Removing Burn Marks from Stainless Steel Pot

My daughter used my stainless steel pan when I was out and used a high flame and now my pan is a dark mess. Is there anything that can restore the color?

By frustrated 2 from Baltimore, MD

Answers:

Try soaking in pickle juice for about an hour then use a non abrasive scrub pad like those green ones, with a cleanser. I prefer baking soda. Maybe Comet Cleaner, just make sure there is no bleach or chlorine. (06/12/2009)

Editor's Note: The green scrub pads tend to be rather abrasive. I would recommend the blue ones sold for use on Teflon. There are even less abrasive ones available for glass and other surfaces you don't want to scratch.

By pogrl06

Cover the outside with ketchup and let it sit for an hour or so, then scrub it off. Cook some rhubarb in it and it will sparkle. Worked for me after we had a house fire. The restoration people told me about this method. (06/13/2009)

By catastrofy

Pickle juice is acidic and could make the steel darken. I would use something like Barkeepers Friend. It's a scrubbing powder, but something that is high alkaline would work. Drain cleaner is like that. They use sodium hydroxide to cut drain crud, but use the liquid kind. Use gloves with it and try just using half and half with water. I'm pretty sure this will work, but I'd keep an eye on it and don't leave it alone. Pickle juice would clean aluminum pans. The scrub powder you could put on the pan when it is really wet and let it sit for awhile. (06/13/2009)

By c t

Comet has chlorine in it, and use a scrub pad you'd use on Teflon. (06/13/2009)

By c t

Oops! Forgot to say; scrub with a non-abrasive scrubber or sponge (the nylon ones work well), not the steel wool ones. (06/13/2009)

By catastrofy

A badly burned stainless steel pan
Cleaning Stainless Steel Cookware
paint can with red paint
Painting Stainless Steel
Stainless Steel Cookware
Switching to Stainless Steel Cookware
Pot with burnt residue on the left and the same pot cleaned on the right
Cleaning Burnt Sugar from a Stainless Steel Pot
A pregnant woman rubbing cream in her belly to prevent stretch marks.
Preventing Stretch Marks
🎉
🎄