Remedies for a Dog's Bad Breath

Dogs can have problems with teeth and gums, or it can be a sign of another health issue. This guide is about remedies for a dog's bad breath.

July 7, 2016 Flag

This is a guide about puppy with bad breath. Puppies can have very bad breath when they are quite young.

Yawning beagle next to man making a yucky face

October 4, 2015 Flag

Anyone have any ideas as to what I can do for a puppy with stinky breath? I have a five month old Cocker and his breath stinks like anal glands. I brush his teeth at least every other day and am trying to do this more frequently. He does not have access to the litterbox and because I work from home and he's my shadow, I can safely say he's not pooping anywhere/eating stool. I live in an apartment, so he's not outside unless he's leashed, and because he'll grab everything, I'm super watchful as to what's on the ground so he doesn't eat something harmful or just plain gross.

He was just at the vet less than a week ago for a neuter and hernia repair, and had a full mouth check and cleaning while he was under due to a broken puppy tooth that needed to be pulled. There's no infection, abscess, something trapped in his teeth, and they did a full exam and bloodwork before putting him under. There's no apparent reason for the nasty breath, but it's raunchy.

It's been a long time since I had a puppy, so is this kind of normal for teething puppies? He has tips of some adult teeth starting to break through, so maybe he has ick-breath because of that? Are there any home remedies I can try to make his puppy smoochies a little less ripe?

Thanks in advance for any ideas!

The problem may be in your dog's digestive system. I believe the dog is not digesting his food properly and food is rotting in his gut.

Switch to a high-quality food with probiotics such as Canidae.

May 24, 2016 Flag

There has to be something for a dog's bad breath other than greenish and chews. And what can cause the bad breath other than teeth? Also what can I use to remove tartar from their teeth?

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

First of all, get the dog a dental checkup. If the dog has cavities you don't know about this will cause a smell and lead to bad teeth.

For plaque reduction use a spray like this one: ... ontrol/dp/B00EAMTFD2/?tag=thrif06-20

You can also get dog toothpaste and toothbrushes or an additive that goes in their water.

November 15, 2010 Flag

I have a 11 year old miniature Dachshund and I have noticed that she has really bad breath that actually smells like her poop. I have also noticed that she sometime does eat her own poop.

I have asked a vet about it and they informed me that it is sometimes natural for some breeds to eat their own feces. I have tried giving her Milk Bones and brushing her teeth with doggie toothpaste, but it only works temporarily for a day or two.

My question is, are there any other home remedies to help her with her breath? I have heard from some people that garlic can help, but I have not tried it yet because I know that garlic is part of the onion family and onions are toxic to dogs. She also does not care for apples or carrots. Any other suggestions? Anything helps. Thanks.

By Anjelah from San Jose, CA

I agree with having a dental done, I too work as a dog Groomer at a vet hospital and I know that is a big problem having tartar build up it can also cause other health risks. Good luck. Groomer

October 23, 2010 Flag

I have a 3 year old Chihuahua mix. We got her via a couple who found her in a orchard where we assume she had been dumped. She is a wonderful dog with a huge heart and tons of love to give.

My question is - are there any natural cures for bad breath? I had her fixed and got her shots within days of getting her. My vet has told me that her teeth are in good shape. She has the stinky breath. I used human tooth paste and it worked, but I then found out that this was poison to her. Thanks for your help.

By Virginia G. from Porterville, CA

I finally discovered a remedy for bad breath in dogs, and the source was the guys at VitaHound. I notice their post and advice on substances that are effective at treating a dog's oral health. A few months ago I Googled cleaning dog teeth and their site appeared at the top, a quick review of their online library at was easy and I found info on the causes and remedies for treating a dog's bad breath. Their organization sells Petzlife oral care sprays and gels and their research reported their ingredients really work. Our family's dog Duke is now plaque and tarter free, further more his dog breath is permanently gone.

August 20, 2013 Flag

Black and tan dog.I have 5 dogs that I got when they were puppies. No one wanted them, so my husband and I took them in. We do have a problem. Three of the dogs have stinky breath. I mean really putrid smelling.
Can anyone help my family of 7?

By Sherry H.

Yes, the person is called a Veterinarian.

December 8, 2014 Flag

I have a 1 year old Yorkie with really bad breath. What can I do about it? Please don't suggest brushing his teeth because it takes 2 of us to brush his teeth and I have been almost bitten by him by brushing his teeth.

By zan

Get the germ killing spray. You just spray it into his mouth to help kill plaque and germs. You should also try a powder that you put in his food.

February 17, 2011 Flag

Are there any natural ways to improve a dog's breath?

By Judster from Canton, OH

The main cause of bad breath in dog's is dental disease. Please take your fur baby to his Vet for an exam, he might need his teeth cleaned. Good luck,

February 1, 2011 Flag

Why does my dog have bad breath? It isn't the food he has. Could it be something else serious?

By Joyce from Ontario, Canada

Bonn777, I'm so sorry for your loss. Thank you for sharing this information with other members.

May 17, 2006 Flag

I have a 11 year old cocker who has very bad breath. I thought it was due to her getting older (never had a dog this old before) then today I lifted up her mouth to look at her teeth and they were very rotten and a lot of them were loose. I'm going to get her a vet appointment, but I was wondering what this could do to her health? It's sad when your close to your pet and you see things like this. My 7 year old daughter and myself started crying together when we thought something could happen.

Thanks for your help,
Christina from San Antonio, TX

i have an 11 year old blind cocker with very bad breath and i also just realized his teeth are rotting away.

He seems to eat the hard food just fine, but it looks as though everyone thinks he should have soft food and go to the vet. It is heartbreaking to see them get old. thanks for the advice.

April 28, 2013 Flag

We are organic and natural product users. We have 3 dogs and their breath smells awful. Are there any natural remedies or does anyone know what we can do? We don't want to give them chemicals.

By bettyj1000

Your dog's bad breath could be from their teeth or any number of problems. Please talk to your Veterinarian and good luck.

July 20, 2013 Flag

We have a mixed small breed dog who is 13 yrs old. His teeth were bad when we got him and he will not let us anywhere his mouth. His breath is horrible and he has to eat soft food because his teeth are so bad. We tried the stuff that you spray in his mouth with no results. Does anybody know of anything that will help his breath or his teeth. The vet has said he is too old and fragile to go under to get his teeth cleaned.

By Jan

What I use for my two girls, both are 9 years old, is ProDen Plaque Off Animal. It really helps remove the plaque and bad breath. All you need is one tiny scoop a day. Scooper is included. I get mine from

Hope this helps you as much as it has helped me.

Load More
Pets Dogs HealthMay 1, 2013
Credit history document.
Getting a Loan With Bad Credit
Woman with bad breath covering her mouth.
Getting Rid of Garlic Breath
unwrapped gum on top of several foil wrapped pieces
Uses for Chewing Gum
Photo of woman covering her mouth with her turtle nick.
Remedies for Bad Breath