Browsing: Removing Cooking Odors From Your Home

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Removing Cooking Odors From Your Home

Delicious and flavorful foods like fish or curry can often cause lingering odors in the kitchen.This guide is about removing cooking odors from your home.

Odors from cooking food.
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

June 2, 2016 Flag

This is a guide about eliminating cooking smells after frying fish. The odor of recently fried fish can linger for awhile.

Fish fillets being fried in hot oil in a frying pan on stove

December 14, 2010 Flag

I fried pancakes 2 days ago and can't get rid of the fried oil smell. Can anybody help?

By Maziebabe from Redditch

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

There are oodles of great ideas in the ThriftyFun Archives below the comments here. Just scroll down. I love the citrus peel idea but the others will work too. :-)

First off, check that none of the oil has spilled into the burner pans. Wipe down the stove and wall behind the cooking area with white vinegar. Then wipe with plain water. Nehmah

For me, I'll do the same thing is to clean but when you are actually doing it open the windows or doors so that it'll take the smell away that's what I usually do when I cook things.

Not when it's -20, in northern wisc.

October 13, 2005 Flag

I am a university student and this year I have two foreign students from China living with me. Their food has a very strong smell, and they cook 3 times a day, sometimes more.

I clean twice a week, scrub every surface I can with either Mr. Clean or bleach and water, and the house smells fresh again. As soon as they cook again though, the entire house reeks to the point that its making me sick.

I've tried bowls of vinegar, baking soda, Febreze, air fresheners, boiling water and cinnamon and vinegar. They all help but they do not kill the odor, and I need something that will deodorize all day long. I'm at the end of my rope, and cannot find a solution, any ideas?

Candice from Windsor, ONT, Canada

There is an air freshener I purchased at Meijer. It was around $3.50. It is orange scented and has charcoal in it which absorbs odors. It is a round plastic bowl. White in color. You just peel off the top and after about a month the gel inside dries up. I use them in closets and have 1 in my car. They are pretty strong scented. It was on the top shelf with the other air freshners.

Buy an overpriced air cleaner and use it in the kitchen. Can the roomies cook on a patio?

A real estate agent made the same comment to me years ago about grease infiltrating every nook and cranny of the house.

Try boiling vinegar on the stove. You can use straight vinegar or add some water. If it's grease on the walls, then you need to spray the walls with vinegar and wipe.

Move them out.

Read More Answers...

March 28, 2010 Flag

How do I get rid of the fish odor which lingers throughout the house? I have tried lemon, vinegar, and disinfectant sprays to no avail. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated Thank you.

By Rickie

Fish odor from cooking fish? The best thing is to open the windows and let fresh air in but in cold weather (or hot) this isn't always possible. I like to burn some sticks of incense to get rid of strong odors. Then you have the incense smell and that goes away after a few hours.

Our front porch had a potent stench from old fish stones left over in a small aquarium. we cleaned up floor and sprayed alot of odor ban disinfectant cleaner. you buy it at Sam's club.

Get some Fresh-Wave spray, and use that.

check on google where you can buy it in your area.

November 9, 2004 Flag

After frying fish or something that leaves a lingering odor in the house. Put out several bowls with about a 1/2 cup white vinegar, particularly in the kitchen, for several hours or overnight. The odor will disappear. By Pam Rose

February 25, 2014 Flag

When frying fish in the house after frying fish, use apple cider vinegar. Boil in a large or medium pot for between thirty minutes and an hour. Watch closely and you will not smell fish in your place. Try it, you will like the difference. It will smell very fresh and nice.

March 16, 2005 Flag

A cup of vinegar set on the kitchen counter will help eliminate kitchen odors.

February 26, 2008 Flag

After cooking fish, broccoli or anything with an odor, simply set a bowl of vinegar in the room overnight and the odor will be gone.

By Debra from Hampton, Tennessee

January 4, 2005 Flag

Help! my house mate is a wimp when it comes to garlic odor. I need to remove the smell so I can continue cooking.

- Valerie Smith

get a Prozone air purifier or OZIUM air freshener.......they are great......and good for keeping your whole house smelling fresh.....my ex mother in law (my friend, some good things do come from the bad) bought our family Prozone as a gift and it is wonderful......no more musty basement smell or dog smell and we have 3 dogs.....not to mention three teens......she uses hers to reduce cooking smells and it works awesome......well worth the money but they are spendy......

But if you want something with little cost try Ozium air freshener....it's a small bottle but a little goes a long way and you can get it at most walmarts....and some car part stores

try setting out a bowl of white vinegar.

Boil a pot of water with cinnamon in it. It will take most odors out in a room. Lana - Des Plaines, IL

Home and Garden Cleaning OdorsApril 10, 2013
cigarette smell computer
Removing Cigarette Smoke Odors from a Computer
Odor in a Room
Removing Odors in a Room
large couch
Removing Odors from Furniture
Coconuts
Cooking With Coconut Oil
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on August 21, 2016 at 6:49:03 PM on 10.0.2.7 in 6 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.