How do you get rid of a burnt smell in a microwave?
By Dave from Bensalem, PA
1. Boil slices of lemon in a bowl of water inside the microwave for five minutes. Wipe down.
2. Sprinkle baking soda all over the inside and scrub with the open flesh of 1/2 a lemon. Rinse, wipe down.
3. Place charcoal inside, shut and leave for 24 hours.
Good luck! I tried everything imaginable including leaving it outside overnight, and I finally just bought a new microwave. (05/01/2010)
Put a cup half full of white vinegar in the microwave. Put the timer on high for about 5 minutes, keeping an eye on it the entire time. Let it boil for a few minutes. Turn off microwave, and in about 5 minutes, take out the cup with vinegar, and wipe down the entire inside, door jams and glass. Do this 2x and the smell will be gone. (05/02/2010)
Vinegar helps a lot but watch it carefully, I added 2/3 cup vinegar in a Pyrex class cup and initially it did boil, then I continued to boil, not noticing that it was spilling over and evaporating, suddenly the microwave door bursts open. Be sure to dilute certain things.
I then tried coffee and water to a boil, that helped as well, since the smell of vinegar lingered. Finally the vanilla in water to a boil helped, tremendously. As with anything, keep an eye on the microwave to prevent over spills and pops! (05/11/2010)
Add your voice! Click below to comment. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!