Remedies for a Dog's Bad Breath

Dogs can have problems with teeth and gums, or it can be a sign of another health issue. This guide is about remedies for a dog's bad breath.

Jack Russell Terrier with bad breath.
Filter Sort

Question: Older Dog With Bad Teeth

I have a 11 year old cocker who has very bad breath. I thought it was due to her getting older (never had a dog this old before) then today I lifted up her mouth to look at her teeth and they were very rotten and a lot of them were loose. I'm going to get her a vet appointment, but I was wondering what this could do to her health? It's sad when your close to your pet and you see things like this. My 7 year old daughter and myself started crying together when we thought something could happen.

Thanks for your help,
Christina from San Antonio, TX

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

I have the same problem with my manchester terrier. He goes to the vet on a regular schdule his whole life and I had to switched vet because I moved and I ask him about the breath problem and cleaning well he told me he is to old to be put under and get his teeth cleaned well now it's been 6 months and i noticed that his gums and teeth are very bad so my questions is what can you do to make him more comfortable eating I know to give him soft food but it has to be painful with a bad tooth .

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Getting Rid of a Dog's Bad Breath

By anjelah monrreal 1

I have a 11 year old miniature Dachshund and I have noticed that she has really bad breath that actually smells like her poop. I have also noticed that she sometime does eat her own poop.

I have asked a vet about it and they informed me that it is sometimes natural for some breeds to eat their own feces. I have tried giving her Milk Bones and brushing her teeth with doggie toothpaste, but it only works temporarily for a day or two.

My question is, are there any other home remedies to help her with her breath? I have heard from some people that garlic can help, but I have not tried it yet because I know that garlic is part of the onion family and onions are toxic to dogs. She also does not care for apples or carrots. Any other suggestions? Anything helps. Thanks.

By Anjelah from San Jose, CA

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Connie Rohrer P. 26 15 Flag

I agree with having a dental done, I too work as a dog Groomer at a vet hospital and I know that is a big problem having tartar build up it can also cause other health risks. Good luck. Groomer

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Cure for Bad Dog Breath

By Virginia G. 9 12

I have a 3 year old Chihuahua mix. We got her via a couple who found her in a orchard where we assume she had been dumped. She is a wonderful dog with a huge heart and tons of love to give.

My question is - are there any natural cures for bad breath? I had her fixed and got her shots within days of getting her. My vet has told me that her teeth are in good shape. She has the stinky breath. I used human tooth paste and it worked, but I then found out that this was poison to her. Thanks for your help.

By Virginia G. from Porterville, CA

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By SandraT 1 Flag

Ive been desperately scouring the web for dog bad breath remedies. I recently viewed a segment on the Dr Oz show with the experts from VitaHound. I was unaware of the health ramifications a dog's poor oral health has on their physical condition. Our family has owned dogs for over 40 years and this is the first time I have been aware of these concerns, nevertheless I'm willing to clean our dog's teeth I just want to be doing it right.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: What Causes Bad Breath in Dogs?

By Joyce 5 13

Why does my dog have bad breath? It isn't the food he has. Could it be something else serious?

By Joyce from Ontario, Canada

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Candy Killion 10 410 Flag

More hugs to bonn7777 on the loss of your furbaby; Joyce, please get your boy in for a checkup. It could be as simple as dental problems/gum disease or symptomatic of much, much more. Often it is one of the early symptoms of something more serious--the sooner it's assessed, the better.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Natural Ways to Freshen Dog's Breath

By Judster 1

Are there any natural ways to improve a dog's breath?

By Judster from Canton, OH

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Sherri 10 551 Flag

The main cause of bad breath in dog's is dental disease. Please take your fur baby to his Vet for an exam, he might need his teeth cleaned. Good luck,

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Shih Tzu Has Bad Breath

By bonnie 10 36

My Shih Tzu has bad breath. Is that common? I would like to know what to do about it. It does not bother me but my daughter and son cannot stand it.

By Bird Watcher from Niagara Falls, Canada

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By ilovesophie 20 164 Flag

Many times bad breath indicates an infected tooth so you should take your dog to your vet and have teeth checked.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Puppy With Smelly Breath

By Karmastrophic 2

Anyone have any ideas as to what I can do for a puppy with stinky breath? I have a five month old Cocker and his breath stinks like anal glands. I brush his teeth at least every other day and am trying to do this more frequently. He does not have access to the litterbox and because I work from home and he's my shadow, I can safely say he's not pooping anywhere/eating stool. I live in an apartment, so he's not outside unless he's leashed, and because he'll grab everything, I'm super watchful as to what's on the ground so he doesn't eat something harmful or just plain gross.

He was just at the vet less than a week ago for a neuter and hernia repair, and had a full mouth check and cleaning while he was under due to a broken puppy tooth that needed to be pulled. There's no infection, abscess, something trapped in his teeth, and they did a full exam and bloodwork before putting him under. There's no apparent reason for the nasty breath, but it's raunchy.

It's been a long time since I had a puppy, so is this kind of normal for teething puppies? He has tips of some adult teeth starting to break through, so maybe he has ick-breath because of that? Are there any home remedies I can try to make his puppy smoochies a little less ripe?

Thanks in advance for any ideas!

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Abigail A. 15 1,032 Flag

The problem may be in your dog's digestive system. I believe the dog is not digesting his food properly and food is rotting in his gut.

Switch to a high-quality food with probiotics such as Canidae.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Remedy for Dog Breath

By TigerEyes 10 36

Black and tan dog.I have 5 dogs that I got when they were puppies. No one wanted them, so my husband and I took them in. We do have a problem. Three of the dogs have stinky breath. I mean really putrid smelling.
    Can anyone help my family of 7?
    Thanks.

By Sherry H.

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By heather inwood 13 229 Flag

They made need some attention to their teeth - take them to the vet. He can remove any teeth that may have gone bad or they may have gum disease. This also needs to be checked by the vet.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: My Dog Has Bad Breath

By missy 1

What can I give my dog for bad breath?

By missy from Navasota, TX

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Steven 2 Flag

I found an interesting thing online that cured my dogs bad breath. I have a German Shepherd, and well he eats healthy. Plaque attack was recommended by my vet due to its ingredients.

http://as-seen-on-tv-promotions.com/pet-care/plaque-attack-182

I only give it to him about once a week now. and my wife really likes the fact that he has better breath. Id give that a shot.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Dog Has Bad Breath

I have a 1 year old Yorkie with really bad breath. What can I do about it? Please don't suggest brushing his teeth because it takes 2 of us to brush his teeth and I have been almost bitten by him by brushing his teeth.

By zan

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By ilovesophie 20 164 Flag

Have you had his teeth examined by a vet? Many times bad breath signals an infected tooth.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Remedy for Bad Dog Breath

We have a mixed small breed dog who is 13 yrs old. His teeth were bad when we got him and he will not let us anywhere his mouth. His breath is horrible and he has to eat soft food because his teeth are so bad. We tried the stuff that you spray in his mouth with no results. Does anybody know of anything that will help his breath or his teeth. The vet has said he is too old and fragile to go under to get his teeth cleaned.

By Jan

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Ce 4 119 Flag

I give my two girls Pro Den Plaque Off. Both are 9 years old.

I get it from www.seniorpetproducts.com

This stuff works great to remove the plaque and bad breath.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Tip: Product Review: Plaque Off Animal for Dog's Bad Breath

By Ce 4 119

I have used an excellent product by ProDen called "Plaque Off Animal". It gets rid of the tartar and plaque which causes bad breath. I just add a tiny scoop, which comes with the product, to your pet's food every day. You can go to www.international-dental.com or go to www.seniorpetproducts.com.

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Natural Remedies for Dog's Bad Breath

By bettyj1000 1

We are organic and natural product users. We have 3 dogs and their breath smells awful. Are there any natural remedies or does anyone know what we can do? We don't want to give them chemicals.
      Thanks.

By bettyj1000

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By NEWFIEGIRL 8 421 Flag

Your dog's bad breath could be from their teeth or any number of problems. Please talk to your Veterinarian and good luck.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Dog with Lymphoma Has Bad Breath

By LEONA LABINE 46 398

I have a little dog, part Chihuahua and part Pomeranian. He is 7 and was diagnosed with lymphoma (leukemia) in May. The last month his breath started to smell so bad, really bad. I have tried the Denta bones, but they don't seem to help. Any suggestions?

By pico from St. Paul, AB

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By LEONA LABINE 46 398 Flag

He's been to the vet, he is losing his teeth. I love, love, love him but the smell is awful. Both of us need a solution.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Puppy With Bad Breath

By Christy 1

How can I cure bad puppy breath? I would like something that is cheap or free.

By Christy from IN

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Angie 3 Flag

Hi, when a pup has bad breath it's usually because he has worms (usually a smokey kind of smell). I find Panacur 10% liquid is the best, you can find this cheaper then the vets at caninie chemist, or he could have a little infection. :-)

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Remedy for Dog Breath

By c.a.rodriquez5780@gmail.com 2

What a good home remedy for dog breath?

By C.A.Rodriquez from Hutchinson, KS

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Pets Dogs HealthMay 1, 2013
      ThriftyFun on Facebook ThriftyFun on Pinterest Enter a Contest Free Newsletters Ask a Question Share a Post
      Dog and Vacuum
      Home Remedies for Fleas
      Stinky Feet on Hardwood Floor
      Remedies for Stinky Feet
      Woman with bad breath covering her mouth.
      Getting Rid of Garlic Breath
      Photo of woman covering her mouth with her turtle nick.
      Remedies for Bad Breath
      © 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 6, 2016 at 8:27:23 AM on 10.0.1.191 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.

All ArticlesSolutionsQuestions
      NewestOldestMost HelpfulLeast HelpfulMost AnswersFewest AnswersBest AnswersRelevance
      Site MenuShare a PostContestsAsk a QuestionAbout ThriftyFun
      BrowseAll By DateAll GuidesAll QuestionsAll VideosRecent FeedbackLonely Questions
      CategoriesBetter LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness & LegalConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood & RecipesGarage SalesHealth & BeautyHolidays & PartiesHome & GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsTravel & RecreationWeddings