Remedies for a Dog's Bad Breath

Dogs can have problems with teeth and gums, or it can be a sign of another health issue. This guide is about remedies for a dog's bad breath.

July 7, 2016 Flag

Yawning beagle next to man making a yucky face

CommentPin It!Was this helpful?Helpful? Yes

This is a guide about puppy with bad breath. Puppies can have very bad breath when they are quite young.

October 4, 2015 Flag

Anyone have any ideas as to what I can do for a puppy with stinky breath? I have a five month old Cocker and his breath stinks like anal glands. I brush his teeth at least every other day and am trying to do this more frequently. He does not have access to the litterbox and because I work from home and he's my shadow, I can safely say he's not pooping anywhere/eating stool. I live in an apartment, so he's not outside unless he's leashed, and because he'll grab everything, I'm super watchful as to what's on the ground so he doesn't eat something harmful or just plain gross.

He was just at the vet less than a week ago for a neuter and hernia repair, and had a full mouth check and cleaning while he was under due to a broken puppy tooth that needed to be pulled. There's no infection, abscess, something trapped in his teeth, and they did a full exam and bloodwork before putting him under. There's no apparent reason for the nasty breath, but it's raunchy.

It's been a long time since I had a puppy, so is this kind of normal for teething puppies? He has tips of some adult teeth starting to break through, so maybe he has ick-breath because of that? Are there any home remedies I can try to make his puppy smoochies a little less ripe?

Thanks in advance for any ideas!

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

There's something you should be able to get from your pet's vet to add to the drinking water that helps keep breath fresh.

The problem may be in your dog's digestive system. I believe the dog is not digesting his food properly and food is rotting in his gut.

Switch to a high-quality food with probiotics such as Canidae.

November 15, 2010 Flag

I have a 11 year old miniature Dachshund and I have noticed that she has really bad breath that actually smells like her poop. I have also noticed that she sometime does eat her own poop.

I have asked a vet about it and they informed me that it is sometimes natural for some breeds to eat their own feces. I have tried giving her Milk Bones and brushing her teeth with doggie toothpaste, but it only works temporarily for a day or two.

My question is, are there any other home remedies to help her with her breath? I have heard from some people that garlic can help, but I have not tried it yet because I know that garlic is part of the onion family and onions are toxic to dogs. She also does not care for apples or carrots. Any other suggestions? Anything helps. Thanks.

By Anjelah from San Jose, CA

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I also have mini Dachshunds and 11 years old is not exactly "ancient" for them or any other small size breed. Mine are 6 and 10 and both still extremely active. From what she posted, I'm glad I don't live anywhere near where she works, and even if I did I wouldn't use her clinic! You already said you had her checked by the vet and asked for his suggestions. And yes it is common for dogs to eat feces, their own or other's. Not just Dachsie's though, but any dog.

In the past few years I've been seeing lots of different products coming out that are supposed to make the feces taste bad to the dog and therefore make them not want to eat it. So far I haven't found one that works on mine. Garlic is a good thing for dogs, but not to keep them from eating feces. I've had many vets recommend this to me, not just one. And have also done research and found there is nothing harmful in it for dogs as long as you don't give them too much. On the contrary, it is good for repelling fleas and ticks. I live in the southeast and fleas and ticks here are really bad, especially in summer. I get the garlic pills at Wal Mart and feed mine 1/2 a garlic pill daily. If you only have one dog you can sprinkle regular garlic powder on her food. But since I have two, one being a "pig" and the other not so much, this didn't work. So I give them the pills. Works great for keeping fleas, ticks and mosquitoes away from them. Living in the southeast my husband and I also eat a lot of garlic and it helps to keep those pesky things away from us too!

One thing, please don't use the cayenne pepper that one person suggested. Can you imagine? But there are different things you can try. I'm not suggesting any because I'm still searching too. Good luck! And if you find one that works I'd sure appreciate seeing a post about it!

I agree with having a dental done, I too work as a dog Groomer at a vet hospital and I know that is a big problem having tartar build up it can also cause other health risks. Good luck. Groomer

October 23, 2010 Flag

I have a 3 year old Chihuahua mix. We got her via a couple who found her in a orchard where we assume she had been dumped. She is a wonderful dog with a huge heart and tons of love to give.

My question is - are there any natural cures for bad breath? I had her fixed and got her shots within days of getting her. My vet has told me that her teeth are in good shape. She has the stinky breath. I used human tooth paste and it worked, but I then found out that this was poison to her. Thanks for your help.

By Virginia G. from Porterville, CA

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

VitaHound's research reports that natural compounds are highly effective for cleaning dog teeth. Advanced formulations utilize grap seed extract (GSE) and neem, these are the 2 most common ingredients in premium products designed to be bad dog breath remedies. The best approach to canine oral care is to apply products that kill off harmful bacteria without affecting the healthy bacteria found in the oral flora of dogs. Regular use of these products allows the beneficial bacteria to crowd out the damaging bacteria that is the source of plague on a dog's teeth and gums.

I finally discovered a remedy for bad breath in dogs, and the source was the guys at VitaHound. I notice their post and advice on substances that are effective at treating a dog's oral health. A few months ago I Googled cleaning dog teeth and their site appeared at the top, a quick review of their online library at VitaHound.com was easy and I found info on the causes and remedies for treating a dog's bad breath. Their organization sells Petzlife oral care sprays and gels and their research reported their ingredients really work. Our family's dog Duke is now plaque and tarter free, further more his dog breath is permanently gone.

May 24, 2016 Flag

There has to be something for a dog's bad breath other than greenish and chews. And what can cause the bad breath other than teeth? Also what can I use to remove tartar from their teeth?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

First of all, get the dog a dental checkup. If the dog has cavities you don't know about this will cause a smell and lead to bad teeth.

For plaque reduction use a spray like this one: http://smile.am  =dog+tooth+spray

You can also get dog toothpaste and toothbrushes or an additive that goes in their water.

August 20, 2013 Flag

I have 5 dogs that I got when they were puppies. No one wanted them, so my husband and I took them in. We do have a problem. Three of the dogs have stinky breath. I mean really putrid smelling.
Can anyone help my family of 7?
Thanks.

By Sherry H.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Yes, the person is called a Veterinarian.

They made need some attention to their teeth - take them to the vet. He can remove any teeth that may have gone bad or they may have gum disease. This also needs to be checked by the vet.

December 8, 2014 Flag

I have a 1 year old Yorkie with really bad breath. What can I do about it? Please don't suggest brushing his teeth because it takes 2 of us to brush his teeth and I have been almost bitten by him by brushing his teeth.

By zan

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Get the germ killing spray. You just spray it into his mouth to help kill plaque and germs. You should also try a powder that you put in his food.

Have you had his teeth examined by a vet? Many times bad breath signals an infected tooth.

February 17, 2011 Flag

Are there any natural ways to improve a dog's breath?

By Judster from Canton, OH

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Dogs who chew on marrow bones regularly never have bad breath unless they actually have tooth decay. Chewing on marrow bones removes all plaque and tartar and leaves dogs' teeth very clean.

The main cause of bad breath in dog's is dental disease. Please take your fur baby to his Vet for an exam, he might need his teeth cleaned. Good luck,

February 1, 2011 Flag

Why does my dog have bad breath? It isn't the food he has. Could it be something else serious?

By Joyce from Ontario, Canada

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

There are several things that may cause bad breath in your dog, their food, tartar buildup on the teeth. We found out sadly also that a dog can have diabetes. There are other signs of diabetes besides the bad breath, drinking large amounts of water, wanting to eat as soon as they have been fed as their appetite can not be satisfied. There can be other serious complications if the disease if not treated. If possible, I suggest that you take your beloved pet to the vet and let him/her put your mind at ease. We did not act soon enough and lost a beautiful Golden Retriever.

Bonn777, I'm so sorry for your loss. Thank you for sharing this information with other members.

May 17, 2006 Flag

I have a 11 year old cocker who has very bad breath. I thought it was due to her getting older (never had a dog this old before) then today I lifted up her mouth to look at her teeth and they were very rotten and a lot of them were loose. I'm going to get her a vet appointment, but I was wondering what this could do to her health? It's sad when your close to your pet and you see things like this. My 7 year old daughter and myself started crying together when we thought something could happen.

Thanks for your help,
Christina from San Antonio, TX

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Not being mean, but-didn't you ever check before? It's something you need to keep up on regularly by brushing their teeth, giving them hard treats and food, things like that. It's part of being a responsible pet owner.

i have an 11 year old blind cocker with very bad breath and i also just realized his teeth are rotting away.

He seems to eat the hard food just fine, but it looks as though everyone thinks he should have soft food and go to the vet. It is heartbreaking to see them get old. thanks for the advice.

April 28, 2013 Flag

We are organic and natural product users. We have 3 dogs and their breath smells awful. Are there any natural remedies or does anyone know what we can do? We don't want to give them chemicals.
Thanks.

By bettyj1000

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Your dog's bad breath could be from their teeth or any number of problems. Please talk to your Veterinarian and good luck.

July 20, 2013 Flag

We have a mixed small breed dog who is 13 yrs old. His teeth were bad when we got him and he will not let us anywhere his mouth. His breath is horrible and he has to eat soft food because his teeth are so bad. We tried the stuff that you spray in his mouth with no results. Does anybody know of anything that will help his breath or his teeth. The vet has said he is too old and fragile to go under to get his teeth cleaned.

By Jan

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

What I use for my two girls, both are 9 years old, is ProDen Plaque Off Animal. It really helps remove the plaque and bad breath. All you need is one tiny scoop a day. Scooper is included. I get mine from www.seniorpetproducts.com/

Hope this helps you as much as it has helped me.

I give my two girls Pro Den Plaque Off. Both are 9 years old.

I get it from www.seniorpetproducts.com

This stuff works great to remove the plaque and bad breath.

January 27, 2011 Flag

What can I give my dog for bad breath?

By missy from Navasota, TX

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Dogs that chew on real marrow bones rarely have bad breath because their teeth are so clean. Marrow bones are easier and usually less expensive to find in stores that specialize in meats than you will find int he supermarket.

He should be seen by a vet because he may have infected gums. In the meantime, start brushing his teeth every day. If he doesn't like it at first, put a small amount of doggie toothpaste on the brush and have him lick it and then try to get just a few teeth in front. Each day start with letting him lick it and then try to brush further back on each side, top and bottom, including the gums. Hopefully you can clean the plaque off of his teeth and get his gums healthy. That may clear up the bad breath and make him healthier all at the same time. Good Luck!

April 23, 2009 Flag

My Shih Tzu has bad breath. Is that common? I would like to know what to do about it. It does not bother me but my daughter and son cannot stand it.

By Bird Watcher from Niagara Falls, Canada

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Also make sure the hair on his face is clean too. I also have a a shih tzu and when I keep his face clean it seems to help. Hope this helps :)

You probably need to brush his teeth. You can get doggie toothpaste and brush and do it yourself or you can pay your vet to do a thorough job. I think it's easier if you start when they are puppies. Dogs need their teeth cleaned just as much as people do. Many people don't even know this as I didn't for many years until one of my dogs had a swollen face and an abcess. He ended up needing surgery and costing me plenty which could have been avoided by brushing his teeth regularly. I felt so badly for not knowing about brushing his teeth.

August 14, 2009 Flag

I have a little dog, part Chihuahua and part Pomeranian. He is 7 and was diagnosed with lymphoma (leukemia) in May. The last month his breath started to smell so bad, really bad. I have tried the Denta bones, but they don't seem to help. Any suggestions?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

August 17, 2013 Flag

What a good home remedy for dog breath?

By C.A.Rodriquez from Hutchinson, KS

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Load More
Pets Dogs HealthMay 1, 2013
Puppy With Bad Breath
Woman with bad breath covering her mouth.
Getting Rid of Garlic Breath
unwrapped gum on top of several foil wrapped pieces
Uses for Chewing Gum
Photo of woman covering her mouth with her turtle nick.
Remedies for Bad Breath
🐰
🍀
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 23, 2017 at 7:38:18 PM on 10.0.1.11 in 4 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.