Remedy for Hair Damaged By Relaxer

Category Damaged
The chemicals in a hair relaxer can sometimes do damage to your hair. This is a guide about remedy for hair damaged by relaxer.

About 3 weeks ago I put a relaxer in my hair (big mistake). My hair was bleached at the time and I had a color over the bleach. The relaxer burned my hair horribly. I got all the burned hair cut off, so much that I can't even put my hair in a ponytail. If I want to pull it up I have to use bobby pins. I got as much of the dead, burnt hair cut as possible and now three weeks later, I was washing my hair with some Dr. Miracle's conditioning shampoo and more of my hair falls out. I'm at a lost here. If anybody out there has any good remedies or ways to get my hair back healthy please help.

By LaToya O.

Answers

Best Answer

Get some organic coconut oil at your health food store. Some supermarkets carry it also. Before you go to bed, put coconut oil on your scalp and massage gently massage on through your hair. You do not need a lot, just enough to cover each strand. Cover with plastic cap and leave on overnight. Shampoo in the morning, good luck. Cathy from MA

I used a relaxer for my natural hair. My hair is now hard and breaks when combed.

Answers

The relaxer damaged your hair. Handle it as little as possible, and deep-condition it.

There are a bunch of natural ways to condition, but the trick is to handle your hair as little as possible.

One friend swears by using a few tablespoons of coconut oil from the grocery store, wrapping her hair in plastic wrap and sleeping with a shower cap over the whole mix. Then she (gently) washes it out in the morning. Another likes olive oil and mashed avocado...same deal...mixes it up, slathers it in and lets it sit overnight.

Personally, I don't want to sleep with food....so I would just leave it go and let it heal on its own...but this is from someone who has no courage to try things on her hair. I just live vicariously through my hair empowered friends!

Good luck!! Hope it heals quickly!!!

I very much urge you to try a product called Infusium. Forty years ago, I damaged my hair from a perm. I mean it killed my hair. No pick or brush would go through it. I discovered Infusium and I've used it several times through the years when my hair was damaged.

You can find it at Walmart, Target, and Walgreens, almost always on the bottom shelf - it's not a well-known product. This product is made for damaged hair and I have to tell you, it's really, really good. I do so hope this helps.

I am hoping for some help. I got a relaxer done at a teaching salon many years ago, and it wasn't completely washed out of the top of the back of my head. I didn't realize that this was the case until my hair had fallen out over the course of a week and I had basically a bald spot. My hair has grown back, but now it is completely different from the rest of my hair, but only in that section which is extremely frizzy, and it doesn't grow as fast as the rest of my hair.

As a result, I have basically had a 'shelf-like' appearance to the back of my head, and it is constantly irritated. I've now cut the back of my hair short to try to even it out, to no avail-the 'shelf' is still there. The hair below it hangs down, and even though I made it the same length, it won't blend. Can you please tell me some home and salon remedies that can possibly restore my scalp and hair?

Answers

I'm so sorry this happened to you, though it is fortunate that it DID grow back.

I hear good things about hair growing back stronger and thicker by using a cayenne/oil treatment. Here is a video that describes the process youtu.be/QaHi1Kk7ai8

Olive oil that is heated and applied to the scalp gives good results.

How can I soften brittle edges from using a relaxer?

By nb