Remedy for Hair Damaged By Relaxer

Category Damaged
The chemicals in a hair relaxer can sometimes do damage to your hair. This is a guide about remedy for hair damaged by relaxer.

About 3 weeks ago I put a relaxer in my hair (big mistake). My hair was bleached at the time and I had a color over the bleach. The relaxer burned my hair horribly. I got all the burned hair cut off, so much that I can't even put my hair in a ponytail. If I want to pull it up I have to use bobby pins. I got as much of the dead, burnt hair cut as possible and now three weeks later, I was washing my hair with some Dr. Miracle's conditioning shampoo and more of my hair falls out. I'm at a lost here. If anybody out there has any good remedies or ways to get my hair back healthy please help.

By LaToya O.

Best Answer

Get some organic coconut oil at your health food store. Some supermarkets carry it also. Before you go to bed, put coconut oil on your scalp and massage gently massage on through your hair. You do not need a lot, just enough to cover each strand. Cover with plastic cap and leave on overnight. Shampoo in the morning, good luck. Cathy from MA

I am hoping for some help. I got a relaxer done at a teaching salon many years ago, and it wasn't completely washed out of the top of the back of my head. I didn't realize that this was the case until my hair had fallen out over the course of a week and I had basically a bald spot. My hair has grown back, but now it is completely different from the rest of my hair, but only in that section which is extremely frizzy, and it doesn't grow as fast as the rest of my hair.

As a result, I have basically had a 'shelf-like' appearance to the back of my head, and it is constantly irritated. I've now cut the back of my hair short to try to even it out, to no avail-the 'shelf' is still there. The hair below it hangs down, and even though I made it the same length, it won't blend. Can you please tell me some home and salon remedies that can possibly restore my scalp and hair?

I'm so sorry this happened to you, though it is fortunate that it DID grow back.

I hear good things about hair growing back stronger and thicker by using a cayenne/oil treatment. Here is a video that describes the process

Olive oil that is heated and applied to the scalp gives good results.

How can I soften brittle edges from using a relaxer?

By nb