Cause of Hair Loss After Perm

Category Damaged
Hair permanents can damage hair if not done properly. This is a guide about cause of hair loss after perm.

I had a perm done at Walmart about 1 month ago. Apparently it was not one of my better choices. About a week after the perm I began to lose my hair. Every day after brushing my hair, there is, what I think is a significantly greater than "normal" amount of hair in my brush. I have about 60/40 graying hair and it has always been thin and fine at it's best. Of course, it is thinning most in the top front where it's the first thing you see when you look at me. I don't know how to tell if it's just breaking off or it's coming out at the roots.

I have tried OTC name brand conditioners. There seems to be no difference in the hair loss whether I blow it dry or let it air dry. It seems to me that the issue is my scalp, rather than hair breakage, but I could be wrong. I really can't tell when looking at what has been in my brush. I'm wondering if, at this point, I should consult a doctor. Would an allergist, dermatologist, or a family practice physician be appropriate? Should I continue with leave-in conditioner? Help!

Answers

Best Answer

I am so sorry this has happened. The person who did the perm on your hair has damaged your hair by leaving it in too long. I would suggest that you go and see a doctor for this.

They might give you some advice or special medication to help out. You could have been allergic to the products she used on your perm. There are many different ones on the market and this one wasn't right for you.

I permed my hair 2 weeks ago and it's falling out really badly. Is there anything to use on my hair so it won't all fall out? I've deep conditioned and used a hot oil treatment, but it just keeps shedding.

By Courtney

Answers

Best Answer

Stop using so much stuff on your hair. Conditioner alone will make your hair fall out. I used to do all the stuff you are doing and my hair had one problem after another. I went through a period of unemployment and left my hair alone, and gradually it returned to it's natural color, it's natural shine and it turned out I had a naturalslight wave. That was 1994.

I am now 70. Yes my hair is thinner but it's shiny, slightly longer than shoulder length and I like it more than I ever did during those tinkering years. I wash it every other time with a warm water rinse of water and a tablespoon of baking soda, followed by rinsing. I use inexpensive shampoos alternately with NO conditioner. If I want a curl or wave, I twist and pin it in a bun while barely damp, and let it loose after a couple of hours.

I do not wash my hair very often, maybe every 10 days. Just brushing it does it. I use a soft brush, a Fuller Brush.

Best Answer

There is nothing you can do but wait for it to grow back. Apparently it broke either because you wound it to tight, or the rubber band broke it because your hair was either thin, weak, or already damaged from hair products such as some artificial color, or lots of sun damage.

So, what I am trying to say is that your hair is breaking and the loss isn't coming from the hair follicle. All you can do is wait for it to grow out, and don't put anything on your hair with chemicals. Conditioner and shampoo won't hurt your hair though.