Using Coconut Oil for Damaged Hair

Category Damaged
This is a guide about using coconut oil for damaged hair. Coconut oil is a great moisturizer for hair, skin, and nails. A small amount goes a long way.

I love to use coconut oil on my long color treated blonde hair. I do not know how this treatment would work for other colors of color treated hair, but it did not fade my blonde color at all. It is also safe for non color treated hair.

I simply apply extra virgin coconut oil to my hair and leave it on for a while. I have left on for as little as a half hour to a few hours depending on how much time to have to let it soak in. You can even apply at night and sleep with a plastic shower cap on overnight for even better results. This may not be comfortable to some people, so I recommend at least letting it soak on your hair for 30 minutes.

If the coconut oil you buy is in more of a solid state rather than a liquid you can microwave the desired amount you wish to apply to your hair for about 10-15 seconds depending on how strong your microwave is. You just want it to be in a liquid state for ease of applying it. Rinse hair out well after, then shampoo and condition as normal.

I noticed a result using coconut oil on my very dry, damaged, color-treated blonde hair immediately. I also have found this to be cheaper than those expensive hair mask treatments you buy from the salon and with better results. Hope it works for you!

By Renea from Pittston Twp, PA

Top Comment

The best of the best. Coconut oil is the best of all moisturizers for skin, hair, nails and if you put it on your feet before bed, it is amazing. Chap disappears. Hands become soft.

I warm a small squirt bottle in the shower and apply all over my body for my old skin. I have long damaged hair that would be ripped out after shampoo. I now apply the coconut oil that has been softened in the shower and distribute through the ends a little at a time. A comb and brush go through easily. If I have a bit of a concentration it goes away with brushing. No fly-aways because of dry hair; no knots to rip out my damaged hair and shine at last.

The solid coconut oil can be dissolved easily if you use just a dab by putting it in your hand. Your body temperature melts it easily. No more expensive hand lotions, hair products and it is even healthy to eat. Google the benefits and you will be amazed.

Top Comment

Thank you SO much for your suggestion coconut oil! I tried it yesterday on "fried hair". Already almost back to normal.

I know it sounds a little unusual. At first when I heard of it I thought,''Gross, I don't want to put oil in my hair and then have greasy hair.'' Eventually though after hearing how great it was, I finally tried it. And it's awesome! Here's how it works: It's good for hair health, preventing split ends, and conditioning. It leaves your hair feeling healthier and softer than ever.

You'll want to use 1 to 2 TBS of organic extra virgin coconut oil (depending on how thick you're hair is). Next, leave in for 40 minutes to an hour. Or overnight for best results. Then just wash out, and enjoy healthy, silky soft hair. : )

Source: Pinterest

Top Comment

When I first heard about this, putting coconut oil in your hair, I thought it was gross too. But, I tried it anyway. I have been using coconut oil for almost 2 years now. I can really tell the difference when I do a overnight coconut oil treatment compared to never using it at all. I now use coconut oil on everything. I would recommend anyone to do a coconut oil hair treatment. Believe me, you will notice and like the difference.