Browsing: Remedies for a Dog's Bad Breath

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Remedies for a Dog's Bad Breath

Dogs can have problems with teeth and gums, or it can be a sign of another health issue. This guide is about remedies for a dog's bad breath.

Jack Russell Terrier with bad breath.
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

July 7, 2016 Flag

This is a guide about puppy with bad breath. Puppies can have very bad breath when they are quite young.

Yawning beagle next to man making a yucky face

Comment On This PostMoreRead More...Was this helpful?Helpful? Yes

May 24, 2016 Flag

There has to be something for a dog's bad breath other than greenish and chews. And what can cause the bad breath other than teeth? Also what can I use to remove tartar from their teeth?

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

First of all, get the dog a dental checkup. If the dog has cavities you don't know about this will cause a smell and lead to bad teeth.

For plaque reduction use a spray like this one: http://smile.amazon.com/Arm-Hammer- ... ;sr=1-9&keywords=dog+tooth+spray

You can also get dog toothpaste and toothbrushes or an additive that goes in their water.

October 4, 2015 Flag

Anyone have any ideas as to what I can do for a puppy with stinky breath? I have a five month old Cocker and his breath stinks like anal glands. I brush his teeth at least every other day and am trying to do this more frequently. He does not have access to the litterbox and because I work from home and he's my shadow, I can safely say he's not pooping anywhere/eating stool. I live in an apartment, so he's not outside unless he's leashed, and because he'll grab everything, I'm super watchful as to what's on the ground so he doesn't eat something harmful or just plain gross.

He was just at the vet less than a week ago for a neuter and hernia repair, and had a full mouth check and cleaning while he was under due to a broken puppy tooth that needed to be pulled. There's no infection, abscess, something trapped in his teeth, and they did a full exam and bloodwork before putting him under. There's no apparent reason for the nasty breath, but it's raunchy.

It's been a long time since I had a puppy, so is this kind of normal for teething puppies? He has tips of some adult teeth starting to break through, so maybe he has ick-breath because of that? Are there any home remedies I can try to make his puppy smoochies a little less ripe?

Thanks in advance for any ideas!

The problem may be in your dog's digestive system. I believe the dog is not digesting his food properly and food is rotting in his gut.

Switch to a high-quality food with probiotics such as Canidae.

Read More Answers...

November 15, 2010 Flag

I have a 11 year old miniature Dachshund and I have noticed that she has really bad breath that actually smells like her poop. I have also noticed that she sometime does eat her own poop.

I have asked a vet about it and they informed me that it is sometimes natural for some breeds to eat their own feces. I have tried giving her Milk Bones and brushing her teeth with doggie toothpaste, but it only works temporarily for a day or two.

My question is, are there any other home remedies to help her with her breath? I have heard from some people that garlic can help, but I have not tried it yet because I know that garlic is part of the onion family and onions are toxic to dogs. She also does not care for apples or carrots. Any other suggestions? Anything helps. Thanks.

By Anjelah from San Jose, CA

If any dog eats poop give them some pineapple when eating . For some reason pinapple in the poop dogs dont like the taste of it. This remedy has worked for me and many of my friends.

Read More Answers...

October 23, 2010 Flag

I have a 3 year old Chihuahua mix. We got her via a couple who found her in a orchard where we assume she had been dumped. She is a wonderful dog with a huge heart and tons of love to give.

My question is - are there any natural cures for bad breath? I had her fixed and got her shots within days of getting her. My vet has told me that her teeth are in good shape. She has the stinky breath. I used human tooth paste and it worked, but I then found out that this was poison to her. Thanks for your help.

By Virginia G. from Porterville, CA

Ive been desperately scouring the web for dog bad breath remedies. I recently viewed a segment on the Dr Oz show with the experts from VitaHound. I was unaware of the health ramifications a dog's poor oral health has on their physical condition. Our family has owned dogs for over 40 years and this is the first time I have been aware of these concerns, nevertheless I'm willing to clean our dog's teeth I just want to be doing it right.

Read More Answers...

August 20, 2013 Flag

Black and tan dog.I have 5 dogs that I got when they were puppies. No one wanted them, so my husband and I took them in. We do have a problem. Three of the dogs have stinky breath. I mean really putrid smelling.
      Can anyone help my family of 7?
      Thanks.

By Sherry H.

They made need some attention to their teeth - take them to the vet. He can remove any teeth that may have gone bad or they may have gum disease. This also needs to be checked by the vet.

Read More Answers...

December 8, 2014 Flag

I have a 1 year old Yorkie with really bad breath. What can I do about it? Please don't suggest brushing his teeth because it takes 2 of us to brush his teeth and I have been almost bitten by him by brushing his teeth.

By zan

Have you had his teeth examined by a vet? Many times bad breath signals an infected tooth.

Read More Answers...

February 1, 2011 Flag

Why does my dog have bad breath? It isn't the food he has. Could it be something else serious?

By Joyce from Ontario, Canada

More hugs to bonn7777 on the loss of your furbaby; Joyce, please get your boy in for a checkup. It could be as simple as dental problems/gum disease or symptomatic of much, much more. Often it is one of the early symptoms of something more serious--the sooner it's assessed, the better.

Read More Answers...

May 17, 2006 Flag

I have a 11 year old cocker who has very bad breath. I thought it was due to her getting older (never had a dog this old before) then today I lifted up her mouth to look at her teeth and they were very rotten and a lot of them were loose. I'm going to get her a vet appointment, but I was wondering what this could do to her health? It's sad when your close to your pet and you see things like this. My 7 year old daughter and myself started crying together when we thought something could happen.

Thanks for your help,
      Christina from San Antonio, TX

I have the same problem with my manchester terrier. He goes to the vet on a regular schdule his whole life and I had to switched vet because I moved and I ask him about the breath problem and cleaning well he told me he is to old to be put under and get his teeth cleaned well now it's been 6 months and i noticed that his gums and teeth are very bad so my questions is what can you do to make him more comfortable eating I know to give him soft food but it has to be painful with a bad tooth .

Read More Answers...

April 28, 2013 Flag

We are organic and natural product users. We have 3 dogs and their breath smells awful. Are there any natural remedies or does anyone know what we can do? We don't want to give them chemicals.
      Thanks.

By bettyj1000

Your dog's bad breath could be from their teeth or any number of problems. Please talk to your Veterinarian and good luck.

July 20, 2013 Flag

We have a mixed small breed dog who is 13 yrs old. His teeth were bad when we got him and he will not let us anywhere his mouth. His breath is horrible and he has to eat soft food because his teeth are so bad. We tried the stuff that you spray in his mouth with no results. Does anybody know of anything that will help his breath or his teeth. The vet has said he is too old and fragile to go under to get his teeth cleaned.

By Jan

I give my two girls Pro Den Plaque Off. Both are 9 years old.

I get it from www.seniorpetproducts.com

This stuff works great to remove the plaque and bad breath.

Read More Answers...

February 17, 2011 Flag

Are there any natural ways to improve a dog's breath?

By Judster from Canton, OH

The main cause of bad breath in dog's is dental disease. Please take your fur baby to his Vet for an exam, he might need his teeth cleaned. Good luck,

Read More Answers...

January 27, 2011 Flag

What can I give my dog for bad breath?

By missy from Navasota, TX

I found an interesting thing online that cured my dogs bad breath. I have a German Shepherd, and well he eats healthy. Plaque attack was recommended by my vet due to its ingredients.

http://as-seen-on-tv-promotions.com/pet-care/plaque-attack-182

I only give it to him about once a week now. and my wife really likes the fact that he has better breath. Id give that a shot.

Read More Answers...

April 23, 2009 Flag

My Shih Tzu has bad breath. Is that common? I would like to know what to do about it. It does not bother me but my daughter and son cannot stand it.

By Bird Watcher from Niagara Falls, Canada

Many times bad breath indicates an infected tooth so you should take your dog to your vet and have teeth checked.

Read More Answers...

August 14, 2009 Flag

I have a little dog, part Chihuahua and part Pomeranian. He is 7 and was diagnosed with lymphoma (leukemia) in May. The last month his breath started to smell so bad, really bad. I have tried the Denta bones, but they don't seem to help. Any suggestions?

By pico from St. Paul, AB

He's been to the vet, he is losing his teeth. I love, love, love him but the smell is awful. Both of us need a solution.

Read More Answers...
      Load More
      Pets Dogs HealthMay 1, 2013
      Credit history document.
      Getting a Loan With Bad Credit
      Woman with bad breath covering her mouth.
      Getting Rid of Garlic Breath
      unwrapped gum on top of several foil wrapped pieces
      Uses for Chewing Gum
      Photo of woman covering her mouth with her turtle nick.
      Remedies for Bad Breath
      © 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on July 22, 2016 at 8:04:19 PM on 10.0.0.120 in 926 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.