Remedy for Hair Damaged By Relaxer

Category Damaged
The chemicals in a hair relaxer can sometimes do damage to your hair. This is a page about remedy for hair damaged by relaxer.

I used a relaxer for my natural hair. My hair is now hard and breaks when combed.

Answers

Best Answer

There are a bunch of natural ways to condition, but the trick is to handle your hair as little as possible.

One friend swears by using a few tablespoons of coconut oil from the grocery store, wrapping her hair in plastic wrap and sleeping with a shower cap over the whole mix. Then she (gently) washes it out in the morning. Another likes olive oil and mashed avocado...same deal...mixes it up, slathers it in and lets it sit overnight.

Personally, I don't want to sleep with food....so I would just leave it go and let it heal on its own...but this is from someone who has no courage to try things on her hair. I just live vicariously through my hair empowered friends!

Good luck!! Hope it heals quickly!!!

About 3 weeks ago I put a relaxer in my hair (big mistake). My hair was bleached at the time and I had a color over the bleach. The relaxer burned my hair horribly. I got all the burned hair cut off, so much that I can't even put my hair in a ponytail. If I want to pull it up I have to use bobby pins. I got as much of the dead, burnt hair cut as possible and now three weeks later, I was washing my hair with some Dr. Miracle's conditioning shampoo and more of my hair falls out. I'm at a lost here. If anybody out there has any good remedies or ways to get my hair back healthy please help.

By LaToya O.

Answers

Best Answer

Get some organic coconut oil at your health food store. Some supermarkets carry it also. Before you go to bed, put coconut oil on your scalp and massage gently massage on through your hair. You do not need a lot, just enough to cover each strand. Cover with plastic cap and leave on overnight. Shampoo in the morning, good luck. Cathy from MA

I'm a dude and I let my mom put relaxer on just the top of my hair (not sides) and it was a big amount that it burnt my hair to the point I had pain just combing it regularly. Then I realized it stopped growing. The top of my hair looked the same for about 10 months.

Between that time I kept getting fades and I didn't cut the top of my head a bit because it wasn't growing. So after 10 months of just getting fades I decided to shave my head completely bald and start from 0. It finally started to grow until I started wearing tight hats 24/7. And now I am back to where I started with the same exact problem. Can someone tell me what I should do? I really don't wanna shave my head again nor get fades. I just wanna grow my hair like a normal person. If anyone can help I would appreciate it.

Answers

You might have damaged your scalp, and that is why the hair is not growing. I would see a dermatologist if I were you.

You have used a lot of products and worn tight hats on your head. This is not good for scalp OR hair health.

Please check with your doctor and ask if you need a dermatologist. It sounds like you have a health issue happening.

Prayers for healing! Post back what the doctor says.

It sounds like your mom burned the top of your scalp when she put on he relaxer. I would go see a doctor and see if he can offer you some type of shampoo or cream you can use. If your hair was growing back before you started to wear hats then stop wearing them and allow your scalp to breath and your hair to grow again.

Many hair relaxers contain (or did contain) sodium hydroxide which is lye. It is also found in depilatories, in a more concentrated strength. This could burn your scalp under certain circumstances. Other ingredients in other relaxers can do the same.

You should know that the hair you see emerging from the scalp is dead. Only deeper within the scalp at the hair bulb (root) is any part of the hair alive. I very seriously doubt you did any damage to the reproductive part of your hair system.

A first degree burn should have no effect on the hair bulb. Only a second or third degree burn would do this. I'm sure you did not receive second and third degree burns to the scalp. You would have sought help in an emergency room. I don't think the relaxer had any effect on your ability to grow hair on the top of your scalp.

I doubt the wearing a tight hat 24/7 had any effect on your hair growth one way or the other. My professor was from the old school and taught the wearing of hats continuously was a contributor to baldness. That is not true. Except for the occasional ball cap, for decades most men have stopped wearing hats. Their balding rate remains the same.

Here, again, I'm sure the shaving of your scalp had no effect on the returning growth nor the hat reversing that growth. If you're sure it did, your best recourse would be to shave your head again and then not wear a hat after the hair begins to grow. What do you have to lose except a near bald pate?

If your scalp condition remained unchanged for 10 months, I seriously believe it would be a waste of money for you to see a dermatologist. However, if you could convince him/her shaving your scalp initiated hair growth after a 10 month cessation, he might consult with his peers to see if they think your case was worthy of further investigation. The results of such an investigation might make you a wealthy man, indeed.

My mum has put relaxer on my hair and it became damaged. I have short hair in the back and mid long in the front.

I bought Cantu argan oil cream to see it if it will fix the damage, but I am not sure what should I do?

Answers

Deep-condition your hair weekly with this oil. Try to avoid heat and chemicals until your hair recovers

You can use the Cantu argan oil cream. Be very careful to handle your hair gently and as little as possible and don't use any chemicals (hair spray etc.). Also avoid rubber bands (even coated)/headbands etc.

Years ago, when I had long hair, I tried everything to heal the split ends, but quite honestly, the only thing that helped was cutting them off. Think of it this way--it's just hair and it will grow out, so why not get a haircut and cut off the damage.

I have curly hair, too, and back then I tried everything, including ironing it, to straighten it. I have finally learned to live with it, but one thing I found, surprisingly, was when I used a curling iron to give me the side back flips that were so popular in the late 70s, the curling iron would straighten my hair.

It might not work for everyone, but it might be worth trying.

I'd trim off as much as possible whilst still keeping your style, and using the treatment weekly. Don't use a hairdryer or any heating tools

I've recently cut my 4c hair and decided to texturize it to get curls. I went to the hairdresser to texurize it and after putting on the texturizer and waiting for at least 4-5 minutes, he rinsed it off. It was shocking that the texturizer didn't burn.

The end results were horrible. My hair looked dry and brittle. He tried putting eco styling gel in my hair, but it was far from curly. My hair twisted and made little spikes instead of curls and looked ugly. The hairdresser decided to put in another texturizer, hoping the other one would work. The second time he tried to texturize it, it burned tremendously. He left it for 2-3 minutes before washing it out. There wasn't much of an improvement.

I just wanted to know how to solve this problem because my parents are against cutting my hair, but it looks like a mess in my eyes. They reassured me that it would get better and curl in due time, but I would like another, more experienced opinion on the matter. Is there anyway to get the curls I want from this mess without cutting my hair? BTW. I dyed my hair green after, I hope it won't affect anything.

Answers

Go back to the salon and ask for the owner. Ask for a refund or to have it fixed. Do not dye your hair or do any further chemical treatments.

Yikes. You had a bad experience all around.

Right now your hair needs to heal and be handled as little as possible. Usually I suggest all natural masks, but I think you will need a deep condition oil treatment to get you on the road to recovery.

If you have a beauty school nearby, see if they sell their best product and follow the directions to a t.

You may be better off cutting some of the damage off even though family is against it, just to help it heal by removing the weight pulling it down.

Try to find style that has minimum impact, like using a loose head band or just a simple down style. No bands, clips or curlers or even bliw dryer until it is less brittle.

Good luck.

This is horrible. Something went wrong and the person shouldn't have put more chemicals in your hair after the first ones didn't take. I'd go speak to the owner of the shop and show them what happened. If they won't give you back your money they will need to give you some really good hair care products that you can use at home to repair the damage they have done.

I am hoping for some help. I got a relaxer done at a teaching salon many years ago, and it wasn't completely washed out of the top of the back of my head. I didn't realize that this was the case until my hair had fallen out over the course of a week and I had basically a bald spot. My hair has grown back, but now it is completely different from the rest of my hair, but only in that section which is extremely frizzy, and it doesn't grow as fast as the rest of my hair. As a result, I have basically had a 'shelf-like' appearance to the back of my head, and it is constantly irritated. I've now cut the back of my hair short to try to even it out, to no avail-the 'shelf' is still there. The hair below it hangs down, and even though I made it the same length, it won't blend. Can you please tell me some home and salon remedies that can possibly restore my scalp and hair?

Answers

I'm so sorry this happened to you, though it is fortunate that it DID grow back.

I hear good things about hair growing back stronger and thicker by using a cayenne/oil treatment. Here is a video that describes the process youtu.be/QaHi1Kk7ai8

Olive oil that is heated and applied to the scalp gives good results.

About a year ago I put a relaxer in my hair. And it was straight and it was soft. A relaxer has no lye in it meaning it's not permanent. My hair started to go back to normal. However, my hair was shorter than it was before I put the relaxer in. My hair was thick, and it had a mixture of curly hair and very nappy hair. The natural texture is gone. My hair is dried. I did everything I was supposed to do to maintain it. My edges are gone. My hair is ruined. The front of my hair is still somewhat straight. Like, when we put the relaxer in, we took it out and everything is okay. And now my hair is shorter than ever and I don't know at to do. I always had to very big puff balls and now it's too short for me to do anything with. Help me please!

Answers

Hair grows 1/2 inch a month, so the 6 inches of new hair should be virgin hair. Hair can change as we age or have illnesses. Have you changed your diet? Have you used heat tools on your hair? I dont think you can blame this on a relaxed treatment you had a long time ago.

How can I soften brittle edges from using a relaxer?

By nb

Health & Beauty Beauty Hair Tips DamagedAugust 13, 2016
🎃