Removing Burn Marks from a Stainless Steel Pot

Due to my negligence, water dried up in my cooking pot and there are black and rainbow patches of stains on some internal and external surface of the pot. How can I remove and clean them?

By Grace from Boston

Removing Burn Marks from Stainless Steel Pot

I would try Bar keeper's friend. It's a powder cleaner in a can like Comet or Ajax. (Gold with some writing on it.) It's about 2$ a can. (02/17/2010)

By Kbritt87

Liberally pour a little tomato sauce or ketchup in the pan and smear it and leave it for 3 to 4 hours in the pan. The black marks and the rainbow color easily vanishes and you tend to give a new look to your stainless steel pan. (02/18/2010)

By jabast

I just burnt the inside of my pot. Tried dish liquid and water, it didn't work. Then I thought how borax works on so many things, I heated water and about a tablespoon of borax. This loosened most so I could scrap it with a metal utensil. Now I have a little of Fume Free oven cleaner working on it. (02/20/2010)

By suem1009

A badly burned stainless steel pan
Cleaning Stainless Steel Cookware
paint can with red paint
Painting Stainless Steel
Stainless Steel Cookware
Switching to Stainless Steel Cookware
Pot with burnt residue on the left and the same pot cleaned on the right
Cleaning Burnt Sugar from a Stainless Steel Pot
A pregnant woman rubbing cream in her belly to prevent stretch marks.
Preventing Stretch Marks