Remedy for Hair Damaged By Relaxer

Category Damaged
The chemicals in a hair relaxer can sometimes do damage to your hair. This is a guide about remedy for hair damaged by relaxer.

I used a relaxer for my natural hair. My hair is now hard and breaks when combed.

Answers

Best Answer

There are a bunch of natural ways to condition, but the trick is to handle your hair as little as possible.

One friend swears by using a few tablespoons of coconut oil from the grocery store, wrapping her hair in plastic wrap and sleeping with a shower cap over the whole mix. Then she (gently) washes it out in the morning. Another likes olive oil and mashed avocado...same deal...mixes it up, slathers it in and lets it sit overnight.

Personally, I don't want to sleep with food....so I would just leave it go and let it heal on its own...but this is from someone who has no courage to try things on her hair. I just live vicariously through my hair empowered friends!

Good luck!! Hope it heals quickly!!!

About 3 weeks ago I put a relaxer in my hair (big mistake). My hair was bleached at the time and I had a color over the bleach. The relaxer burned my hair horribly. I got all the burned hair cut off, so much that I can't even put my hair in a ponytail. If I want to pull it up I have to use bobby pins. I got as much of the dead, burnt hair cut as possible and now three weeks later, I was washing my hair with some Dr. Miracle's conditioning shampoo and more of my hair falls out. I'm at a lost here. If anybody out there has any good remedies or ways to get my hair back healthy please help.

By LaToya O.

Answers

Best Answer

Get some organic coconut oil at your health food store. Some supermarkets carry it also. Before you go to bed, put coconut oil on your scalp and massage gently massage on through your hair. You do not need a lot, just enough to cover each strand. Cover with plastic cap and leave on overnight. Shampoo in the morning, good luck. Cathy from MA

I've recently cut my 4c hair and decided to texturize it to get curls. I went to the hairdresser to texurize it and after putting on the texturizer and waiting for at least 4-5 minutes, he rinsed it off. It was shocking that the texturizer didn't burn.

The end results were horrible. My hair looked dry and brittle. He tried putting eco styling gel in my hair, but it was far from curly. My hair twisted and made little spikes instead of curls and looked ugly. The hairdresser decided to put in another texturizer, hoping the other one would work. The second time he tried to texturize it, it burned tremendously. He left it for 2-3 minutes before washing it out. There wasn't much of an improvement.

I just wanted to know how to solve this problem because my parents are against cutting my hair, but it looks like a mess in my eyes. They reassured me that it would get better and curl in due time, but I would like another, more experienced opinion on the matter. Is there anyway to get the curls I want from this mess without cutting my hair? BTW. I dyed my hair green after, I hope it won't affect anything.

Answers

Go back to the salon and ask for the owner. Ask for a refund or to have it fixed. Do not dye your hair or do any further chemical treatments.

Yikes. You had a bad experience all around.

Right now your hair needs to heal and be handled as little as possible. Usually I suggest all natural masks, but I think you will need a deep condition oil treatment to get you on the road to recovery.

If you have a beauty school nearby, see if they sell their best product and follow the directions to a t.

You may be better off cutting some of the damage off even though family is against it, just to help it heal by removing the weight pulling it down.

Try to find style that has minimum impact, like using a loose head band or just a simple down style. No bands, clips or curlers or even bliw dryer until it is less brittle.

Good luck.

This is horrible. Something went wrong and the person shouldn't have put more chemicals in your hair after the first ones didn't take. I'd go speak to the owner of the shop and show them what happened. If they won't give you back your money they will need to give you some really good hair care products that you can use at home to repair the damage they have done.

I am hoping for some help. I got a relaxer done at a teaching salon many years ago, and it wasn't completely washed out of the top of the back of my head. I didn't realize that this was the case until my hair had fallen out over the course of a week and I had basically a bald spot. My hair has grown back, but now it is completely different from the rest of my hair, but only in that section which is extremely frizzy, and it doesn't grow as fast as the rest of my hair.

As a result, I have basically had a 'shelf-like' appearance to the back of my head, and it is constantly irritated. I've now cut the back of my hair short to try to even it out, to no avail-the 'shelf' is still there. The hair below it hangs down, and even though I made it the same length, it won't blend. Can you please tell me some home and salon remedies that can possibly restore my scalp and hair?

Answers

I'm so sorry this happened to you, though it is fortunate that it DID grow back.

I hear good things about hair growing back stronger and thicker by using a cayenne/oil treatment. Here is a video that describes the process youtu.be/QaHi1Kk7ai8

Olive oil that is heated and applied to the scalp gives good results.

How can I soften brittle edges from using a relaxer?

By nb