Browsing: Remedies for a Dog's Bad Breath

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Remedies for a Dog's Bad Breath

Dogs can have problems with teeth and gums, or it can be a sign of another health issue. This guide is about remedies for a dog's bad breath.

Jack Russell Terrier with bad breath.
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

May 24, 2016 Flag

There has to be something for a dog's bad breath other than greenish and chews. And what can cause the bad breath other than teeth? Also what can I use to remove tartar from their teeth?

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

First of all, get the dog a dental checkup. If the dog has cavities you don't know about this will cause a smell and lead to bad teeth.

For plaque reduction use a spray like this one: http://smile.amazon.com/Arm-Hammer- ... ontrol/dp/B00EAMTFD2/?tag=thrif06-20

You can also get dog toothpaste and toothbrushes or an additive that goes in their water.

October 4, 2015 Flag

Anyone have any ideas as to what I can do for a puppy with stinky breath? I have a five month old Cocker and his breath stinks like anal glands. I brush his teeth at least every other day and am trying to do this more frequently. He does not have access to the litterbox and because I work from home and he's my shadow, I can safely say he's not pooping anywhere/eating stool. I live in an apartment, so he's not outside unless he's leashed, and because he'll grab everything, I'm super watchful as to what's on the ground so he doesn't eat something harmful or just plain gross.

He was just at the vet less than a week ago for a neuter and hernia repair, and had a full mouth check and cleaning while he was under due to a broken puppy tooth that needed to be pulled. There's no infection, abscess, something trapped in his teeth, and they did a full exam and bloodwork before putting him under. There's no apparent reason for the nasty breath, but it's raunchy.

It's been a long time since I had a puppy, so is this kind of normal for teething puppies? He has tips of some adult teeth starting to break through, so maybe he has ick-breath because of that? Are there any home remedies I can try to make his puppy smoochies a little less ripe?

Thanks in advance for any ideas!

I bet he has leaky anal glands. Possibly licks rear or anal gland leakage gets on bedding or what not and he licks it up? Or possibly tooth infection does he have some small teeth still in and bigger in same spot? Could be infected. At 5 months most dogs don't have stinky breath.

Read More Answers...

July 7, 2016 Flag

This is a guide about puppy with bad breath. Puppies can have very bad breath when they are quite young.

Yawning beagle next to man making a yucky face

November 15, 2010 Flag

I have a 11 year old miniature Dachshund and I have noticed that she has really bad breath that actually smells like her poop. I have also noticed that she sometime does eat her own poop.

I have asked a vet about it and they informed me that it is sometimes natural for some breeds to eat their own feces. I have tried giving her Milk Bones and brushing her teeth with doggie toothpaste, but it only works temporarily for a day or two.

My question is, are there any other home remedies to help her with her breath? I have heard from some people that garlic can help, but I have not tried it yet because I know that garlic is part of the onion family and onions are toxic to dogs. She also does not care for apples or carrots. Any other suggestions? Anything helps. Thanks.

By Anjelah from San Jose, CA

If any dog eats poop give them some pineapple when eating . For some reason pinapple in the poop dogs dont like the taste of it. This remedy has worked for me and many of my friends.

Read More Answers...

October 23, 2010 Flag

I have a 3 year old Chihuahua mix. We got her via a couple who found her in a orchard where we assume she had been dumped. She is a wonderful dog with a huge heart and tons of love to give.

My question is - are there any natural cures for bad breath? I had her fixed and got her shots within days of getting her. My vet has told me that her teeth are in good shape. She has the stinky breath. I used human tooth paste and it worked, but I then found out that this was poison to her. Thanks for your help.

By Virginia G. from Porterville, CA

Ive been desperately scouring the web for dog bad breath remedies. I recently viewed a segment on the Dr Oz show with the experts from VitaHound. I was unaware of the health ramifications a dog's poor oral health has on their physical condition. Our family has owned dogs for over 40 years and this is the first time I have been aware of these concerns, nevertheless I'm willing to clean our dog's teeth I just want to be doing it right.

Read More Answers...

August 20, 2013 Flag

Black and tan dog.I have 5 dogs that I got when they were puppies. No one wanted them, so my husband and I took them in. We do have a problem. Three of the dogs have stinky breath. I mean really putrid smelling.
Can anyone help my family of 7?
Thanks.

By Sherry H.

They made need some attention to their teeth - take them to the vet. He can remove any teeth that may have gone bad or they may have gum disease. This also needs to be checked by the vet.

Read More Answers...

December 8, 2014 Flag

I have a 1 year old Yorkie with really bad breath. What can I do about it? Please don't suggest brushing his teeth because it takes 2 of us to brush his teeth and I have been almost bitten by him by brushing his teeth.

By zan

Have you had his teeth examined by a vet? Many times bad breath signals an infected tooth.

Read More Answers...

February 17, 2011 Flag

Are there any natural ways to improve a dog's breath?

By Judster from Canton, OH

Carrots

Read More Answers...

February 1, 2011 Flag

Why does my dog have bad breath? It isn't the food he has. Could it be something else serious?

By Joyce from Ontario, Canada

More hugs to bonn7777 on the loss of your furbaby; Joyce, please get your boy in for a checkup. It could be as simple as dental problems/gum disease or symptomatic of much, much more. Often it is one of the early symptoms of something more serious--the sooner it's assessed, the better.

Read More Answers...

May 17, 2006 Flag

I have a 11 year old cocker who has very bad breath. I thought it was due to her getting older (never had a dog this old before) then today I lifted up her mouth to look at her teeth and they were very rotten and a lot of them were loose. I'm going to get her a vet appointment, but I was wondering what this could do to her health? It's sad when your close to your pet and you see things like this. My 7 year old daughter and myself started crying together when we thought something could happen.

Thanks for your help,
Christina from San Antonio, TX

I have the same problem with my manchester terrier. He goes to the vet on a regular schdule his whole life and I had to switched vet because I moved and I ask him about the breath problem and cleaning well he told me he is to old to be put under and get his teeth cleaned well now it's been 6 months and i noticed that his gums and teeth are very bad so my questions is what can you do to make him more comfortable eating I know to give him soft food but it has to be painful with a bad tooth .

Read More Answers...
Load More
Pets Dogs HealthMay 1, 2013
Credit history document.
Getting a Loan With Bad Credit
Woman with bad breath covering her mouth.
Getting Rid of Garlic Breath
unwrapped gum on top of several foil wrapped pieces
Uses for Chewing Gum
Photo of woman covering her mouth with her turtle nick.
Remedies for Bad Breath
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on August 21, 2016 at 6:30:30 PM on 10.0.2.241 in 5 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.