for one brand. Alcohol truly damages the hair and scalp.
    Avoid it and Chlorine. Good luck and God bless. (05/27/2007)

By Lynda

Moisturizer for Dry Hair and Split Ends

I had a Sri lankan friend who swore by coconut oil. She would comb it gently into her hair at bed time, wrap a scarf around her head and wash it with normal shampoo in the morning. Her hair was long black and like silk. It could be just genes, but worth a try. (05/29/2007)

By cett

Moisturizer for Dry Hair and Split Ends

I have really dry hair (I use a flat iron every-day) I just get a conditioner that is for dry-damaged hair, put it on my head for twenty minutes before I shower and wrap it in a plastic bag. This way I can do other things. Then in the shower I rinse it out. I also use shampoo for "sensitive scalps", I find it has the most moisturizer. (05/30/2007)

Moisturizer for Dry Hair and Split Ends

I had really dry and bad hair with split ends, but I started sleeping with the conditioner. I would put some at night, tie it in a bun and when I would wake up I would wash my hair with shampoo and it would be very silky and beautiful. (11/06/2007)

By cuca

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
    Health & Beauty Beauty Hair Tips DamagedDecember 3, 2012
    Split Pea Soup in White Bowl
    Split Pea Soup Recipes
    Split Tree
    Saving a Split Tree
    Banana Split
    Making a Banana Split
    © 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on April 26, 2016 at 1:58:44 PM on 10.0.0.211 in 257 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.